Overclock.net banner

Nothing Compares... To You Megahalem...

1181 Views 12 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  GoHigh
SO... Cut the long story short, despite the overwhelming consensus by many members as to the recent MEGA vs. H50, I decided to test it for myself. At only $60 during BestBuy sale, I figured why not...

The old setup was Megahalem with Scythe Slipstream 110CFM x2 in Push/Pull...

Before you guys start bashing these fans, and start giving me links to all the tests showing weak static pressure and temp tests, let me save you guys some time by saying...

1. I have tried other fans... The latest fans being Scythe S-Flex G. The reason why I need to stick with 25mm fans (my main sig rig has the PANAFLOs, this is my 2nd rig), is the height of OCZ Reaper HS which doesn't clear the 38mm fans. The S-Flex Gs made a whine when used with my Mega, which I have narrowed it down to the way it reacts acoustically with the fins. It is currently being used with my TRUE without any weird noise what so ever...

2. They are actually pretty good... I have tested it myself personally, and FOR ME, there were no significant difference between any of the other high CFM fans I have tried before...

So, after modding the Corsair H50 for Push/Pull configuration with the same Slipstreams, there really wasn't any improvement there... In fact, on LOAD, it is approx. 1-2c hotter than the MEGA...

PERHAPS, I could have tried to use 38mm fans instead of my slipstreams, but that would mean that it would have unfair advantage over the MEGA. BUT, looking at the current test numbers, I would HIGHLY doubt that even with good 38mm fans, it wouldn't drop the temps by any significant amount.

SO... For future wonderers out there... HERE IS MY TAKE...

1. It DOES come close to the MEGAHALEM, but not quite there in terms of performance.

2. It DOES however give you more options, when you are working with clearance issues with RAM's HS.

3. It DOES look pretty nice once it is all installed. I like the way they sleeved the wires, actually pretty well.

4. You DO want to replace the stock fans with something better. It was more or less designed with acoustics in mind, and the fan blades seem a bit weak and smallish compared to others.

5. WARNING!!!! WARNING!!!

I might actually start a second thread regarding this, but there are 8 screws that are included with the kit, but only 4 nuts. SUPPOSEDLY, the first 4 screws are for AMD mounting, and the other 4 are for INTEL mounting. HOWEVER, this DOES not make any sense, since you share the same 4 retention nuts. The instructions are not existent here, and you could very well mix it up, like I did. The 4 screws for "AMD" mounts are bigger than the "INTEL" ones. If you accidentally use the AMD screw (IT'S REALLY HARD TO TELL WHICH ONES ARE WHICH... THE SMALLER THREAD PATTERN IS THE INTEL ONE), you will end up damaging the nut itself to but unusable.

What happened to me was the screw ended up splitting the nut, and subsequently damaging the motherboard beyond usable condition. CORSAIR sent me a replacement motherboard, after recognizing their problem.

Just PAY ATTENTION TO THE SCREWS...

Just thought I would share for y'all...
See less See more
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Yeah, thanks for the heads up about them screws. I've been thinking about switching to H50 myself. +rep.
I don't want a cooler that might explode and leak, seen a cool-it domino on another forum do that, they can also evaporate over time since you can't add. If the h50 had a removable rad, and a refillable reservoir, it would become way better.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1121 View Post
I don't want a cooler that might explode and leak, seen a cool-it domino on another forum do that, they can also evaporate over time since you can't add. If the h50 had a removable rad, and a refillable reservoir, it would become way better.
There are inherent risk with any sealed WC systems, but honestly, no one has experienced this yet. Plus, this H50 is not quite as complicated as the Cool-IT's approach of using TECs, which might help out in the reliability department.

YES, it was a bit PITA this whole ordeal with the messed up screws, but Corsair's customer service people were top notch. I would imagine that if there was ever another problem with the H50, they would take care of it no problem.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1121
View Post

I had the same concerns, I know that Corsair learned the CoolitDomino's short comings, and problems that plagued it in making a quality and reliable product. I still remember reading about how users just opened the CoolitDomino out of the box and saw the leaks, and poor quality parts.

-------
Op, you could use a 38mm fan on the H50 as long as you have used it on the Megahalems as well which would make things "fair".

I have dealt with Corsair customer service too @ the HQ like 6 yrs ago and the experience was positive. Its good knowing that Corsair is still maintaining and improving their custom service.

Good Info 0p.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiden911
View Post

I had the same concerns, I know that Corsair learned the CoolitDomino's short comings, and problems that plagued it in making a quality and reliable product. I still remember reading about how users just opened the CoolitDomino out of the box and saw the leaks, and poor quality parts.

-------
Op, you could use a 38mm fan on the H50 as long as you have used it on the Megahalems as well which would make things "fair".

I have dealt with Corsair customer service too @ the HQ like 6 yrs ago and the experience was positive. Its good knowing that Corsair is still maintaining and improving their custom service.

Good Info 0p.

The problem with using a 38mm fan on the H50 would be not being able to use the provided mounting screws that came with the kit. I am sure that finding a longer screw would not be a problem, BUT, I don't think airflow is a problem here... However, you are right... I should experiment with some 38mm fans to see if there would be an increase in performance... But then again, where does it stop? Then, I could try a shroud to see if that will maximize the performance... Then the lapping of the base... I think given the fact that this unit performs almost even par with Megahalem, minus the headache of mounting 2x 38mm fans, RAM clearance issues, and dealing with sheer bulk of the Mega, it is a fair trade.

I am sure that with bit of modding and tweaking, it could surpass the Mega by 1c or so, but that seems hardly worth the effort that would be involved...

One positive side affect of all this, is that I am not realizing that OFF-THE-SHELF cooling solution seems to have hit a performance limit... Which means that I am willing to entertain ideas of full blown out WC in all it's glory... Dunno how much I am willing to push, but with the i9 release eminent, I might be willing to take more risk...
See less See more
It probably depends on the Case OP. Some members of this forum have actually got better temps with the h50. Anywho, Thanks for sharing your results.
See less See more
The fact that such a small unit gets even close is intriguing. Normally entry level water kits with "bigger" parts are not able to match a decent air cooler yet we have this tiny thing getting close to the 2nd best air cooler....maybe I should have tried this....
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylit View Post
It probably depends on the Case OP. Some members of this forum have actually got better temps with the h50. Anywho, Thanks for sharing your results.

Not only the case but also the ambient temp. That there is the big factor.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylit
View Post

Yes... I agree. However, I am using Antec 1200 with 3x Yate Loon Mediums in the front, 1x Yate Loon Medium in the Side, with 1x Yate Loon High Speed Exhaust Fan, along with 2x Scythe Slipstream 110CFMs for the H50... I don't think Airflow is really an issue with my setup...

HOWEVER... I am starting to understand that my case is optimized for maximum aircooling results... For someone who might be using a case with less airflow, I can see how H50 would provide slightly favorable results...
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by drBlahMan
View Post

Not only the case but also the ambient temp. That there is the big factor.

You are right as well... However, my office remains same ambient temps year around, since I use a window AC unit to regulate temps. I have blocked off all the AC vents in the room, to keep the heat during winter from seeping in to the room. I also use a digital thermometer to check ambient temps (66F to 68F) year around...
See less See more
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.