Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ey
i just bought 2 320gb s2 HD's and have them external. Why i need more HD's u ask? well they just look funky and these external cases are really sexy, also for back up =P. Anyway, the problem is, neither of the 2 HD's are showing up in my computer, ive tried to attach them one at a time, seperatly, and even use the sata cable that came with it. Both are pluged into the USB atm, not showing up though. The add hardware wiz came up saying USB drive found yada yada. I also went thru device manager and it shows them there.
So as i said, they just dont show up on my computer.
cheers

·
Registered
395 Posts
have you checked that you have SATA enabled in the BIOS of your pc? can you connect other devices to the usb connections? have you tried installing them on another pc?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok still trying to get these to work. I tried them on my other PC's but they didnt work either, i assume not caus all my other PC's arnt SATA2 compatible.
im out of ides...

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Check the manual, you many have to set a jumper for SATA I.

Duh, wait, USB and SATA... what!

Anyway, did you try to format them?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Check the manual, you many have to set a jumper for SATA I.

Duh, wait, USB and SATA... what!

Anyway, did you try to format them?
i wudnt have the faintest idea how to format a drive without it being visable in my computer, other than at start up, but they dont show up there either.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Did a CD disk come with them?

·
Registered
693 Posts
have you formatted or partitioned the drives? If so then you have to add them as new hardware. This can be done either in device manager or in control panel.

• Rep+
Reactions: the_x'ed_man

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Did a CD disk come with them?
The HD's? nah, i have like 18 HD's, none have ever come with ANY accessories, ever. Just the HD, in some anti static plastic.
Or if your refering to the External enclosure, yes did come with a CD, installed it already.

·
Registered
693 Posts
You do have to partition the drives. You can either use a program or do it by going to control panel>>> administrative tools>>>>computer managemant>>>storage>>>>disc managemant.
When your setting up the drive you will be able to partition it and then give it a name (i.e. E:Backup1 or H:BACKUP; whatever you choose). after that you should be set.

• Rep+

·
Registered
395 Posts
i'll agree with that - connect the drives, partition them using the disk management console, then you should be able to see the drives in explorer. if you go into disk management console (start run, type diskmgmt.msc), you should see the drives, but they will probably show as nothing until you format them and assign drive letters to them.

let me know if this helps.

• Rep+
1 - 11 of 11 Posts