Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
I've tried surround twice and think 2560x1440 is way better.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've been running a surround setup with 3 lg ips235v monitors... The picture quality is fantastic as they are ips and that also makes viewing angles superior to tn panels (which is important for surround).

I am currently in the process of switching to a single 1440p display as there are too many headaches with surround gaming. The support just isn't there with games and you gotta tweak most to get it working. Also if you are set on going surround make sure your gpu is up to the task I have 2 680s sli and still couldn't max a lot of games in surround..anyway that's my 2 cents good luck!

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philharmonik View Post

Can you ellaborate a little more as why? Im guessing you are talking about a single IPS monitor?
The bezels get in the way, you have to turn your head, theres so much going on its hard to focus. I don't get a headache, i just get overwhelmed.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftstealth View Post

The bezels get in the way, you have to turn your head, theres so much going on its hard to focus. I don't get a headache, i just get overwhelmed.
I, personally, didn't find any of these things a problem. It's mainly peripheral vision so I never really had to actually focus on the side monitors, just makes the experience more immersive. I also was never distracted by the bezels. This is of course just personal preferences. Like I said before, performance issues, compatibility issues, and space taken up on my desk were my main reasons for switching. When it worked it was spectacular, the problem is it rarely works well.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryfreedom66 View Post

I, personally, didn't find any of these things a problem. It's mainly peripheral vision so I never really had to actually focus on the side monitors, just makes the experience more immersive. I also was never distracted by the bezels. This is of course just personal preferences. Like I said before, performance issues, compatibility issues, and space taken up on my desk were my main reasons for switching. When it worked it was spectacular, the problem is it rarely works well.
Yeah I don't have any of those problems either. I was playing Crysis 3 last night on 3 monitors with my 580LE SLI setup and it was amazing. Monitors were nothing special, borrowed from work. I do like the peripheral vision aspect of it. Like you said, its very immersive. Especially when playing MP. You can see enemies in much easier around you and manuvering in vehicles is even better. I do however worry about having to drop down my settings just to have it run at high FPS. Now I'm starting to lean back toward a regular 1080p 24"!
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
924 Posts
BTW, you do need a 120hz monitor, as in 3d it has to render two pictures at once, each running at 60hz.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagkaman View Post

BTW, you do need a 120hz monitor, as in 3d it has to render two pictures at once, each running at 60hz.
If the only benefit of 120Hz is being able to game in 3D, I guess not. I can't see myself sitting for hours in front of my screen staring at 3d images. I just keep hearing how 120 is so much better than 60, even if your not actually using 120Hz.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Yeah, its really more worth it to get a good quality IPS or other panel.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Is that Dell I posted from Craigslist worth it. I see that is 1600p instead of 1400p. Is that pushing it too much? If I go with IPS, should I stay with 1440p? Plus that Dell is 30"! I play mostly FPS.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philharmonik View Post

Is that Dell I posted from Craigslist worth it. I see that is 1600p instead of 1400p. Is that pushing it too much? If I go with IPS, should I stay with 1440p? Plus that Dell is 30"! I play mostly FPS.
I would say your 580 should be fine with 1600p. That monitor doesn't seem to be available to purchase retail anymore but looks to be going for over 600 used on ebay and other places...so i'd say 375 is a good deal (offer 350, he'll take it
thumb.gif
)

heres a thread I found talking about that monitor for gaming http://hardforum.com/archive/index.php/t-1178226.html

EDIT: haha just realized that thread is from 2007!! thats an old monitor maybe look for something a little more recent

PS there is also some discussion on other forums about 1600p vs 1440p and whether or not 1600p cuts off part of your FOV...I know it was being discussed on one of the recent threads on here as well...

·
Registered
924 Posts
A 580 would be fine with one monitor, but you'd struggle to push three with just the one card.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

I'm going to take that advice and go with an IPS. Fits my budget MUCH better, and I keep hearing how great games look at such high resolutions like 1440p and 1600p. I'm going to try and make a deal with the guy on Craigslist and see if he will take 300!
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
924 Posts
I'm glad I helped.
biggrin.gif

·
Banned
999 Posts
Try to find three 16:10 aspect ratio monitors, as 16:9 looks a bit 'smashed' in Nvidia Surround.

Yes, yes, there are still good 16:10 monitors to be had!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryfreedom66 View Post

I would say your 580 should be fine with 1600p. That monitor doesn't seem to be available to purchase retail anymore but looks to be going for over 600 used on ebay and other places...so i'd say 375 is a good deal (offer 350, he'll take it
thumb.gif
)

heres a thread I found talking about that monitor for gaming http://hardforum.com/archive/index.php/t-1178226.html

EDIT: haha just realized that thread is from 2007!! thats an old monitor maybe look for something a little more recent

PS there is also some discussion on other forums about 1600p vs 1440p and whether or not 1600p cuts off part of your FOV...I know it was being discussed on one of the recent threads on here as well...
Oh no's! You really think I should look elsewhere since the Dell is so old??? I haven't told the guy I want to buy it for sure yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts