Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mg21128205.200-1_300.jpg

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21128205.200-dvd-alloys-help-make-computers-that-think-like-us.html
Quote:
The material that lets us record on DVDs has a far more tantalising property: it can mimic the nerve cells of the brain and the junctions between them. The discovery could lead to the development of brain-like computers that, crucially, operate at ultra-low power levels.

A brain-like computer is one that can learn and adapt without external programming. Such an ability would allow machines to become far better at tasks like face and speech recognition. They could also process and store data in the same location - just as nerve cells do. Conventional computing loses efficiency by keeping these functions separate.

Now two research groups have built artificial nerve cells, or neurons, and synapses - the junctions between them - using an alloy known as GST, an acronym of the symbols for its components: germanium, antimony and tellurium.
Some of the things GST can do is terrifying.
Just goes to show the power of phase change I reckon.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:
using an alloy known as GST, an acronym of the symbols for its components: germanium, antimony and tellurium.
Um, how do you base an acronym on the components when none of the three components have a single 'S' in their name?

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Germanium - Ge, Antimony - Sb, Tellurium - Te

GST

Go use the periodic table before posting something really really....

• Rep+
Reactions: Broin

·
Registered
715 Posts
LOL, gen chem fail...

Interesting article. I saw on the science channel the other night where researchers at GA Tech have successfully integrated living brain tissue onto a circuit board…

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomboy;14202197
Germanium - Ge, Antimony - Se, Tellurium - Te

GST

Go use the periodic table before posting something really really....
Well since you posted that last sentence Anitmony is actually Sb. Selenium is Se.
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirmie;14204824
Well since you posted that last sentence Anitmony is actually Sb. Selenium is Se.
tongue.gif
lol Yeah, I just quick glanced haha I was too lazy to make sure. Now I'm even too lazy to look, job searching sux w/o a car.

·
AMD Acolyte
1,711 Posts
Sounds interesting, reminds me of something i read about thinking robots made with rodent nerve cells...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.