Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently started looking into overclocking my year old cpu... It doesnt run bad I just want it to run better. I have a
Intel P4 3.2ghz w/hyperthreading (looks like an overclocked version of the 3.0ghz)
Motherboard 925X Intel BIOS update 2/10/2006
Dual Channel 533mhz 2gigs (4x512mb)

Ive been playing around with the bios and I gave up... The closest I could find to overclocking was Burn-In which lets me set it by +X.X% Its defualt is 2% to get to 3.2ghz. I got it up to 4% before it started craping out on me. I thought it was the memory speed got to high so I tried lowering it, but my bios wont let me kept giving me an error even at 400mhz. Ive read alot into this and I heard i could get it up to 3.8ghz with the right settings but since im such a novice im looking for 3.4ghz at the highest. Any help for getting my bios to lower my memory speed would be appreciated. Or if thats not whats wrong with it if you could give me some info.

-Thanks
Swiftstrike

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

To help us better help you, please fill in your complete system specs by going to the User CP and selecting the Edit System Specs option.

If your motherboard is Intel branded, you're not going to have much luck overclocking it through the BIOS as you've discovered. Their boards have a great reputation for being rock solid stable at stock speeds, but they don't appeal much to the enthusiast crowd. Your best bet would be to try a program such as Clockgen that could control several of the key settings through Windows. While that's not nearly as good as overclocking in the BIOS, it is probably about the best you can do.

It's not uncommon for 3.2s to overclock to the 4.0 GHz range in the right setup. Although no two CPUs or setups are identical, I would be shocked if you couldn't get it to at least 3.6 GHz on a moderate OCing motherboard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where can I find the clock generator for my CPU? (For PLL setup)
Eh nevermind... Ive tried all of em and the closest I got it wouldnt let me overclock at all before it screwed up.
Although my system registers 2 processors for some reason... I only have a single core.

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
The second processor is most likely as a result of the logical processor through HyperThreading. It "splits" the one CPU into a physical processor and a logical processor, which is a fancy way of saying it helps to make multitasking more efficient.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts