Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Quote:

A federal judge says sugar beet farmers can't plant genetically engineered varieties next year, and those farmers, who produce half of America's sugar, now are in a bind. Many of them say they cannot go back to the way they used to work because they don't own those tools anymore and there aren't enough conventional seeds to go around.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=129891767

I had no idea this was even an issue, but you know what, the general public will see it's forbidden and want it even more.
If you don't allow people to have their genetic engineered sugar beets, they WILL find a way.

Oye.....

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
interesting, imo though, if you chose to go the organic route for the sake of a business model, thats up to you to keep that way.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Quote:

Kimbrell doesn't have much sympathy for the farmers.

"They've been on notice since we filed our complaint that this was a likely result of the case - so for over two years now," he says. "So any crying wolf now is not in good faith."

Yeah, because they're going to buy new equipment just in case. The judge who struck down the approval should have been able to hold the government liable for the economic losses; if the regulators aren't going to do the damn groundwork, they should have to pay for their mistakes.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
e-e What a pain in the ass. This bastard needs to go to hell. My uncle is a farmer so I know how hard it is to grow crops, especially when you have a weed problem. A couple of years ago, for some reason chick weed was growing everwhere and was smoothering his soy beans... took him all summer to get it all under control but it cost him...

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
so what purpose does banning GE sugar beets serve, aside from making farmers' lives harder?

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbulb View Post
so what purpose does banning GE sugar beets serve, aside from making farmers' lives harder?
It lets the environmentalists who think GE stuff is bad without good reason (Just like nuclear, etc) sleep easier.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Its a fact that we have been engineering plants / animals around us for years. Whether it be a tomato for how big it is or how resilient it is against disease. However humans have done this over generations of plants choosing what properties they require.

This has also been done in the meat industry, cows have been chosen for their milk or the shear amount of meat they can produce.

The problem with this is it takes generations of the "product" to create what we want.

However we can speed up this process from generations of the product to say a few years. Speeding up the process to get the product to what we want it to be.

Yes I know people may be adding genes from other things but I honestly don't see this as a massive problem. If a company could create a gene that would prevent cancer in humans I guarantee 99% of GM activists would not oppose it if subject to cancer in their friends and family.

I know this is a massive rant but there is so much that can be said in opinions either way. In my eyes we are just at the next stage of cultivating crops / livestock.

·
I heard you were dead...
8,475 Posts
Cane sugar tastes better than beet sugar and HFCS anyway.

I am not against the use of HFCS since it's just a different kind of sugar and is nutritionally/medically identical, but cane sugar definitely tastes better and that's why I prefer it.

It sucks to be those farmers though. It doesn't make any sense that banning something protects the farmers' right to "choose" an inferior strain of beets...

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sweffymo View Post
Cane sugar tastes better than beet sugar and HFCS anyway.

I am not against the use of HFCS since it's just a different kind of sugar and is nutritionally/medically identical, but cane sugar definitely tastes better and that's why I prefer it.

It sucks to be those farmers though. It doesn't make any sense that banning something protects the farmers' right to "choose" an inferior strain of beets...
You can observe this by tasting the Coca Cola in Mexico and comparing it to it's US counterpart.

The Mexican one uses real cane sugar, and it tastes terrific.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Cutting your yields because of harmless chemicals is no way to go through life, son.

·
I heard you were dead...
8,475 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frickfrock99 View Post
You can observe this by tasting the Coca Cola in Mexico and comparing it to it's US counterpart.

The Mexican one uses real cane sugar, and it tastes terrific.
Or getting the "Heritage" Dr Pepper (Dr Pepper's trademark doesn't have a period after "Dr" by the way) or "Throwback" Pepsi products. (I don't like Pepsi at all though and I refuse to drink it. I like Mountain Dew however.)

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbulb View Post
The purpose this serves is that a bunch of organic plant growing hippies don't have to worry about cross pollination modifying their crops. That is it. The organic farmers complain they could lose their "ability to chose what crop they grow" with cross pollination from the GE plants. On the other hand the GE growers literally lose ANY ability to chose what crop they grow on this same ruling. This judge should lose his job.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts