Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Twitch Streamer
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got some Team Group Xcalibur RAM.. 16GBs at 4000MHz. Timings are 18-20-20-44 @ 1.35V. The BIOS shows 4000MHz... Task manager shows 4000MHz.. but things like CPUZ and HWinfo64 show only 3600MHz? Has this happened to anyone else? I tried XMP and manually configuring the RAM to the correct timings and I get the same thing. I'm not sure if this is something BIOS (bios is also up to date) or possibly Windows related? I use a Gigabyte z390m gaming motherboard (it's rated up to like 4233MHz or something for RAM) and an i7 9700K CPU. I'll also note that this RAM technically isn't on the motherboards "accepted RAM" list. But I was under the impression most RAM would still run even if its not.. but may require some tweaks?

·
Twitch Streamer
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Attached are pictures of HWinfo64 and Task Manager showing two different things.

Attachments

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
Always trust hwinfo/cpuz for ram readings, never trust task manager. You can also run aida64 memory benchmark to compare 4000MHz score against 3600MHz score (4k/3.6k set in bios).

·
Twitch Streamer
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Always trust hwinfo/cpuz for ram readings, never trust task manager. You can also run aida64 memory benchmark to compare 4000MHz score against 3600MHz score (4k/3.6k set in bios).
i had a feeling HWin64 would be more accurate. I just wanted to verify that. The problem is that BIOS shows im running at 4000 but is never actually running at it. So i couldn't even run a test at 4000MHz if I wanted to.. EDIT: Unless you are thinking it's running at the correct speed even though it's saying 3600MHz and to run one in it's current state then change the timings down to 3600MHz manually and see if there is a difference?

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
Yep, keep the 4k in bios, run a test, change to 3.6k, run the test again, compare scores.

·
Twitch Streamer
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, keep the 4k in bios, run a test, change to 3.6k, run the test again, compare scores.
Good thought. I'll try it out and see what happens. Thanks.

·
Twitch Streamer
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK so i'm an idiot. I misread the BIOS. Even THOUGH its set to 4000MHz it's showing 3600MHz. So its definitely not hitting it.

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
"Gigabyte".

If new bios won't fix it then just return replace it.

·
Twitch Streamer
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Gigabyte".

If new bios won't fix it then just return replace it.
So you think the RAM just doesn't play nice with the MOBO? I mean it's technically not on the approved list. SOOO it makes sense.

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
It doesn't, simply no one updates QVL. All kits from all vendors use the same timings anyway, except for some oddballs. QVL is useless.

What is also worth noting that Z390M Gaming from Gigabyte is a T Topology board, it will work best when there are all 4 slots occupied.

·
Twitch Streamer
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called Gigabyte and they said i'm screwed. It's just not compatible at 4000MHz. I guess i'll stick with this for now and maybe buy a new motherboard later.

·
Twitch Streamer
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so further research shows this ram supposedly SHOULD work. the TeamGroup website specifically shows my motherboard with the speeds. Now i am confused

Attachments

·
Twitch Streamer
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The board might support the 4000MHz speed but maybe the IMC in your CPU can't.

Food for thought.
SHOOT. You're right. I didn't look at that. Someone on this forum just said to get 4000MHz RAM and you're golden... i assumed they knew the max speed for it cause I sure didn't. That's crap and ultimately my fault. Thanks for the suggestion. EDIT: PCPart picker shows up to 4400MHz for compatible RAM, though.. Man. I'm about to start drinking again. LOL

·
Registered
959 Posts
SHOOT. You're right. I didn't look at that. Someone on this forum just said to get 4000MHz RAM and you're golden... i assumed they knew the max speed for it cause I sure didn't. That's crap and ultimately my fault. Thanks for the suggestion. EDIT: PCPart picker shows up to 4400MHz for compatible RAM, though.. Man. I'm about to start drinking again. LOL
Looks like the ram overclock just needs some work :)

·
Banned
4 Posts
Task manager can report odd things, especially when busclock overclocking. In my experience with busclock overclocking on z390 with a 9900k, windows task manager would display accurate or very close to accurate ram frequency, but core frequency would only be displayed as high as the core multiplier without the busclock factored in.

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
It doesn't work this way... IMC has nothing to do with what you can set, it only depicts what you can boot with. If mobo can't set said frequency while telling it to do so, then it's borked. Yoi could try setting 133:100 DRAM to BCLK ratio or 100:100 and see if it fixes that issue. And make sure you have newest bios. I'd just return the motherboard and get some other.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts