Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Quote:

With age, the lenses in our eyes often lose the ability to change shape enough to focus light from near objects onto the retina - a condition called presbyopia. This leaves people who were already short-sighted unable to focus on either near or distant objects. Bifocals offer a solution by having two lenses in the same frame, but users must get used to tilting their head up or down to switch focus.

Zeev Zalevsky at Bar-Ilan University in Ramat Gan, Israel, has developed a technique to turn a standard lens into one that perfectly focuses light from anything between 33 centimetres away and the horizon.

It involves engraving the surface of a standard lens with a grid of 25 near-circular structures each 2 millimetres across and containing two concentric rings. The engraved rings are just a few hundred micrometres wide and a micrometre deep. "The exact number and size of the sets will change from one lens to another," depending on its size and shape, says Zalevsky

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-eyesight.html

The genius is in the simplicity of it, it's a terrific idea.
I'm crazy abusive with my glasses anyhow

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
I would try it but my Armani's cost alsmot $700 CAD.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DorkSterr
View Post

Only $700? I wouldn't even give something so cheap the time of day.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DorkSterr
View Post

My Armani's cost $30.

My uncle's an ophthalmologist/surgeon, and in Beirut, where everything's cheap anyway. Cheap glasses + doctor's discount = win.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
This is awesome. However, that being said, corrective eye surgery was the best money I ever spent.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
This is awesome. However, that being said, corrective eye surgery was the best money I ever spent.
how much did you spend? and wat was the improvement?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts