Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been keeping an eye on this website and the product interests me. I was actually thinking of getting one should it:

A) Actually be released
B) Prove to be any good.

Whilst reading through the blog this morning I noticed, not for the first time, that they are already refereing to ADAM 2.

Now I know and appricate tech moves quickly and most companies are already working on the second iteration around the release of the first, but COME ON the first one isnt even at market yet and your already talking about what improvements your going to me. Seriously, I think this has put me off getting one.

I know this should really be in the rants and raves section....

Anyone else find that annoying though?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iscariot View Post
Whilst reading through the blog this morning I noticed, not for the first time, that they are already refereing to ADAM 2.

Now I know and appricate tech moves quickly and most companies are already working on the second iteration around the release of the first, but COME ON the first one isnt even at market yet and your already talking about what improvements your going to me. Seriously, I think this has put me off getting one.
Why does it put you off? The first one is basically done. It had better be if they want to submit for FCC by the first week of November, which is the last timeline I saw. If all these ideas that they had for the second were to be looked at for the first, we'd never see the actual tablet.

Quote:
Anyone else find that annoying though?
No, I'm glad they are taking notes on what they would like to change when they have the chance. They do not have the chance with the first one. More ways they can think of improving the next model, the better. Of course, we'd all love the first to be perfect, but the more they work on it, the farther the timeline gets pushed back. I don't want the Adam Ink to be worked to perfection, only to have them have a release date Q1 2012, and run out of investors and interest in Q3 2011. That would be no good to anyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iscariot View Post
The frustrating point was the references in the blog about improvements that they are already working on for round 2.
See above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,053 Posts
Not sure what Adam Ink is, but announcing improvements to version 2 when version 1 isn't even out yet is definitely a marketing no-no. People will decide not to get version 1 and just wait. And if people don't buy version 1, they may not have the money to finish version 2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by E_man View Post
Why does it put you off?
Makes me want to wait for V2. Which isnt a bad thing I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by E_man View Post
No, I'm glad they are taking notes on what they would like to change when they have the chance. They do not have the chance with the first one. More ways they can think of improving the next model, the better. Of course, we'd all love the first to be perfect, but the more they work on it, the farther the timeline gets pushed back. I don't want the Adam Ink to be worked to perfection, only to have them have a release date Q1 2012, and run out of investors and interest in Q3 2011. That would be no good to anyone.

See above.
Good point.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mott555 View Post
Not sure what Adam Ink is, but announcing improvements to version 2 when version 1 isn't even out yet is definitely a marketing no-no. People will decide not to get version 1 and just wait. And if people don't buy version 1, they may not have the money to finish version 2.
The thing is, this company and their product are still widely believed to be vaporware. The more open they are, the better. At least, that seems to be the strategy they are taking.

I think I agree. The more they keep this thing in the minds of potential consumers, the better. News about Adam 1 is going to be pretty sparse. It's basically having the unexciting finishing touches put on it, so they need news.

Besides, info about adam 2 shows that they are committed to a long term plan. Hopefully, it's the right plan
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,637 Posts
I'm definitely getting one if and when they release it xD

3G + Dual Mode Screen + Rotating camera + Android/Ubuntu/ChromeOS for under $500 (even less with educational discount) = YES PLEASE.

Apple take note please! Make iPad 2 with similar specs and I'll reconsider
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,403 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by r34p3rex
View Post

I'm definitely getting one if and when they release it xD

3G + Dual Mode Screen + Rotating camera + Android/Ubuntu/ChromeOS for under $500 (even less with educational discount) = YES PLEASE.

Apple take note please! Make iPad 2 with similar specs and I'll reconsider


Spoken like a MAN! Agreed 100%....you know most people wouldn't recognize the rotating camera as a great feature and I will honestly have to say...how stupid is it for them to put both a front and back camera on a lot of these devices nowadays? When I was in Japan in 2001-2002 they had cell phones with rotating cameras almost exactly like the Adams....obvious win feature is win in my opinion.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,637 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Shadowclock
View Post

Spoken like a MAN! Agreed 100%....you know most people wouldn't recognize the rotating camera as a great feature and I will honestly have to say...how stupid is it for them to put both a front and back camera on a lot of these devices nowadays? When I was in Japan in 2001-2002 they had cell phones with rotating cameras almost exactly like the Adams....obvious win feature is win in my opinion.

Yea, the only advantage of having two cameras is that you have one less part that can break from wear/tear (the rotating hinge). This will definitely be useful for school though.. record all your lectures, audio AND video!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,204 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by r34p3rex
View Post

I'm definitely getting one if and when they release it xD

3G + Dual Mode Screen + Rotating camera + Android/Ubuntu/ChromeOS for under $500 (even less with educational discount) = YES PLEASE.

Apple take note please! Make iPad 2 with similar specs and I'll reconsider


That's my thoughts. The only thing I'm worried about is software. It looks like it will be the heaviest android skin yet. That means it better be good. That, and who knows how they handle OS upgrades, hacker community, etc.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top