Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, problem with my computer is that nothing shows up on the monitor. At first I thought it was the monitor but I tested it at a different computer and it worked fine. Then I tried taking out the graphics card and just hooking the monitor to the mobo and still nothing. When I turn on the power, the fans are running, heatsink runs, the graphics card fan is running and everything sounds normal. Anyone have an idea what may be the problem?
 

·
cd C:\TEMP\
Joined
·
2,309 Posts
Sounds suspiciously like a dead mobo... (no posts beeps etc.?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, i thought that might be the problem, I'm not too good with computers so I can't tell what post beeps are sorry, it sounds like a normal boot though. Thanks for the input, looking for second opinions. =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
827 Posts
If this only just happened or you were building a PC make sure your EVERYTHING is plugged in. My mobo wouldn't boot past 2 debug lights which meant the graphics card wasn't found but the graphics card fan was spinning. Turned out I forgot to attach my HDD to a molex.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chris, I have been running this system for about 1 year now, this is the first time something like this has happened. I have checked to make sure everything has been plugged in. I've tried booting several times in the past week but nothing has changed. I wish it could be as simple as something not plugged in, but it doesnt seem like thats the case. Being a gamer without a pc for almost 2 weeks, I've done every check that i could to make sure i had everything in the computer plugged in and running.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludragon311 View Post
Thanks Chris, I have been running this system for about 1 year now, this is the first time something like this has happened. I have checked to make sure everything has been plugged in. I've tried booting several times in the past week but nothing has changed. I wish it could be as simple as something not plugged in, but it doesnt seem like thats the case. Being a gamer without a pc for almost 2 weeks, I've done every check that i could to make sure i had everything in the computer plugged in and running.
Ah that must be terrible..2 weeks. I was almost close to kicking my computer to dust after 9 hours of failed boots. Is there not any debug lights or beeps on the motherboard? have you tried booting out of the case?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,043 Posts
Remove the CMOS battery for 5mins then power back on. You will be fine.
 

·
cd C:\TEMP\
Joined
·
2,309 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mhill2029 View Post
Remove the CMOS battery for 5mins then power back on. You will be fine.
Hmmm... never actually thought about the CMOS... good call... (you can also look for a reset jumper on your mobo to reset the CMOS to default... but the battery trick will also do this
)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol, yes it is pretty bad. I don't know what debug lights are, but there aren't any lights on the mobo when i try booting the system. I haven't tried taking it out of the case, I'm not too skilled at putting computers together and I don't want to mess anything up. My friend is going to have a look at it sometime this week, he helped me put the system together, I'll be sure to ask him to boot out of the case. =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludragon311 View Post
Lol, yes it is pretty bad. I don't know what debug lights are, but there aren't any lights on the mobo when i try booting the system. I haven't tried taking it out of the case, I'm not too skilled at putting computers together and I don't want to mess anything up. My friend is going to have a look at it sometime this week, he helped me put the system together, I'll be sure to ask him to boot out of the case. =)
Try the CMOS reset before you go to extremes
.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top