Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Title kind of says it all. I am thinking about buying Nvidia GTX Titan when it arrives. I have intel p67 motherboard and i7 2600k at 4.4 ghz.
Will the GTX Titan be bottlenecked by my CPU or by PCI-E 2.0 x 16?

Thanks!
smile.gif

·

13,041 Posts
No. you'll be ok.

• Rep+
Reactions: Yahar

·
Registered
346 Posts
Whoever scared the general population into "ermagherd, ma CPU will bottleneck my grerfics card" mode I want to punch in the face. Bottle neck is like seriously choke, not mildly hamper. Source of the analogy, pouring liquid from a bottle. The bottle neck obstructs the flow from the bottle to a very high degree. You would have to have a real POS CPU to worry about that at today's resolutions. Sure if you ran a CPU at 5+ GHz the performance would increase a bit, probably staying well within really playable FPS giving you a before and after between which you can tell no difference, but no, it'll be fine. So many games at the resolutions we play at are graphics card limited and so long as your CPU can feed a reasonably large amount of data to the cards all is well. I'm running a hex core gulftown and it performs almost identically to an IVY and hands down beats out anything with less cores on 1156/1155 when CPU score comes in, and clock for clock is basically indistinguishable. I'm running SLI 680's and wouldn't hesitate to run SLI titans or 780's when they're released on this setup.

• Rep+
Reactions: Scorpion49

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!
smile.gif

Anyhow, whether if I can see a difference or not doesn't matter. That is not my question. I am asking because I am interested if there is even the slightest bit of performance difference. I may or may not see it, I will decide that! =) But, I'd like to know that if there is any difference even on paper.

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts
My guess is: To the same extent an i7-2600k @ 4.4ghz would bottleneck a GTX690. Which apparently is none or very minimal.

·
Registered
346 Posts
There will be slight performance difference on paper, sure, if you compare your setup to say an Ivy at 5GHz. To what extent, no idea. But a reduction of a couple/few FPS does not constitute a bottleneck or anything like it, which actually was your question as you asked it. Perhaps you should have asked "is there even the slightest bit of performance difference, even on paper". The answer to that is yes.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the answers. =)

It is a bottleneck if it's not working to full performance, atleast on my logic. But yeah, I found some results about GTX 690 scaling on PCI-E 2.0 vs PCI-E 3.0. Seemed to be what you've been saying. Slight difference there, or in some cases not much.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts