Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,223 Posts
Are you saying you lost unique rep, but not real rep when a thread you posted on (and your post got a rep) and then the thread got deleted?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:


Originally Posted by maxhudson
View Post

Are you saying you lost unique rep, but not real rep when a thread you posted on (and your post got a rep) and then the thread got deleted?

Pretty much exactly that.

I posted, I got rep, thread was deleted, I lost unique rep only.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,944 Posts
If you have 5 different posts and receive 1 rep for reach post from the same person, then you will get 1 unique rep point from that because all 5 reps came from 1 person. But if those 5 different posts get 1 rep each from 5 different people, then you get 5 unique rep points.

Either way though, the count of your actual rep points always reflects the amount of actual rep points you have received.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I understand that, but I don't understand why unique rep is deleted. Having a repped post get deleted doesn't suddenly mean the history was altered so that somebody else gave the rep.

I'm confuzzled!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,301 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralThrawn View Post
Yes, I understand that, but I don't understand why unique rep is deleted. Having a repped post get deleted doesn't suddenly mean the history was altered so that somebody else gave the rep.

I'm confuzzled!
I guess it's because, since each rep is logged and has a reference, that with the thread deleted you lose the reference to that rep, and thus the unique point. I've lost a dozen or so unique points to trashed topics, and got plenty mad over it at first, but it seems to just be how vB's rep system works, not necessarily how OCN itself works, so I live with it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,223 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp View Post
I guess it's because, since each rep is logged and has a reference, that with the thread deleted you lose the reference to that rep, and thus the unique point. I've lost a dozen or so unique points to trashed topics, and got plenty mad over it at first, but it seems to just be how vB's rep system works, not necessarily how OCN itself works, so I live with it.
That doesnt make sense though because without the reference it cant give you the actual rep point either...
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralThrawn View Post
Yes, I understand that, but I don't understand why unique rep is deleted. Having a repped post get deleted doesn't suddenly mean the history was altered so that somebody else gave the rep.

I'm confuzzled!
I got you covered:

Let's say you have 10 posts that have all received rep points. Let's say 8 of those posts were repped by 8 different people and 2 of those were by the same person. Now you have 10 rep points and 8 unique rep. But now let's say that one of those posts gets deleted. Therefore, one unique rep point must also be removed since that post is now gone. Therefore, you'd still have 10 rep points, but now you'd have 7 unique rep points.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,301 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxhudson View Post
That doesnt make sense though because without the reference it cant give you the actual rep point either...
But the database (which only christina, BFRD, and admin can access) logs that point whether it has the reference or not; you just lose the unique point since it's not kept in the database (it relies on the reference, see).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I can see reason in it now. Rep is the number of time people have found me helpful, and unique rep is the number of my posts that have been found helpful. wait, that's not right.

Still, I dunno, it still feels weird.

Okay, let's just say that from the off, I DO understand how the system works, I just don't understand why that unique point has to evaporate.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralThrawn View Post
I think I can see reason in it now. Rep is the number of time people have found me helpful, and unique rep is the number of my posts that have been found helpful.

Still, I dunno, it still feels weird.
Almost.

Again: let's say you have only created 10 posts. Let's say that all 10 of those posts have received Rep points. But now let's say that only 9 people were involved in giving you Rep points for those 10 posts because 1 person decided to give you Rep for 2 of those 10 posts. So, that's 8 unique rep points because 2 posts out of the 10 were repped by the same person while the rest were by 9 different people. It's not 9 because the guy who Repped 2 of those 10 posts caused you to only get 1 unique rep point.

So, the unique rep point must go along with the post that's deleted, otherwise your unique rep count would become inaccurate.

Besides, it's not really a big deal.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,223 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralThrawn View Post
I think I can see reason in it now. Rep is the number of time people have found me helpful, and unique rep is the number of my posts that have been found helpful. wait, that's not right.

Still, I dunno, it still feels weird.

Okay, let's just say that from the off, I DO understand how the system works, I just don't understand why that unique point has to evaporate.
Because the number of unique reps you get is based off of the post, while the number of actual reps is kept in a database which is not dependant on the post.

If the post gets deleted, the unique rep that is based off the post is no longer there while the actual rep, that is based off the database is still there because it doesnt get affected by whether or not the post gets deleted
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top