Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have that card, and im just wondering what my avg fps should be in counter strike source,
im avging around ten fps and its very frustrating, i just wanna make sure thats correct.
thanks

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im sure i do, i went to nvidia website and did that scan your computer option and gave me the download link for the drivers,
i know this is gonna be a stupid question, but i had my computer at my friends house, for a while, and i came back to find ati ccc on it, and i cannot take it off, i tried uninstalling, and everything, but its still there. >.>
but with that res and settings what should i expect?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
idk about the CCC problem, have you restarted your computer after uninstalling it?
I think you could at least play all low with a large resolution with decent frames.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have restarted it after uninstalling,
i havent oc'd or anything
i was just expecint to get decent fps for it but was let down at 10 fps
i would use my ati 9800 pro, but i cannot get drivers or anything to work for it. and same thing happening with this puder.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Yeah, P4 should have no problem playing that game.

When you planing on building your sig rig? That would rape CS, lol.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha i know it would,
it should be next month or so,
im 17 without a job, not to easy to get money. XD
but your saying with the res and the settings i should do just fine?

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
i had a friend's 8400GS OEM thing and it played CoD 4 on lowest atleast at 30FPS. it was pretty bearable.

that card should be ripping through CS:S, as my old 7900GS can play it at max settings 1280x1024 all day.

you might want to check that windows is using the nvidia driver. it could still be using the generic one.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how can i check that and change it?
cause when i run dxdiag and i go to display it doesnt show any drivers for it, and ive installed and everything.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Uninstall all the gpu drivers and go into safe mode and use driver sweeper to clean it out and then reinstall using the latest drivers. You should be able to play cs:s i played it on my p4 2.4 with a x1650 pro long time ago

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright,
so i just start in safe mode run driver sweeper and click on clean drivers or wutever it is?

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
Yep, use driversweeper.

The 8400gs has two variants:

low clocked 16SP 80nm G86
high clocked 8SP 65nm G98 <--slower than G86, though

are you playing custom maps? Because those can even give a GTX285 some punishing work (especially water effects
).

The P4 *should* be enough to drive the setup.... but the source engine is rather CPU dependant, too.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, as you can see, i cannot play with 10 fps, and i wanted to know if i should be getting that with my card.

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryansmile View Post
yeah, as you can see, i cannot play with 10 fps, and i wanted to know if i should be getting that with my card.
you shouldn't.

I raked in 15-20fps on an Intel GMA950 @ 1280x800 (Core 2 T5600, though...). Stock maps (the most optimized, imo).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts