Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the middle of a build early 2013 I was called to service and have been gone for over a year.. Now I'm back and not sure what to choose for a graphics card.. This is a pretty high end system (at the time) lol.. I will list the comps below..

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Core i7 3930k
16gb Corsair Dominator GT 2133mhz
Samsung 840 pro 256gb
3x 2TB WD black HDD

Additional Details: Everything water cooled - Will likely be a dual loop system
4x 480 radiators
2x Swiftech mcp655 pumps
Already have waterblocks mounted for cpu, ram, and chipset,

Based on the info above. Which graphics card should I go with? One suggestion I was given was to wait for Nvidia Maxwell. But to be honest, I hate to see all this hardware go to waste on waiting.. Perhaps if maxwell is release soon.

Edit: One Additional detail.. I have a triple monitor setup 3x asus vg248qe.

·
PC Evangelist
47,492 Posts
780 Ti, 290X

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
What those ^ guys said, although Maxwell has a slated release in about half a year or so. Depends if you can wait until then with a backup card or not.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Sli 780ti or sli titan black editions will do that system wonders.

·
Registered
357 Posts
High end Maxwell more than likely will not be soon. No one truly knows, but most aren't betting on it. Your system posted will last you for awhile because other than GPUs, there isn't much in the way of notable performance increases happening.

The best cards right now since you are on water would be the 780 Ti Classified or Classified Kingpin. Both have unlocked voltage for core, memory, bus, and have PWM control which helps in stabilizing overclocks and can give a few speed bins extra. The Classifed is cheaper, has better overclocking memory in general, and comes with a decently binned core. You should hit 1300 minimum with it. The Kingpin cost more and comes with a bit better binned core, but the memory is a bit of crapshoot (it is samsung and still great though). You will hit 1400 minimum on those unless you have terrible luck.

Thank you for your service.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies..

With my triple monitor setup, are there any games currently that could challenge the 780 Ti 3gb vram limit?
Which ever card I choose, I will be getting at least two of them.

BTW: My current video cards are 2x gtx580 3gb in sli... I had 3, but one died.

·
Retired but not dead!
7,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thork View Post

Thanks for the replies..

With my triple monitor setup, are there any games currently that could challenge the 780 Ti 3gb vram limit?

If you use a lot of AA, you may hit the limit.

How did the 580 do running them with it's 3gb?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the replies..

3Gb won't bottleneck you in any game atm. If you aren't planning on upgrading to 1440p/4K monitors soon, you will be good with the 780 Ti. But if you want to switch to 1440p/4K you might want to consider a Titan Black.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last night I played a little BF4 conquest large map on my current system (core i7 [email protected], 12gb ddr3 1600mhz, 2x gtx580 sli) with everything on ultra, I was hitting 1900mb..

·
Retired but not dead!
7,435 Posts
Quote:

Last night I played a little BF4 conquest large map on my current system (core i7 [email protected], 12gb ddr3 1600mhz, 2x gtx580 sli) with everything on ultra, I was hitting 1900mb..
There's your answer right there.

Video memory has turned into a marketing tool lately with the more is better argument being used in a lot of cases where it's not necessarily true.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was talking to a friend and he has two 780's and tells me he gets close to the 3gb limit playing @5670x1080 with all the goodies on in BF4.. I'd rather not buy a card that a game can already hit, or come close to its vram limit.. As for the 290, I'm sure its a great card, but demand has inflated its price.. I'm leaning toward the Titan Black for now.. I have a month before I'm actually home (visiting family atm)...

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:

I was talking to a friend and he has two 780's and tells me he gets close to the 3gb limit playing @5670x1080 with all the goodies on in BF4.. I'd rather not buy a card that a game can already hit, or come close to its vram limit.. As for the 290, I'm sure its a great card, but demand has inflated its price.. I'm leaning toward the Titan Black for now.. I have a month before I'm actually home (visiting family atm)...
if you ar eon USA there ARE R9 290 WITH AFTERMARKET COOLING for 499usd(check amazon or newegg) and the xfx one comes with BF4 for free and 2x r9 290 would costas the same as a titan black and outperform it by 20% or more

·
PC Evangelist
47,492 Posts
Quote:

Pretty sure you can get a reference 290X for less then $600 since you are going to water cool. AMD card shine at very high resolutions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts