Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching video cards with the idea of upgrading mine in the near future but man alive, Nvidia rating and naming schemes are incredibly confusing. The various online vendors don't help you out much, not to mention the various manufacturers of cards that use Nvidia chips who hide their short cuts behind Nvidia's nomenclature. How many versions of the FX5600 are there, for instance? Can somebody suggest a good web site that will help me sort out the tangle?

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
the gpu goes in increasing numerical order by performance: 5900 is better than 5500, 6800 is better than 5900. then theres the plain/gt/ultra editions.
ultras are the best verson of the core but i think its only on 6800s. gt edition is better than plain, much like a gt car is better than a regular car.
nvidia has other companies make the video cards for them. theres usaly only a 5 or so fps diffrence between the cards but some of the better ones are xfx, evga, bfg, asus.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bartender Paradox

the gpu goes in increasing numerical order by performance: 5900 is better than 5500, 6800 is better than 5900. then theres the plain/gt/ultra editions.
ultras are the best verson of the core but i think its only on 6800s. gt edition is better than plain, much like a gt car is better than a regular car.
nvidia has other companies make the video cards for them. theres usaly only a 5 or so fps diffrence between the cards but some of the better ones are xfx, evga, bfg, asus.

Yea, I realize that but the hard part is different vendors will offer say, an FX5600 and one will ad "XT" but it is the same card or one will sell it for $20 cheaper than someone else and not mention that it has the same processor but slower memory. Its all the hidden variables that make it confusing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts