Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My System's spec:
i7-2600 non-K CPU
Asus P8P67 Deluxe MB
x4 4GB G.Skill 2133MHz Ram
x2 EVGA GTX 970 4GB SC in SLI mode
Corsair HX850W Pro PSU

Quick back story on my setup. I put this together (without the current 970 GPUs) in June 2011. I choose the 2600 non-K because at the time I had no plans to ever OC it. And until a few weeks ago I thought both the 2600 and 2600K could be overclocked and that the K version could just simply be overclocked higher.

Over the past few weeks I have done a lot of research on overclocking i7 cores and I of course learned that that the multiplier is locked on the non-K versions and you can really only overclock them by adjusting the bus speed. I also learned that you really don't want to do that because it can affect everything on your board, including your PCI lanes, Memory and other stuff.

A few days ago I went into my BIOS to check something unrelated and I noticed that my OC profile was set to manual and that my Bus Speed was at 103. And I'm 100% sure that I have NEVER made any sort of adjustments to that, I got the MB new and I'm the only one who has ever used this PC, I did upgrade the BIOS a few weeks ago to the latest version available, but I'm sure that couldn't have changed my OC profile.

After I noticed this, I ran Prime95 for four hours with this Bus Speed and there were no issues. I have a Hydro 75 cooler and my CPU temp never exceeded 60.

Seeing the 103 bus speed got me thinking and I starting looking at my numbers using GPUz and Open Hardware Monitor and there are a few things that confuse me.

According to EVGA, my specific cards have a base clock of 1140MHz and boost clock of 1279. But when I run FurMark or play any games, The GPU Cores run at 1380MHz, the Memory at 3506MHz and the Shaders at 2759MHz. And that is without any manual overclocking on those cards.

Thinking my 103 Bus Speed was responsible for the increased GPU clocks, I changed my Bus Speed to 100MHz today. My CPU Turbo speed went from 4018MHz to 3913MHz, my memory speed (according to my BIOS) went from 1922MHz to 1866MHz, but my GPU clocks all remained the same.

I left my Bus Speed set to 100MHz and my system seems stable with Prime95, but my benchmarks have dropped by just a bit.

I guess my question is, is there any risk of running my system with the Bus Speed set to 103, or higher for that matter? It doesn't seem to change the clock speeds of my GPUs, only my CPU and Memory.

Images of my BIOS setup:

This is what what my Turbo Speed and Ram Speeds looked like after setting my OC profile to Auto, or just manually changing the Bus Speed to 100:

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
I would not run my BCLK higher than 100 unless it was like 100.1 or something to level out a OC. Typically BCLK is used for benching and obtaining max overclocks, but not 24/7 OC's. This is because unlike in past generations where BCLK was only really linked to RAM and CPU, it is now linked to CPU, RAM, PCI-E, USB, SATA, and whatever else I can't remember.

Running higher than 100 may end up being perfectly fine, but it also runs the risk of data corruption. The performance gains are so low on a locked CPU it's not really worth the risk IMO. You should be able to raise the multiplier up to 42 though, which should be good enough for whatever you need. The reason you get max of 42 is because you get to raise locked CPU's up to max turbo boost + 4 so long as it is on a P/Z series chipset.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

I would not run my BCLK higher than 100 unless it was like 100.1 or something to level out a OC. Typically BCLK is used for benching and obtaining max overclocks, but not 24/7 OC's. This is because unlike in past generations where BCLK was only really linked to RAM and CPU, it is now linked to CPU, RAM, PCI-E, USB, SATA, and whatever else I can't remember.

Running higher than 100 may end up being perfectly fine, but it also runs the risk of data corruption. The performance gains are so low on a locked CPU it's not really worth the risk IMO. You should be able to raise the multiplier up to 42 though, which should be good enough for whatever you need. The reason you get max of 42 is because you get to raise locked CPU's up to max turbo boost + 4 so long as it is on a P/Z series chipset.
The multiplier is set to 42 and it won't let me change it, I tried entering something else, but it just reverts back to 42.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian8077 View Post

The multiplier is set to 42 and it won't let me change it, I tried entering something else, but it just reverts back to 42.
That's weird. You can try updating your bios if it isn't up to date already or resetting CMOS.. Not sure why it would automatically put it all the way up to 42? If anything it should say 34 lol.

EDIT: Actually looked through your screenshots and it says CPU Ratio: Auto.

Perhaps that's why.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

That's weird. You can try updating your bios if it isn't up to date already or resetting CMOS.. Not sure why it would automatically put it all the way up to 42? If anything it should say 34 lol.

EDIT: Actually looked through your screenshots and it says CPU Ratio: Auto.

Perhaps that's why.
I'll try turning it off tomorrow and see if it let's me adjust the multiplier. If it does, you're saying I should be able to go +4 above it? That will only affect my turbo speed?

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
I think it will make your normal speed 3800MHz and then turbo boost like this..

4 cores: 3.9GHz
3 cores: 4.0GHz
2 cores: 4.1GHz
1 core: 4.2GHz

Or maybe it will just make them all 4.2GHz if you disable turbo boost. I honestly don't 100% remember. Maybe someone else can confirm for you or you can test and see yourself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNick View Post

I would try to re flash the BIOS first.
smile.gif
Ugh, I really don't want to do that. It is up-to-date and when I flashed it a few weeks back, everything was successful at first, but then after a few reboots I got a grub error and ultimately had to reinstall my OS.

So I'm going to keep that as a last resort.
smile.gif

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

I think it will make your normal speed 3800MHz and then turbo boost like this..

4 cores: 3.9GHz
3 cores: 4.0GHz
2 cores: 4.1GHz
1 core: 4.2GHz

Or maybe it will just make them all 4.2GHz if you disable turbo boost. I honestly don't 100% remember. Maybe someone else can confirm for you or you can test and see yourself.
I played around with the CPU Ratio, I was able to manually set to 42 at the highest and with a BCLK of 100, my CPU's Turbo Speed stayed at a locked 3900MHz. But if I set it to Auto with a BCLK of 100, my Turbo Speed goes to 3913MHz (yay! 13MHz OC!)

I went into my brother's bios on his Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 board and his OC profile was also set to manual with a BCLK of 103. Of course, his multiplier was unlocked as he has the i7-2600K.

So the question is, does Asus set their BCLK to 103 by default?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts