Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a 400 dollar card i would expect it to shine . it does but it dosent . the bfg 6800gt is not all its cracked to be . i loaded far cry hit auto detect and it DETECTED my settings as low . so i set them to high get in the game and i guess where shadows are its pitch black.i kill a baddie before i here the sound being shot. bfv artifacting . doom3 works great once you get past the first few seconds of loading then its smooth 90% of the time. so for for 400 with those problems its going back . it benches nice but i dont play benchmarks

so i guess its back to ati for me .so long nvidia.....

·
Registered
698 Posts
thats quite odd, have you defragmented lately? I only ask because I find my system runs appriciably slower when I havent defraged, there are a number of other factors it could be, I mean you might just need a driver update, or maybe the new drivers or buggy.

I wouldnt throw a 400 dollar card in the trash because it gave me a little trouble, I would do whatever I could to fix it, but hey thats just me.

159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i spend maybe 30 minutes a day makeing sure everything is clean an updated . i got the card today installed the original drivers benched it .everything benched cept o5 but that was a oc problem . which i fixed . then i updated to the latest drivers benched and scores fell by 2000 with aquamark .so i started trying bfv redline though the screen. then i played doom on the highest setings it was smooth everywhere it didnt matter ie badies show up . then far cry well that was a joke. so fir all this new tech i got to mess with it to get it to perform like it should. atleat my 9600 xt was easy to udate and for the most part performed like it should with no help from me.

but on a lighter note the gt does perform way way better than the xt . ill try to work it out and if not best but will be getting it back

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hey, whatever floats your boat. It sounds like you're putting effort into it and its not going well, you may have a pooch card or maybe your motherboard dosent like the card much. If all else failsl you can pick up an x800 Pro for about that much, or if your willing to spend a little more an x800 XT.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a Gainward 2400 GS.... So it is a nVIDIA 6800 GT.... I play Farcry with it as well. My auto detect settings are all high to ultra high.... I do occationally get the studder..... I upgraded to the newest version of Farcry and that helped. I think it is more to do with the overclocking than the VC....

3dmark05 score of 4909....

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hey thanks for that bit of news, because im going to buy that same card. Awsome!

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
mine is a PNY model though
my computer wasnt recognizeing it as AGP8x
i had to update my chipset drivers for it to be recognized..
do this if you havent allready
right click desktop
select settings
click advanced (you prolly know where this is going)
click on geforce 6800gt tab

now on the first display that comes up has an nvidia logo and 6800 gt
look under that it should say bus AGP 8x
mine said PCIx0 when i first installed it
after i installed the chip set this fixed it

also on the thingie that pops out to the left click on agp settings
and make sure all of those are optimal...
some are tricky to get optimal....

how does your nalu demo run???
mine ran like ****e before i fixed that...
also had to update to the latest drivers...
i installed a beta version
anyways i hope i helped

·
Registered
698 Posts
^^ Do what he said, sounds like that might be your problem

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denmor

^^ Do what he said, sounds like that might be your problem

Exactly. Also, I have tried just about every single driver. I don't know which one you are using, but I get the best results with the 66.77's, found at www.guru3d.com As for Doom 3, there are a lot of settings that need to be changed to get it to run right. Clicking on "detect" is worthless. The game is set up so that it's default cache settings really suck. Once I figured this out, my performance increased DRAMATICALLY! If you want some help with that, just pm me.
I would highly suggest checking out everything you can before you return the card.

159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a update for far cry fixed far cry . im gonna update all the games i play and work through this . it realy is a good card in fact all the top end cards are good . im just gonna have to learn nvidias way of doing things.

after hours of reading reviews ,forums , and comparing specs the gt seemed like the best bang for the buck. though not cheap but not insanlly expensive .

ill try rhe 66.77 drivers i got the latest from nzone. also should 'fast write' be on or off? it says its not optimal and my os dosent suport it

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Turn fast-write off and also turn it off in mobo BIOS if its not already...

Another thing you can do is get the 66.77 Drivers or the 66.81 drivers and mod them as I have shown here http://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?t=5757&page=2 this will also improve graphics and up your FPS a few notches.

I went from 96.8FPS in Farcry to 102.3FPS with my settings set on High and Ultra High... 1027x768 AAxOFF AFxOFF.

159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaDLocK

Turn fast-write off and also turn it off in mobo BIOS if its not already...

Another thing you can do is get the 66.77 Drivers or the 66.81 drivers and mod them as I have shown here http://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?t=5757&page=2 this will also improve graphics and up your FPS a few notches.

I went from 96.8FPS in Farcry to 102.3FPS with my settings set on High and Ultra High... 1027x768 AAxOFF AFxOFF.

thanks ill do the above also about 'flashing' the bios . will flash it to gigabyetes gt bios inable me to use the v2 tunner ? or will it mees stuff up?

·
Banned
179 Posts
u might have spyware on it if u download |MG| Free Download - Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.05 and u will find twice as much with 6.0 i find a 5fps decrease when i dont use it also uninstall it when ur done i just do that so i have more space also disc cleanup that helps dont forget to delete all old restore points in that to cuz that takes up alot of space also ur registry could be cleaned up so try this!!!!! |MG| Free Download - RegScrubXP 3.25 cleans alot of errors working hard in ur backround and its all free! I got Doom3 speeds to 25.4 with Ge-force fx 5200!!
medium quality vsync on!

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] / llcopk

thanks ill do the above also about 'flashing' the bios . will flash it to gigabyetes gt bios inable me to use the v2 tunner ? or will it mees stuff up?

Dont flash... Flashing wont yield any better results... Plus I expect the BFG and Gigabyte will use different makes or memory and then you would have to edit the BIOS.

159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cchu2004

u might have spyware on it if u download |MG| Free Download - Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.05 and u will find twice as much with 6.0 i find a 5fps decrease when i dont use it also uninstall it when ur done i just do that so i have more space also disc cleanup that helps dont forget to delete all old restore points in that to cuz that takes up alot of space also ur registry could be cleaned up sto try this!!!!! |MG| Free Download - RegScrubXP 3.25 cleans alot up so ur performance will increase 25.4fps with Ge-force fx 5200!!

i dont have a spyware problem i all ready got that covered thanks though.

k i went into the bios and couldnt find a fast write tab . but i turned of spread spectrum and the irc delay trans thing. also the option to set the agp frec what should that be set at its on auto ?

k i wont flash the bios

·
Banned
179 Posts
For my gpu i found better performance with 61.77 drivers but i dont got a 6800 so it may b diff idk give it a shot increased my fps 16
lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts