Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've waited for ivy bridge to build a new rig but after looking at the reviews and benches i decided to avoid it and look for something else. I want to overclock but i am not planning to spend a lot of money, just something that will get the job done for the next 4 years. I was thinking about FX 8120 since it's cheaper and performs as good as the 2500k, what do you guys think, i want something that will goes well with the latest graphic cards ?

·
a turkey is a bad man
6,432 Posts
How did Ivy fail? Yes it's hot, but it's a extremely fast chip. If you really don't want it, I would suggest the 2500K. It doesn't draw as much power as the FX and has a much, much faster core for core speed then the FX. Will suit a single gpu for gaming perfectly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick replies but i am not convinced idk i do heavy tasking so i want to know whether or not an fx would be a better choice over 2500k. i am planning to oc'ing and unfortunately ivy has heating problems when oc'ing. I want to know if the extra money would make a noticeable difference in performance if i pick the 2500k over the 8120

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
2500K is indeed better for straight gaming, but for heavy threaded apps the 8120 might be the way to go.
Neither is really going to bottleneck you on a single GPU setup.

·
Banned
3,190 Posts
it is a futur proof choice quad channel ,ramdisked,8slot ram,pcie3 cant go wrong .i wish i had build that.one question does it suport opencl cause opencl is the futur .if it doesnt then there is your reason to go ib .if i recall ib support opencl.(computing via gpu instead cpu .if i oversimplify)
imagine a 690 vs a 3770 ya i bet intel isnt even there.not sure if cpu need to support it tho maybe only gpu neeed to support it .i would go your choice .why always buy the extreme tok edition .the one you mention is the extrem tok edition

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonmau5 View Post

Thanks for the quick replies but i am not convinced idk i do heavy tasking so i want to know whether or not an fx would be a better choice over 2500k. i am planning to oc'ing and unfortunately ivy has heating problems when oc'ing. I want to know if the extra money would make a noticeable difference in performance if i pick the 2500k over the 8120
If you do heavy taking the 2011 is best fore you as I said before.
Ivy bridge was never meant to be a ocer.
It is on a 22nm and on top of that it is using trigate on the cpu vs dual gate. Using the trigate made the cpu run hotter also you have less surface area to dissapate the heat as well on the 22nm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo23451 View Post

It is on a 22nm and on top of that it is using trigate on the cpu vs dual gate. Using the trigate made the cpu run hotter also you have less surface area to dissapate the heat as well on the 22nm
2011 socket is expensive brah, i had rather spend the money on an ssd. I do play games but i want a cpu that does all for a reasonable price. 22nm should be cooler than 32nm anyway intel just screwed that up.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo23451 View Post

Thanks for the information. I was thinking about selling my 2600k that I just bought for and Ivy setup.

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Quote:

2011 socket is expensive brah, i had rather spend the money on an ssd. I do play games but i want a cpu that does all for a reasonable price. 22nm should be cooler than 32nm anyway intel just screwed that up.
How did intel mess up. Did you start believing into the hype about the 22nm processor when it comes to OCING. I didnt. It is not fail considering the technology that is in it. The processor using using trigate tech not DUAL GATE tech use on their other processors.

You cant say it is a fail unless you know the facts like how the processor works what tech is envolved and etc.

You can get an SSD for like 100bucks now.

·
You broke it!
14,286 Posts
I would be curious as to how it failed, considering it did everything Intel said it was going to and nothing more. I suggest reading up on Intels Tick-Tock cycle and how it pertains to Ivy Bridge, as Ivy was never meant to be a performance increase, but a manufacturing technology change. Haswell is the next performance increase we can expect to see in the 1150 socket.

EDIT: Corrected my socket number at the end, god only knows where the heck I got 1556......

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

I would be curious as to how it failed, considering it did everything Intel said it was going to and nothing more. I suggest reading up on Intels Tick-Tock cycle and how it pertains to Ivy Bridge, as Ivy was never meant to be a performance increase, but a manufacturing technology change. Haswell is the next performance increase we can expect to see in the 1556 socket.
this^^ IB is a die-shrink then haswell will be the new micro architecture (and doesnt mean its a failure one bit)... haswell will be in the new yet to be released LGA-1150 socket
wink.gif

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Quote:

I've waited for ivy bridge to build a new rig but after looking at the reviews and benches i decided to avoid it and look for something else. I want to overclock but i am not planning to spend a lot of money, just something that will get the job done for the next 4 years. I was thinking about FX 8120 since it's cheaper and performs as good as the 2500k, what do you guys think, i want something that will goes well with the latest graphic cards ?
i tried to make a sandwich the day ivy bridge failed and for some reason i failed at making one

i then went to mcdonalds but the order i made failed to come out right

i went inside and the employees failed to get me my order before breakfast meals ended and i was forced to get lunch

then my girlfriend called me and was like "this relationship failed"

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Unless you work with deeply multithreaded workloads most of the time, a 2500K is going to out-perform an 8120 or 8150 nearly every time. And this is coming from an AMD user.

Ivy Bridge is more of a competitive response to AMD's line of APU's than it is intended to be a major improvement to Sandy Bridge. Most of the work they did seems to be in beefing up the graphics core on the chips. Since those aren't targeted at enthusiasts, it doesn't really matter than they run hotter than Sandy. Intel could put out a product like that and not really improve gaming or overclocking performance because AMD isn't competitive in those areas right now.

If you want Intel and want to overclock, I still recommend Sandy Bridge over Ivy because of the heat issue. You'll get a better overclock on Sandy, and that will make up for the slight disadvantage in ICP. But either one is going to out-perform Bulldozer except in a small number of instances. If you want a better AMD offering, you're going to have to wait until the fall.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts