Overclock.net banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Update: In an effort to release the results faster to you guys, I will be skipping overclocking tonight as I am still having temperature related issues and am not satisified with the current clocks I have achieved (all of which will be diagnosed and resolved tomorrow night). I have just uploaded the majority of the review so feel free to comment on what has been posted thus far. Conclusion will be given after entire review has been posted. Thank you all for being so patient and keep checking in for tomorrow's overclocking results.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,169 Posts
The updated BIOS helps a lot! Were there significant changes beyond the memory clock? I can't see how raising the memory 50MHz would make such a difference, especially with the bus this has.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,330 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx
View Post

The updated BIOS helps a lot! Were there significant changes beyond the memory clock? I can't see how raising the memory 50MHz would make such a difference, especially with the bus this has.

Probably because the original bios had a ton of debugging stuff in it that severly slowed the card down.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Just to update, I will be providing overclocking results tonight as planned. I was trying to work with the EVGA GPU Voltage Tuner yesterday night and as stated before I ran into some instability due to temperature issues therefore all overclocks will be done based on stock voltage. Will release a post soon as I have them up. Also for those of you who missed the updated post last night (due to release late at night) feel free to check out the OP for some benchmark results and temperature testing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Major Update

Entire review has been fully updated, and submitted. All updated photos and screenshots have been uploaded and all writing has been thoroughly revised and edited. Please refer to OP for review and may the commenting and questions begin...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,411 Posts
Very nice and sucks the OC can't go to high and why such high core temps??? Thought Nvidia did a good job of keeping it cool. As for the bios, don't they usually downgrade the card(via bios) since they don't want people knowing the exact specs and how well it performs?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
Very nice and sucks the OC can't go to high and why such high core temps??? Thought Nvidia did a good job of keeping it cool. As for the bios, don't they usually downgrade the card(via bios) since they don't want people knowing the exact specs and how well it performs?
The overclocking potential was primarily limited by the high temperatures. But I would like to point out that the settings I use for Furmark, make it work like the "IntelBurnTest" of GPU stability testing. No game will ever make it reach that temperature. So I was only overclocking for worst case scenario. In most instances it can probably clock much higher for games.
 

·
I heard you were dead...
Joined
·
8,508 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Open1Your1Eyes0 View Post

Major Update

Entire review has been fully updated, and submitted. All updated photos and screenshots have been uploaded and all writing has been thoroughly revised and edited. Please refer to OP for review and may the commenting and questions begin...


Would you mind running one without PhysX just for comparison's sake? I just want to see what it would do. It doesn't have to redo all of the tests... Just 1 would be perfect!

PS--Very good rundown! What a lucky auction!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by sweffymo
View Post

Would you mind running one without PhysX just for comparison's sake? I just want to see what it would do. It doesn't have to redo all of the tests... Just 1 would be perfect!

PS--Very good rundown! What a lucky auction!

Yes, I will definitely do this, and in fact I will do it with overclocked settings as well. However, I will be unable to tonight because I have a work related meeting I must stay to late at night but tomorrow night I will most definitely continue with "PhysX Disabled" testing. Thanks for your input.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,905 Posts
This thread needs a 56k warning. Badly.

I have broadband at home, but I tried browsing this thread through a 56k connection and it didn't even load the first pic.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Nick911
View Post

Thought Nvidia cards ran cool and thought it wasn't going to be an issue.

Those are normal temperatures for any GTX280 on Furmark. This card is a little more sensitive to temperatures however, which is why it doesn't clock as well.

Quote:


Originally Posted by metallicamaster3
View Post

Folding Benchmarks demanded!



I may include them sometime but for now you can expect them to be same as a regular GTX280. With the new BIOS it basically turns into a regular GTX280 (as far as performance goes).

Quote:


Originally Posted by PanicProne
View Post

This thread needs a 56k warning. Badly.

I have broadband at home, but I tried browsing this thread through a 56k connection and it didn't even load the first pic.

Will be taken care of.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
As previously promised, I will be conducting "PhysX Disabled" 3DMark Vantage testing tonight, so keep checking in and I will post an update once the results are up. You can expect a total of 4 results (Stock BIOS/Stock Clocks, Updated BIOS/Stock Clocks, Stock BIOS/Overclocked, and Updated BIOS/Overclocked).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Update

I have just uploaded the "Physx Disabled" test results for 3DMark Vantage. Please refer to OP for pics.
Unfortunately, I reached my limit of pics for the post so I had to get rid of a couple of lesser important ones to make room.
 

·
I heard you were dead...
Joined
·
8,508 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Open1Your1Eyes0
View Post

Update

I have just uploaded the "Physx Disabled" test results for 3DMark Vantage. Please refer to OP for pics.
Unfortunately, I reached my limit of pics for the post so I had to get rid of a couple of lesser important ones to make room.

Thanks for doing that for me!

Now would you mind running the tests on water, oil submersion, Dry Ice, Phase Change, and LN for me?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by sweffymo
View Post

Thanks for doing that for me!

Now would you mind running the tests on water, oil submersion, Dry Ice, Phase Change, and LN for me?


Easy there buddy, I am willing to help out with what I can but within reason of course. I have very limited time and even more limited budget so unless you'd be willing to fund my experiment I'm gonna have to skip it.

You can pretty much expect the same results as on a regular GTX280 (when using the updated BIOS) so refer to other GTX280 reviews for this info.
 
41 - 60 of 98 Posts
Top