Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been a couple of months since I got my new computer and I'm just not impressed with the H50's performance. I have it running with two push/pull 1850RPM Gentle Typhoons set as intake. Load temps reach 80°C and idle temps after a long gaming session are around 48°C. I don't know the ambient temps but it gets pretty hot in the room because of the computer.

Can you suggest anything to improve those temps?

If not, how much do you figure one can get for a 2-month old H50 (the included Corsair fan is brand new, never used) ?

And what's a good cooler I could get to replace the H50 with the money I get from selling it? I could keep the two aforementioned Gentle Typhoons if useful.

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I need to reseat it, I don't know. But the H50's retention system gave me such trouble the first time I put it together, I don't feel like dealing with it anymore.

·
I TeK things...
17,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shub View Post
Maybe I need to reseat it, I don't know. But the H50's retention system gave me such trouble the first time I put it together, I don't feel like dealing with it anymore.
Try a reseat. Sounds like its not on tight enough. Now keep in mind your ambient temp, with the H50 you are going to idle at 8-12C above ambient at best depending how much voltage you are running through your CPU. If possible try lower your vcore, helped me with my H50. I now idle at 33C, load at 56C. Perfectly fine with me.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
did you use the h50"s paste from new or use something better i wonder.

·
Bowser Has Ryzen!!
4,735 Posts
Quote:
did you use the h50"s paste from new or use something better i wonder.
The H50's paste is one of the best rated there is. I buy syringes of it and use it religiously.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Make sure you tightened it enough. I know when I first installed my H50, the temps were OK and they slowly got worse as the thermal paste set and was squeezed in between the block and CPU. I re-tightened it and now my temps are golden. Also don't forget, when you tighten, do it in a cross pattern, like tightening bolts on a tire.

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
You said your H50 fan/rad/fan is ''set as intake''.

So, do you have:
(a) your H50 fan/rad/fan installed in the rear upper case fan opening
(b) the back of your 922 sits fairly close to the wall behind. Say, less than 6'' away.

If both are true, then there is one possibility: Hot air exhausted out of your HD5870 gets accumulated and rises up and then get sucked in by the intake fan sitting higher up. This causes the rad's cooling performance to decrease.
You can try reversing the fan direction to set the 2 fans as ''exhaust'' and see if this makes a significant difference?

The possibility is even higher if your room is small and not well ventilated. I get this impression as you said your room can get pretty hot because of the computer.
Make sure the computer has good ventilation, not just inside the case but also outside in its vicinity.

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, so my first option is to reverse the airflow, I can do that. Will try tonight. Thanks!

And yes I used the stock gunk.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you have the pump hooked up to the CPU Fan header (probably do) make sure that you set the CPU fan speed control in the BIOS to manual and set it to max. Don't let it adjust the pump speed.

Also try a re-seat of the pump. The mounting system is a PITA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shub
View Post

Alright, so my first option is to reverse the airflow, I can do that. Will try tonight. Thanks!

And yes I used the stock gunk.

See the first FAQ in the first post of this thread for intake/exhaust. It is agreed that exhaust yields better system temp than intake.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Mine actually works better as exhaust. It's just something you have to physically try and see what happens. Anyone saying that yours will work better this way or that way is just guessing unless they have the exact same set up as you. Personally, I like the idea of NOT having all that hot air blown inside the case.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shub
View Post

So it's been a couple of months since I got my new computer and I'm just not impressed with the H50's performance. I have it running with two push/pull 1850RPM Gentle Typhoons set as intake. Load temps reach 80°C and idle temps after a long gaming session are around 48°C. I don't know the ambient temps but it gets pretty hot in the room because of the computer.

Can you suggest anything to improve those temps?

If not, how much do you figure one can get for a 2-month old H50 (the included Corsair fan is brand new, never used) ?

And what's a good cooler I could get to replace the H50 with the money I get from selling it? I could keep the two aforementioned Gentle Typhoons if useful.

80c at 4ghz? If so, im getting the same temps at 4ghz.. not very impressed with my H50 either

Thinking of either lapping it or getting a different cooler such as H70 or a real water loop

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Confessed
View Post

That doesn't change the fact that they put way too much.

Reseat with whatever paste you have. Dot method. Keep as intake.

its fine...

its what I use and its awesome

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Intake will give you lower cpu/core temps. Exhaust will keep your case and other components cooler. Seems like the OP is trying to lower cpu/core temps more than case temps so intake is the logical choice here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanglx302
View Post

Mine actually works better as exhaust. It's just something you have to physically try and see what happens. Anyone saying that yours will work better this way or that way is just guessing unless they have the exact same set up as you. Personally, I like the idea of NOT having all that hot air blown inside the case.

Interesting how you got lower cpu/core temps with an exhaust setup

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MicahFett
View Post

See the first FAQ in the first post of this thread for intake/exhaust. It is agreed that exhaust yields better system temp than intake.

Thats a complete farce. Any system with exhaust fans on the top of their case should be running intake. The only reason you would want exhaust is if you don't have any case fans or have a small case.

Running intake will knock 3-4C off of your temps and will hardly affect your case temps at all.

And even if it is slightly worse does that even really matter? What else is temperature sensitive in your case? Its not going to affect the GPU, since the hot air is above the GPU.

@OP something is definitely wrong with your setup. I'm running with just the stock Corsair fan (intake ofc) and my gaming temps range between 43-48C, and folding temps are just 53C.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThumperSD View Post
Interesting how you got lower cpu/core temps with an exhaust setup
I think it's because I have a 140mm top fan and it pretty much blows right at the "pushing" 120mm fan on the rad.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikepahl318 View Post
Confessed good point.

I switched from AS5 to NT-H1 and wont ever go back.
Love my NH-D14 as well, incredible performance....

Id say try lapping. works great if done right
AS5 to NT-H1..... interesting. Have you lapped your HSF or CPU?

Those two can't really be compared head to head, it has everything to do with viscosity. ASC actually outperforms NT-H1.

Here is why:
Thermal Conductance
Silver 4.29 W/cmK
Aluminum 2.37 W/cmK
Zinc 1.16 W/cmK

NT-H1 is an aluminum oxide based paste with high viscosity i.e. its thick. This works well for uneven surfaces as it fills pits and gaps better with less runout. However, aluminum has a lower heat transfer rate than silver.

AS5- Is polysynthetic silver and has a very low viscosity i.e. it is very thin. This works best for smooth matched surfaces as it is more likely to provide maximum micro dip fill while squeezing out fairly easy making max surface/surface contact. However this is a drawback on highly uneven/pitted surfaces as there is the possibility of more squeeze out. AS5 also has a higher thermal transfer rate usually averaging 1 degree C lower than NT-H1.

ASC(Artic Silver Ceramique) is a zinc oxide grease which also has a high viscosity and is fairly thick, however it performs slightly better than NT-H1 by .1 to .15 C due to its viscosity as it is slightly thicker than NT-H1 and once set will not move.

Am I saying NT-H1 is bad? No. However, I can get ASC at my local radio shack for 3.99 for a tube that is the same size as the 8 to 10$ NT-H1 tube. And AS5 is only 4.99$

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Hey i just go by the benchmarks not the "tech specs". Iv seen a lot fo reviews of NT-H1 stomping AS5, and even more where NT-H1 beats AS5 by a 1C margin...
http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...ua_nt_h1/5.htm
I dig what your saying about AS5 being 4$ at Radio shack, and by all means its not worth 1C...
But lapping might do you some good. My HSF doesnt need to be lapped becuase the Noctuas come with a mirror finish.http://www.geeksmack.net/content_med...a_nh_d14_3.jpg
My CPU is lapped, and I spent a ton of time making sure it was perfect. really helped me out. If you do it read several guides and make sure its done right. Else youll notice a rise in temps.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts