Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nvidia is Corrupting Windows for everyone

I am not the only one with this issue: http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/29947-sfc-some-corrupt-files-can-not-fixed-19.html

If you run Nvidia drivers, 358 through 359.06, go to Command Prompt Admin, and type in sfc /scannow

It will come back and tell you it found corrupt files but was unable to fix them, the latest Nvidia drivers have corrupted some windows files.

I tested this on 3 clean install PC's, not the same PC, my parents, grandparents, and mine. Each time is says same thing, a fresh clean install of Windows 10 with the latest updated creation tool direct from Microsoft.

Nvidia is corrupting Windows files. Anyone with more technical know how care to verify this for me? Just run sfc /scannow in command prompt admin, and I will bet $20 it says found corrupt files but unable to fix them. I did this check on an AMD rig, and no such issue occurred.

this only effects clean installs of Windows 10 with the 1511 update. If you upgraded your Windows 10, I'm sure your fine. seems to effect on 7xx and 9xx cards.

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
No corrupt files here. I just happened to run this earlier because of a refresh rate issue that sprung up. Everything verified 100%.

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post

No corrupt files here. I just happened to run this earlier because of a refresh rate issue that sprung up. Everything verified 100%.
Interesting... can some more people try it? I know I am not the only one, tenforums has plenty of people with the same issue.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
It's not Nvidia, hell I don't know who to blame but yes that's a problem. eg. I don't have AMD or Nvidia card, just rocking my iGPU with it's drivers yet I get the same error. The only way to fix it is to use DISM against your original ISO and then it's "fixed". Which one is the correct file to have, the one we have vs. what MS wants us to have (and when it sees it's not that, it complains of an error).

·
Registered
537 Posts
If you remove the Nvidia card entirely and install the "current" Win 10 iso... I am pretty sure you are going to get the same exact error(s). I don't remember ever having this issue previously but with the new November build I have to fix this with every "fresh install". That is regardless of whether its on my Nvidia box or my Fury X box.

Sometimes sfc /scannow will say it repaired the errors and other times you have to use the dism tool with the source option. More common to have to use the source option to do the repair.

There were things that could happen previously.. like a failed install of certain windows features which would create this issue. However, it was never included in the normal install before.

I've gotten new copies of the iso.. tried various usb sticks etc.. but my experience is currently that *I* will have this issue with any fresh install. After I "fix it" I don't have the issue again.

*edited to add* This will also happen if you are doing an upgrade from a previous version. Its not just a clean install thing. So my guess is that there is a file in the current iso that shouldn't be.. or I guess the file that should be.. isn't. However, you want to look at it.

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just going to go back to Win 8.1 and see if that fixes it, I honestly have no intention of buying a Directx12 game until 2017... so yeah, /shrug

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just finished win 8.1 switch, all drivers installed, and 0 issues now with sfc scan, yeah I am in no rush at all for windows 10, I will give it another year to work its kinks out.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Windows 10 with 359.06

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

Windows 10 with 359.06
Hmm, guess it is just bad luck on my end, oh well. I am happy with windows 8 for now, I only want win 10 for directx 12 and it can not provide me with enough worthy games next year anyway.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

Windows 10 with 359.06
Was this a fresh install of Win 10 with the November iso.. or a pre-existing install ? The November update on my machine with a pre-existing install didn't cause integrity violations. I only see it with fresh installs with the current iso on Microsoft's site.

*edit*

For people that do get the error saying violations were found and some could not be repaired... As an example...

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:D:\Win10\sources\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

^^ This command (edit this part "D:\Win10\sources\" to point to the sources directory for your windows 10 files) will fix the problem. Simpy run sfc /scannow again after dism completes and it will then fix the violations

·
Premium Member
6,867 Posts
This issue is present across all twelve of the Surface Books we've recently deployed at work. Though in that context, it's not the worst of issues.

edit: I should mention that the checksum validates against the version nvidia distributes, so it's probably an issue of Windows not recognizing that this file is being replaced.

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalwolf View Post

Was this a fresh install of Win 10 with the November iso.. or a pre-existing install ? The November update on my machine with a pre-existing install didn't cause integrity violations. I only see it with fresh installs with the current iso on Microsoft's site.

*edit*

For people that do get the error saying violations were found and some could not be repaired... As an example...

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:D:\Win10\sources\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

^^ This command (edit this part "D:\Win10\sources\" to point to the sources directory for your windows 10 files) will fix the problem. Simpy run sfc /scannow again after dism completes and it will then fix the violations
holy crap... ty +rep...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
this is from a 1 week old win 10 upgrade from win 7

I have the newest nvidia drives installed.......

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipple16 View Post

this is from a 1 week old win 10 upgrade from win 7

I have the newest nvidia drives installed.......
yep, there is something wrong with the windows 10 media creation tool for clean installs direct from that iso tool.

I have a feeling these people not having issues, did the upgrade and not the clean install. Clean install worked fine until the November update.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

yep, there is something wrong with the windows 10 media creation tool for clean installs direct from that iso tool.

I have a feeling these people not having issues, did the upgrade and not the clean install. Clean install worked fine until the November update.
I did update.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Quote:

CMD says my original install date was November 14th. So it was whatever Microsoft's latest media creation ISO download was giving me at that time.

·
Retired Moderation
10,672 Posts
I had an nvidia GPU running latest driver on Windows 10 up until last Friday. I uninstalled Nvidia driver with clean uninstall running DDU before moving onto an AMD GPU now running Crimson.

I ran sfc /scannow and Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

I dunno if someone is getting a clean install off the current .iso I am happy for them.

I have tried fresh .iso multiple times to rule that out.

I've used multiple usb drives etc

I've tried 3 different chipsets (z97, z170, x99) with multiple hardware combo's acrossed them.. I cannot get an install of Win 10 that doesn't have violations at the current time. Its easy enough to fix at least.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:

I dunno if someone is getting a clean install off the current .iso I am happy for them.

I have tried fresh .iso multiple times to rule that out.

I've used multiple usb drives etc

I've tried 3 different chipsets (z97, z170, x99) with multiple hardware combo's acrossed them.. I cannot get an install of Win 10 that doesn't have violations at the current time. Its easy enough to fix at least.
Z68 Chipset here.

CSI 00004f98 [SR] Verify complete
2015-12-15 13:23:08, Info CSI 00004f99 [SR] Repairing 1 components
2015-12-15 13:23:08, Info CSI 00004f9a [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2015-12-15 13:23:08, Info CSI 00004f9b Hashes for file member \??\C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\opencl.dll do not match actual file [l:10]"opencl.dll" :
Found: {l:32 OQMGOYrgIooYUujnrnx7pngg/jYEmCKvWcHRKKRR0VI=} Expected: {l:32 9rnAnuwzPjMQA7sW63oNAVhckspIngsqJXKYSUeQ5Do=}
2015-12-15 13:23:08, Info CSI 00004f9c [SR] Repairing corrupted file [l:23 ml:24]"\??\C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64"\[l:10]"opencl.dll" from store
2015-12-15 13:23:08, Info CSI [email protected]/12/15:18:23:08.300 Primitive installers committed for repair
2015-12-15 13:23:08, Info CSI 00004f9e [SR] Repair complete

Re-scanned to be safe and all is clear now. Thank OP.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts