Overclock.net banner

Nvidia GTX295 Guide

14122 Views 68 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  ljason8eg
Although there have been a number of threads discussing various aspects of the newly released GTX295 from Nvidia, given that I will be picking mine up tomorrow, it makes sense to have a single resource thread geared towards the card (similar to my ATI HD4870X2 thread).

The card that I have ordered is the BFG model.

I will provide pics and be able to provide comparisons between this card and my ATI 4870X2's (I still have 2 of them) on the same system setup.

I am looking for content that can be added to this thread;

Overclocking results, water block mounting (as Danger Den now has a block available), Volt modding etc.

Benchmarks from various games and FPS counting apps will also be much appreciated.

Standard Specifications:

Core: 576 Mhz

Shader: 1242 Mhz

Memory: 1998 Mhz

RAM: 1792 MB (combined)

Brands currently available:

EVGA (Lifetime warranty, requires registration, 90 day step up program)

Asus (3 year warranty no registration required, includes proprietary Asus Smartdoctor software)

PNY Verto (1 year warranty, additional two years if registered on PNY site)

MSI (1 year warranty)

Zotac Lifetime (requires registration through their site)

Gigabyte (1 year warranty)

BFG (lifetime warranty, requires registration within 30 days of purchase, 100 day step up program)
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· Premium Member
20,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
EVGA is now selling a Backplate cooler that will work with all reference board GTX295's (which are all that are currently available).

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInf...401-EV-1234-01

Price: $19.99 USD

Part Number: 401-EV-1234-01

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/4503...ce-tested.html

Audiofreak has done some tests with and without the backplate and posted results in his thread.

Here is the link for the Danger Den waterblock (retailing for $190 USD)

http://www.dangerden.com/store/produ...87&cat=0&page=

· Premium Member
20,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are some pics:

· Registered
254 Posts
Ok well I just did a quick benchmark to help out a bit. I have a EVGA GTX 295 at 1.1V 660/1423/1100 Did a furmark benchmark, during the benchmark i reahced 70/60 (could of went higher, when i did my stablity test I reached a max of 79/68 it wouldnt go any higher. Ill post my results for you guys to look at

· Premium Member
8,307 Posts
Here is the thread I started a while ago on GTX 295 water blocks. Copy product links here if you want. There are at least 4 companies with blocks available currently. EK has 4 different versions of their block.

I've gotten my GTX 295 Plus version (594/1026) up to 670/1154 stable so far. I think the core is about topped out, but I didn't really push the memory too hard so it should have plenty of room left. The backplate did nothing for my temps. Looks good, that's about it. I'll get some screen shots of some benches and post them here. The Plus card was limited in quantity so I'd like to see how it compares to other cards. The small clock gain over stock versions make me think that other cards won't perform any worse than this one.

· Premium Member
20,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still have two of my X2's and love them. I just figured I was due to test another nvidia product.

· Registered
1,805 Posts
Rob,

I've been running 2xGTX 295 for ~10 days now.
Just installed 182.05, (from 181.22) and all's well. Actually the cards are pretty impressive (~38k in vantage) with my i7 @3.8 ghz HT disabled.
Clocks on the 295's are 728/1600/2400 @1.15v gpu using the EVGA voltage tuner.

Both cards are EVGA. Just ordered the plastic back plates which are supposed to lower temps with the stock cooler.

I found my 1kw Silverstone was ok to run the cards to ~650mhz gpu clock, but the psu gave out above 650 mhz. For the time being, I'm running one of the 295's on a separate Corsair 750w psu.
I have a PC Power & Cooling 1200w psu on order, hoping that will be sufficient to power the whole rig properly.

Looking forward to other user's input.

· Premium Member
20,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by suphiceto
View Post

Have you tested out your new card yet? Cant wait to see your results! when you put your benchies, can you also put 4870x2 ? I just wonder how it does with your EP45 and with your C2Q compare to 4870x2.

I'll post matching results with the same board (UD3P) and my Q9650 clocked at 4ghz to elminate bottleneck. The card is in at the supplier, I am picking it up tomorrow morning so some results will be pending tomorrow.

· Premium Member
20,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuclearjock View Post
Rob,

Just installed 182.05, (from 181.22) and all's well. Actually the cards are pretty impressive (~38k in vantage) with my i7 @3.8 ghz HT disabled.

Both cards are EVGA. Just ordered the plastic back plates which are supposed to lower temps with the stock cooler.

I found my 1kw Silverstone was ok to run the cards to ~650mhz gpu clock, but the psu gave out above 650 mhz. For the time being, I'm running one of the 295's on a separate Corsair 750w psu.
I have a PC Power & Cooling 1200w psu on order, hoping that will be sufficient to power the whole rig properly.

Thanks for the info Nuke

Couple of things:

Are the EVGA backplates not made of aluminum? (you mentioned that they are plastic).

In summary, you feel that your Silverstone is insufficient to power two of the cards when heavily overclocked?

· Premium Member
8,307 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuclearjock View Post
Rob,

I couldn't get my core clock that high and have it pass an artifact scan. That sounds like a very good overclocking card.

· Banned
9,705 Posts
why hasn't any companies released an overclocked version of this card?

This leads me to believe that this card's already at its thermal limit, and therefore may have durability issues in the long run.

If this is the case, better go with eVGA or BFG.

· Premium Member
8,307 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowtoblerone View Post
why hasn't any companies released an overclocked version of this card?

This leads me to believe that this card's already at its thermal limit, and therefore may have durability issues in the long run.

If this is the case, better go with eVGA or BFG.
EVGA released the Plus Edition at first, because I got one on step up for some reason, probably mistake by them. The clocks aren't much higher than the regular version though.

· Registered
1,805 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robilar
View Post

Thanks for the info Nuke

Couple of things:

Are the EVGA backplates not made of aluminum? (you mentioned that they are plastic).

In summary, you feel that your Silverstone is insufficient to power two of the cards when heavily overclocked?

My bad Rob, the backplates are in fact aluminum.

I can run a single card @728/1600/2400 @1.15v (evga voltage tuner) no probs.

When I add the second card, I can't surpass 660 mhz gpu clock. I've swapped cards and singly they both clock at 728/1600/2400 @1.15v.

Further, running the second card off of the auxillary 750 watt psu allows me to run both cards at 728/1600/2400 @1.15v. So I'm thinking this implies the psu is marginal.

I've already offloaded all my water cooling (pump and fans) to their own dedicated psu, so I'm a bit surprised, but yea, it looks like my 1kw Oly is coming up a bit short for these two (four) cards.

2x GTX 285, no probs.

You'll also find the 55nm die shrink results in noticably lower temps which is always nice.

The EVGA voltage tuner was brand specific (EVGA) when released last Saturday and limited to 1.183v (I think) max. But there already is a hacked version out there that removes the brand specificity, and raises the voltage limit to 2.00v should one be so inclined.

PC P&C 1200 is on it's way. I'll let you know if it does the trick.

· Premium Member
20,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think it depends on the app. My HD4870X2 is excellent in that regard and the reviews I have read have been fairly dismissive of any noticeable stutter with the GTX295 as well.

One of the things that swayed me to this card is COD. I play COD4 and COD WAW (to a much lesser extent) pretty much exclusively.

Of the 6 reviews I found, all posted not only higher FPS in the Call of Duty games but in a couple of cases noted higher minimum FPS (which was the most important thing to me). This of course at 1920x1200 which is the res I play at.

Here are some samples:

· Premium Member
8,307 Posts
I just took nuclearjock's advice and raised the voltage with the EVGA tuner. It allowed me to get up to 720 on the core stable now in Furmark. I ran Vantage again at 720/2400 and gained 867 points to 24509 so that's not bad.
LL

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.