Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a new build and I want a $200-$300 graphics card. What is the best deal for the money and why? I would use it for 1080p gaming. I'm currently thinking an HD 6950 unlocked to a 6970. Anybody know of a better deal?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Now AMD because Nvidia is going down the tubes..................almost 3 months since there WHQL release and they have been trying to Fix the TDR Problem for the past 5 months...........Nvidia used to be great and i loved them but they suck now. I was getting BF3 Glitches for MONTHS and all kinds of people posted the same on nvidia forums and Black stripe error's in BF3 and everyone was complaining about it, Nvidia didn't fix ****. I Bought myself a 6970 and 0 problems, BF3 runs like a charm now with NO BLACK STRIP Problems. **** nvidia !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND LOL I just checked AND STILL the 10/24 WHQL Release.........WOW ****vidia SUCKS. Thank god i bought an AMD this build, its funny because i used to love Nvidia but now its a wonder why all share is going to AMD. Nvidia SUCKS!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatname View Post

Working on a new build and I want a $200-$300 graphics card. What is the best deal for the money and why? I would use it for 1080p gaming. I'm currently thinking an HD 6950 unlocked to a 6970. Anybody know of a better deal?
if you want to get a 6950 to unlock, you should make sure that the brand you buy actually allows you to unlock to a 6970, there are some cards, especially earlier cards that will allow the unlock

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestedThirdParty View Post

if you want to get a 6950 to unlock, you should make sure that the brand you buy actually allows you to unlock to a 6970, there are some cards, especially earlier cards that will allow the unlock
Yeah, I've done my research. The card I'm looking at has a dual BIOS switch and according to one report I read, actually has the 6970 BIOS pre-loaded, so all I would have to do is flip the switch.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinDaDragon View Post

You still have a chance of failing though
Everything has a chance of failing. Life is a bunch of 1's and 0's with research and solid statistics allowing you to better achieve a 1 aka WINNING. Everything has a risk of failing its all about the research and statistics that allow your probability of achieving the goal more possible. Nothing is 100 percent except death and taxes
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinDaDragon View Post

You still have a chance of failing though
Yeah I know. The 6950 is still a decent card though. And I could still overclock it up to 6970 specs without any trouble, I just wouldn't get a couple shader cores, which wouldn't make THAT much of a difference.

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Any well reviewed 6950 2gb should do you justice for the money, but I would highly recommend the Dirt3 edition or the Toxic Sapphire cards. Although once the 7950's and such release, 6 series cards should drop in price. I'm waiting for a price drop before I crossfire.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Two is perfectly fine, I had just not considered that particular 3-slot model, as I didn't see the point of it when I could get the same thing in a 2-slot. My mobo will have two slots between PCI-e slots, so 2-slot cards should be no problem.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I will go for the hd 6950, but I don't recommend unlocking it, I did a LOT of research and read TON of posts and the will just give you 3% more performance, but ypu can overclock the core and memory to reach HD 6970 stock speeds, that is much better, WITHOUT UNLOCKING...
thumb.gif

·
Retired Moderation
10,698 Posts
Your on a single 1080p monitor? Two cards better come to mind in your price range.

EVGA GTX 560Ti 448 Classified
$299.99 with $7.56 shipping = $307.55

MSI GTX 560Ti 448 TwinFrozr III $299.99 after MIR $279.99 with free shipping = $279.99

Showing benches with MSAA off or AA disabled to take away any unfair advantage the Nvidia card might have over the AMD 6950. Some will say 2GB VRAM is better but clearly even the 1.280GB VRAM is beating the AMD 6950 at 1920x1200 resolution proof above. None of the cards are over clocked. The AMD 6950 is a healthy card whether heavily over clocked or unlocked with slight over clock on top of that. The GTX 560Ti 448 cards shown come with 6 phase PWM's and have no problems being heavily over clocked past the AMD 6950 counter parts.

Couple of things also to consider which if you want to leave an open door:

If your thinking of going with multiple monitors down the road then the AMD card would be your best choice.

If you thinking of going with 3D Vision gaming and watching blu-ray 3D movies down the road then Nvidia is your best choice.

Either 560ti 448 or 6950 though is going to be a great card and you will be happy with your performance in your price range. Up to you and personal preference.

Have any more questions on the 448 - go to GTX 560 Ti 448 core OC Club and ask actual owners. They're helpful on that thread. You can also view their performance posted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts