Overclock.net banner

41 - 60 of 3194 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,705 Posts
Just installed the EVGA 750Ti SC and man, this thing is tiny!
biggrin.gif
I didn't tear the card apart but there's an iron choke located somewhat in the same area as in the reference model, so I guess it might be possible that this card's based on the reference design?
Sooo... How's the 750Ti performance-wise? I had quite hard time really "feeling" the difference to my ex-GTX660 in so I'd say pretty darn good. There's no micro stuttering or anything, and everything feels very smooth and consistent, maybe a bit "smoother" than before.
Power consumption? Max. 129 watts during Dayz and 3Dmark 11, which is tens of watts less than before. Nice! Haven't had time to test other titles, though, since I installed a fresh 8.1 yesterday.
Then the cons... Minimum fan speed is locked to 40%. EVGA, why? It's currently running THREE DEGREES CELSIUS above ambient and the fan is clearly audible. And coil whine...
headscratch.gif
mad.gif
I mean, the card is great but I feel like EVGA's letting me down here. I'm seriously considering moving to Zotac.
 

·
⤷ αC
Joined
·
11,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanci View Post

Just installed the EVGA 750Ti SC and man, this thing is tiny!
biggrin.gif
I didn't tear the card apart but there's an iron choke located somewhat in the same area as in the reference model, so I guess it might be possible that this card's based on the reference design?
Sooo... How's the 750Ti performance-wise? I had quite hard time really "feeling" the difference to my ex-GTX660 in so I'd say pretty darn good. There's no micro stuttering or anything, and everything feels very smooth and consistent, maybe a bit "smoother" than before.
Power consumption? Max. 129 watts during Dayz and 3Dmark 11, which is tens of watts less than before. Nice! Haven't had time to test other titles, though, since I installed a fresh 8.1 yesterday.
Then the cons... Minimum fan speed is locked to 40%. EVGA, why? It's currently running THREE DEGREES CELSIUS above ambient and the fan is clearly audible. And coil whine...
headscratch.gif
mad.gif
I mean, the card is great but I feel like EVGA's letting me down here. I'm seriously considering moving to Zotac.
It's an iron choke, coil whine is no surprise.

Try using Kepler BIOS Tweaker to edit the BIOS to slow down minimum fan speeds

further reading:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=574634
http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2014160

2nd source for iron chokes sighting http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.php/fotostrecken/artikel-galerien/drei-modelle-der-geforce-gtx-750-ti-im-test/geforce-gtx750-roundup-11402512a.html

Anyhow as far as memory for GTX 750 Ti:
(Reference = Hynix H5GC4H24MFR-T2C rated for 5GHz)
ASUS Dual fan (3+1 , 6 pin) ... Samsung K4G41325FC-HC03 rated for 6Ghz
Galaxy GC (3+1 , 6 pin) ... unsure how high the Hynix H5GC2H24BFR-T2C will clock on memory though it's rated for 6GHz
Gigabyte Dual fan (2+1 , 6 pin) ... Samsung K4G41325FC-HC03 rated for 6Ghz
ZOTAC dual fan (2+1, 6 pin) ... Hynix H5GC4H24MFR-T2C ... 5Ghz , same as reference memory
EVGA FTW (2+1 , 6 pin)... Samsung K4G41325FC-HC03 rated for 6Ghz , noting that the memory phase is d-pak +iron choke

6-pin-less
MSI GTX 750 Ti Gaming Twin Frozr IV (4+1) ...Samsung K4G41325FC-HC03
MSI GTX 750 TI Classic (2+1)... looks like Samsung
Palit Storm X Dual (2+1) Samsung K4G41325FC-HC03
Gainward GS (2+1) Samsung K4G41325FC-HC03
PNY?
ASUS GTX 750 Ti with GTX 750 cooler (2+1) Hynix H5GC4H24MFR-T2C rated for 5GHz if it is like the GTX 750 version
EVGA SC (2+1 reference?)

----
Quote:
Originally Posted by steezebe View Post

I'm amazed at this card. It's just what I wanted; low power, could fit in my case, and can crank out my games and CATIA work without crying.
steezebe please run specviewperf 12 CATIA Benchmark. If it gets 20+ score (Quadro K2000 score) I'd be surprised
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

It's an iron choke, coil whine is no surprise.
Try using Kepler BIOS Tweaker to edit the BIOS to slow down minimum fan speeds
frown.gif
This is the last time I'm buying a card blindfolded... I heard EVGA released an official bios update for their ACX series to reduce fan noise, so I guess I'll wait a some time to see if they come up with an update for the SC model. If not, I'm going for Zotac.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
I have 68xx and 7xxx cards all with chokes like that and they still go today some had up to 1.7v in them so i dont think just becuase the parts are not the best does not mean they cant overclock nicely without issue.

no whine at all from my ftw card
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,705 Posts
Agreed, and my card boosts very nicely indeed, but there's no way around that the fan profile is ridiculous and it wouldn't cost a fortune to replace that one choke with a little better one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
Just unplug the fan see how it reacts temp wise i mean if it bothers you that much ??? bet its still halfway decent on temps
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowie View Post

Just unplug the fan see how it reacts temp wise i mean if it bothers you that much ??? bet its still halfway decent on temps
smile.gif
Might just do that and place a Scythe GT below the heatsink, but then again, it'd still sound like I had a small grasshopper trapped in there somewhere lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
Well, I got my Zotac 750Ti reference a few days ago and finally sat down to toy around with it today. I'm new to this whole GPU OC thing, and still figuring out how far it'll go but so far it seems to be stable at these settings

e6z.png


however when I check my monitoring software it only shows max. core clock of 1311Mhz. Any thoughts why that would be happening? I don't think it's hitting a temperature target, because the card topped out at 50C and it's not hitting the wattage wall because the TDP topped out at 86.9%.

EDIT:

Oh, and if someone's interested here's a picture of it with the shroud off. Memory seems to be, as much as I could see without taking the heatsink off, Samsung K4G41325FC-HC03.
2nkrrba.jpg
 

·
⤷ αC
Joined
·
11,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanci View Post

frown.gif
This is the last time I'm buying a card blindfolded... I heard EVGA released an official bios update for their ACX series to reduce fan noise, so I guess I'll wait a some time to see if they come up with an update for the SC model. If not, I'm going for Zotac.
But you have EVGA stepup and Maxwell GM200/GM204/GM206 is supposed to come in second half of the year so you just might squeak by. If not, the resale value is great.
wink.gif


Anyhow, there's supposed to be a BIOS update for the EVGA FTW edition that lowers idle fan speed. People complained that the idle on the new BIOs, although a dB quieter, is still too loud.
Quote:
Much like the previously-reviewed Gigabyte, EVGA's fan profile is too aggressive when there's little or no GPU activity, resulting in idle noise level being noticeable. The fans' decibel rating looks good in the graph, especially under load, but they're certainly more audible than those present on other cards' - the pitch is a little higher than expected.

[Update] EVGA appears to be aware of the card's unbalanced acoustics and has released a BIOS update that it claims will "reduce the fan noise level while the card is idle."

We've tested this new BIOS, which updates the card to 82.07.25.00.53, and found that while the fan-speed is still at 42 per cent, the pitch is certainly lower. Our idle-load decibel reading drops from 34.4dB to 33.5dB.
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/66825-evga-geforce-gtx-750-ti-ftw-acx/?page=10
Quote:
The update to fan acoustics is the only change in this BIOS. Also please keep in mind it will not lower the minimum allowed fanspeed (42%), but the acoustic level will be lower. To update please follow the below instructions:
http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2123961

You'd think a card with two fat copper direct contact heatpipes and two large 80mm or 90mm fans and a large heatsink would be less aggressive fan-wise than the stock aluminum finned heatsink that is half the size.

Your best bet is a simple BIOS tweak in Kepler BIOS tweaker (see http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2051418)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loladinas View Post

Oh, and if someone's interested here's a picture of it with the shroud off. Memory seems to be, as much as I could see without taking the heatsink off, Samsung K4G41325FC-HC03.
How's the noise?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanci View Post

How's the noise?
Subjectively speaking, it's inaudible. I sit about a meter away from the case. The min. fan speed is 33%, it spins up to like 45% while playing Thief 4, and I still can't hear it over the sound the low pitched hum my HDD makes. The temperatures hover around 60C mark though, the 50C in my previous post is with the fan running at 100%, and it's loud. It starts getting loud at about 50-55%.

It does make a slight clicking sound that can head if you place your next to it, which makes me think it's not the best quality fan. I wish they hadn't changed the mounting holes... Would've gotten an aftermarket cooler for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
OK, I'm confused, no matter the settings core clock seems to always stay at 1311Mhz. Does that mean I need to increase voltage?

40c.png
eag.png
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
I'm just starting to figure out how to OC this thing. Figured out I had to "fix invalid clocks" before I could increase the boost, then I stumbled upon "max boost states" which finally let me get over that 1311Mhz figure. I didn't change any voltages but I noticed that despite high clocks the voltage is lower (1.075 vs. 1.143), and I have no idea which voltage I should increase. It seems to be a lot more complicated than overclocking a CPU...

This is after running Unigine Heaven 4.0.
gz2.png
 

·
⤷ αC
Joined
·
11,278 Posts
I looked at the specsheet for uPI uP1608 on the MSI Gaming, it seems it only supports 4 phases total. Given that info, perhaps MSI is using 3+1 on the Gaming edition. The black looking cube thing (supposed to be a choke there) has empty mosfet locations on the right side of the PCB. I just checked the image of the back of the PCB , there's no mosfets there either.

Going back to edit the PCB post to reflect that.

The reference board uses a 2 phase OnSemi NCP81172 yet packs another phase for memory/PLL, but the reason why I suspect the MSI Gaming is 3+1 is I zoomed in and don't see any mosfets on the front or back of the PCB near that black cube on the right side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
My brother is looking for a card to replace his current GTX460 768MB, so I was thinking of suggesting a 750Ti because they seem to be getting great results. He games at 1080p and not very many recent games, but he starting a playthrough of Bioshock Infinite.

Think it'd be a good upgrade for him?

Also, it doesn't seem like there's been a consensus on which vendor is the best, but I like the look of the ASUS model. Anyone have any recommendations on this front?

Thanks!
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB17 View Post

Here is my current OC on my FTW 750ti. Runs BF4 stable
smile.gif
Seems mine does 1350/1650 stably. I tried pushing it further but then it crashes Thief 4 after an hour or so of gameplay, even if it passes Unigene 4.0 just fine.
Can anyone tell me which voltages I need to increase and what's a safe threshold? What I found odd is that when I overclocked it the VDDC went from 1.143V stock to 1.075V currently. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpak12 View Post

My brother is looking for a card to replace his current GTX460 768MB, so I was thinking of suggesting a 750Ti because they seem to be getting great results. He games at 1080p and not very many recent games, but he starting a playthrough of Bioshock Infinite.

Think it'd be a good upgrade for him?

Also, it doesn't seem like there's been a consensus on which vendor is the best, but I like the look of the ASUS model. Anyone have any recommendations on this front?

Thanks!
thumb.gif
It's not a "performance" card. There's no point for getting it unless you've got an old PSU with no PCI-E power connectors, have a mITX build with space constraints or for sheer novelty (look ma, it's under 60 watts!).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpak12 View Post

My brother is looking for a card to replace his current GTX460 768MB, so I was thinking of suggesting a 750Ti because they seem to be getting great results. He games at 1080p and not very many recent games, but he starting a playthrough of Bioshock Infinite.

Think it'd be a good upgrade for him?

Also, it doesn't seem like there's been a consensus on which vendor is the best, but I like the look of the ASUS model. Anyone have any recommendations on this front?

Thanks!
thumb.gif
I ordered one for my Linux system to do the same upgrade. Been on back order with Amazon but they finally shipped it. It looks like a significant upgrade to me.

For a $150 card, the R7 265 seems like a better deal, but I expect those will be marked up by the retailers. And I get a lot better results with NVIDIA drivers and Linux.

You mentioned Bioshock, should play it great.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-750-ti-review,3750-10.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
bkt.png


First post! New to overclocking but spent 6 hours last night trying to perfect it. 13% GPU Overclock and 21% Memory overclock. Runs heaven loop stable, have yet to try an intensive game yet, but I dont own any atm lol. I see some people in this thread with like 1450 core clock before boost.. crazy!
thumb.gif
Btw I have the MSI 750 Ti Gaming Edition
 
41 - 60 of 3194 Posts
Top