Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
If it performs well, then i'm definately going SLI with these.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
When we're getting to this minimal level of space, power plays a more important rule since the design of the case that this would be specialized for will usually not be able to fit a proper size PSU.

Not to mention the fact that Nvidia can't make a single slot IO backpanel to save their life. I'm not sold on this design and it tries to cater to an audience but does so wrongly. It looks like a good card but I'll tell you that it is not a SFF dream card.

They most likely made it this length to save money.

EDIT: Let me clarify my point. The GTX 680 is 10.5" long. The cases that have a PSU strong enough to support it are built in the area of that size. This GTX 670 is much shorter. The cases that this would fit in will most likely not have the proper PSU availability to run this card.

Basically, a short card does not automatically make it amazing for SFF.

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Already planning a fullcover block to it
biggrin.gif
.... Its just what I have been looking for, the most powerful card out now in that size, is the Club3D GTX560ti - This is more like it
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfire View Post

This card will surely be deployed a lot in the 'beastly mATX/ITX' club.
biggrin.gif
I see some GTX580s and GTX480s there.
Not saying it won't show up there. I am just saying there isn't anything that makes it such a special SFF card.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
how convenient that this card is just barely shorter than the full length of an ITX board

ratio of measurements
from the back of the PCB to the second PCIe notch : length of the PCB

Zotac Z68-ITX AE:
- 192px / 252px = 0.761
Pictured 670 PCB:
- 312px / 413px = 0.755

Given a human margin of error, that puts this card's PCB at about a length of 6.7" or 170mm.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
The problem I see with the card is that many manufacturer's aren't going to put the fan on top of the card, instead, they will put a blower at the end of the card and add another few inches to it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funfortehfun View Post

The problem I see with the card is that many manufacturer's aren't going to put the fan on top of the card, instead, they will put a blower at the end of the card and add another few inches to it.
That's what the reference cooler looks like, from what I've seen. Power plugs are in the middle of the card and it makes room for a bigger fan. It looks very silly. Frankly, I think I would want a longer card just because it'll hide my horrendous cable management in this tiny case.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funfortehfun View Post

The problem I see with the card is that some manufacturer's may not put the fan on top of the card, instead, they might follow reference design and put a blower at the end of the card.
Companies like Palit and Club 3D will definitely not miss their opportunities to release truncated versions of these cards.
Additionally, this really opens up quite a lot as far as SSF WC'ing goes.
I wouldn't be very surprised at all if closed-loop versions of these cards are released.

Regardless, I have a feeling these will be showing up in a good number of uber SFF builds now, given how short the reference FC blocks will be.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Compare to the Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3X OC, with larger PCB .....

...... Already planning a fullcover block to the small PCB, my dream card
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
I like it.
smile.gif

it's a "modders" card. it opens up alot of possibilities especially in the future versions of the SG06 and the FT03 type cases. it will be interesting to see how this card plays out in the FT03 mini installation.

I can see a double wide passive cooler or even a triple wide passive cooler especially designed for the FT02/RV02 style cases. silverstone REALLY need to get into the video card business
biggrin.gif
or at least team up with gigabyte to make some custom passive coolers for the vertical mount cases they make.

would love to see something like the silent cell with 28nm gpu's

with some redesign, it can be optimized for vertical mounted cases and perform very well considering the positive pressure design of the cases.

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthybox View Post

how convenient that this card is just barely shorter than the full length of an ITX board
ratio of measurements
from the back of the PCB to the second PCIe notch : length of the PCB
Zotac Z68-ITX AE:
- 192px / 252px = 0.761
Pictured 670 PCB:
- 312px / 413px = 0.755
Given a human margin of error, that puts this card's PCB at about a length of 6.7" or 170mm.
Good calculation.

As the length of the PCIE insert is known, I use that to calculate proportionally the length of the PCB based on the photo with the scaler in OpenOffice Drawer. The card length comes up to be 174mm.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts