4,228 Posts
i love gtx 280s. they are so sexy.

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CL3P20 View Post
Confirmed: the blue wires are for bypassing thermal control ..Gigabyte recently posted a guide to OC their GTX275 Lightning..they briefly detailed disabling thermal control for the GPU..similar to the method seen on your PCB.

Do I get a cookie naow?

Thanks a lot man. That's pretty interesting but why would they want to bypass thermal control?

What exactly does that do for the operation of the card? Does it increase/decrease temps or does it just disable auto fan control?

Would it be safe to unsolder them? What would that change?

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
I would say, leave them..there is no telling if the GPU has something special in the BIOS or not..although I doubt removing them will damage anything, you would be wise to be prepared to install them again if it goes bunk.
..Having them there sort of adds mystic to it already being an ES..I would keep it exactly the way it is.

*As for the temp functions..they would help control the characteristics of the PMW phases for GPUv on the card. Bypassing these functions would effectively be 'ignoring' any heat related characteristics the mosfets or PMW control IC might have...such as bad vdroop above 'x' temp, or 'x' amount of amperage required above said temp..etc. Basically, you should be able to raise voltage to the spec'd limit of the power phases when testing the GPU...it should also remove thermal protection/shutdown for GPU and PMW's..could affect OCP as well.

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CL3P20
View Post

I would say, leave them..there is no telling if the GPU has something special in the BIOS or not..although I doubt removing them will damage anything, you would be wise to be prepared to install them again if it goes bunk.
..Having them there sort of adds mystic to it already being an ES..I would keep it exactly the way it is.

*As for the temp functions..they would help control the characteristics of the PMW phases for GPUv on the card. Bypassing these functions would effectively be 'ignoring' any heat related characteristics the mosfets or PMW control IC might have...such as bad vdroop above 'x' temp, or 'x' amount of amperage required above said temp..etc. Basically, you should be able to raise voltage to the spec'd limit of the power phases when testing the GPU...it should also remove thermal protection/shutdown for GPU and PMW's..could affect OCP as well.

That's pretty awesome. I'm probably gonna leave it though because I'm not sure what might happen and I really don't want to accidentally kill it. LOL. It is quite an interesting discovery though.

I will definitely be playing around with overvolting this thing and trying to OC it higher. I'm actually even thinking about eventually buying a waterblock for it, in hopes of lowering the temps and being able to increase the voltage even higher and get a possible higher overclock.

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by W4LNUT5 View Post
e-cookie for you sir (since you cannot be repped)
Oh but he can

And he has been!

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Update: For those you whom were interested in the sale of this card I am currently appraising it so if you're interested please add your commentary on this thread: Click Here

OP updated with link at bottom as well. Consider this my first step in consideration for sale of this card. Due to the overload in sale referenced PM's, I think many of you will be pleased.

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Major Update and Thread Conclusion
The card has officially been sold but the user requested to remain anonymous therefore I will not be revealing their name unless they request otherwise. I have officially concluded my review for this card so I want to thank all of you who have helped me out and helped me discover what this card truly is capable of. This has been a very interesting and enjoyable experience and you can expect I will definitely be continuing my famous reviews in the future. Thanks everyone for being such a great help.

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Update: The card is back on sale for the final time. If you are purchasing this please be serious. Do not make any promises to pay later. Sale Link Here

Card has been sold.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts