Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be better to replace these huge optical drives with more useful things.
Bigger and more powerful mobos, good video cards with proper cooling, HDDs, better cooling system overall and more ports. Things listed are more attractive to me in a laptop than even a blu-ray-rom. Nowadays you can replace these bulky disks with fast and compact flash memory.

EDIT: This idea is by no means to reduce the notebook size. It is for increasing the performance and/or cooling.

·
Premium Member
10,487 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwaterH4ck3r View Post
Every netbook ever
Yup.
I like Optical drives on laptops. The lack of an optical drive is one of the big reasons I will not get a netbook. I like to watch a movie now and then.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blupupher
View Post

Yup.
I like Optical drives on laptops. The lack of an optical drive is one of the big reasons I will not get a netbook. I like to watch a movie now and then.

I was going to get a netbook but I found out that it did not have a optical drive and also why would you get a good gfx card in a laptop but theirs nothing to install games on except having to make a iso and mount it everysing time which gets anoying.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blupupher
View Post

Yup.

That's why I have a TV, and an ipod. A laptop to me is a mobile work device, nothing more. If you use your laptop as a desktop replacement, however, I understand your sentiment.

·
Premium Member
10,487 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wamthesuperwam View Post
I was going to get a netbook but I found out that it did not have a optical drive and also why would you get a good gfx card in a laptop but theirs nothing to install games on except having to make a iso and mount it everysing time which gets anoying.
Good point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwaterH4ck3r View Post
That's why I have a TV, and an ipod. A laptop to me is a mobile work device, nothing more. If you use your laptop as a desktop replacement, however, I understand your sentiment.
An ipod screen is too small for me. You also need to have the movie ripped, converted and saved to watch it.
If I am on a trip and want to watch a movie, I can stop by any redbox pop it in the DVD player.
Same for programs. Every program I have bought comes with an install disk. Much easier to install from a disk rather than waiting for it to download or having to carry around an external optical drive.

I know some Dell laptops used to have a removeable optical drive that you could buy a battery pack to install in it's place. Do they still have that?

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
You can always get a USB CD Drive when you need one. Honestly I would rather have a 2nd video card or even a 2nd SSD running in RAID0 than a noisy CD Drive considering the fact that I almost never used CDs after I install my applications because either they don't require a CD check or if they do, I use a No CD patch.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel View Post
You can always get a USB CD Drive when you need one. Honestly I would rather have a 2nd video card or even a 2nd SSD running in RAID0 than a noisy CD Drive considering the fact that I almost never used CDs after I install my applications because either they don't require a CD check or if they do, I use a No CD patch.
At least one of OC'ers supports my thought. Thank you.

For others, read! It says "NOTEbook" I am very aware of disgustingly weak netbooks.

As for game installation I never buy disks. For past years only way to get games/movies/programs for me was and remains the internet. Just because it's free and effortless. Sharing stuff is, as I said, via flash.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ultraportable Notebooks like the Lenovo U series which has notebook parts but no optical drive, 11.1" - 13.3" screens, HP miniNote-ish keyboard, Bluetooth, and on the higher-end models the option for a higher-cap battery allowing for around 6-8 hours of battery life.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts