Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guide is no longer valid as p8057 is not beta!

I'm making a simple guide for some of the newer folders so they can easily setup folding these pristine work units on their nVidia GPU's. Almost any nVidia GPU from the 4xx series up can fold these well enough to beat the PPD of an i7. In my personal testing, even a GTS 450 does a solid 75k PPD. On the flip side, a modestly overclocked 580 will do 225k PPD.

Step 1:

Download the v7 folding client and install it using the recommended defaults. If you're new to folding, input your OCN nick as your folding name and input team 37726. Leave the passkey field blank as I will cover a method of assigning a passkey to each folding slot later. A passkey is not needed on a GPU unless you're joining the OCN Folding Team Competition.

Step 2:

You'll need to add a beta flag on each nVidia GPU. In v7, switch to expert mode:

Step 3:

Click Configure - Click Slots - Double Click The GPU Slot - Scroll Down and Click Add. Insert client-type in field one and beta in field 2 as shown below. Click Ok - Click Ok - and Save.

Step 4:

Quit the folding client and restart it. In post 2 I will cover how to replace beta folding core version 2.25 with 2.22 to increase your GPU PPD by nearly 30% or better.

·
Premium Member
13,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Core 2.22 is much better optimized for folding, but you can only use this core if you have a non-keplar GPU. Here is how you process replacing the core:

Step 1:

Download and Save FahCore_15

Step 2:

Pause your GPU folding clients by right clicking each one.

Step 3:

Open the directory in which the core is located as shown here, but replace my user name with your user name. You may need to manually type in the AppData folder if it's hidden. The path to the file on my PC is: C:\Users\BWG\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient\cores\www.stanford.edu\~pande\Win32\AMD64\NVIDIA\Fermi\beta\Core_15.fah

Copy the core over and replace it. Right click each GPU slot and click fold. That's it.

·
Premium Member
13,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can also replace the core in this folder, but if you receive a 7xxx series work unit somehow even with the beta flag on, the core will be updated. You would need to click finish unit and wait until that work unit finishes to copy the core 2.22 over again. If your client gets stuck, pause the GPU slots and delete the core. This will update the core so you can resume folding until the 7 series unit is finished.

Here is how you check which core version you are running:

Simply click a GPU slot, and then click log. Navigate to the beginning of a work unit starting and you will see this string:

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,885 Posts
what do we do with the FAHCore_15.exe after we get it?

·
Banned
12,731 Posts

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,885 Posts
Hmmm... OK So I started the client before I copied it over and I already have a 8057. should I stop it and copy it over now?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Silver View Post

Hmmm... OK So I started the client before I copied it over and I already have a 8057. should I stop it and copy it over now?
you can pause it, replace the core, and then continue folding.... The core folder is several folder deep, just make sure you copy it to both fermi\ and fermi\beta\ folders

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,885 Posts
OK Copied over. Now another question. To change the CPU Passkey to another passkey just highlight the cpu client, click config, scroll down click ad field 1 should say passkey and field 2 should be the passkey right?

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,885 Posts
and I cant get HFM to work for me at all

·
Banned
12,731 Posts
Quote:

OK Copied over. Now another question. To change the CPU Passkey to another passkey just highlight the cpu client, click config, scroll down click ad field 1 should say passkey and field 2 should be the passkey right?
Correct.

That way you can effectively have different passkeys on different Folding slots.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Quote:

Just add the flag for it. passkey - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

If you don't have the passkey flag then the slot will take the default passkey you entered in configuration.

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,885 Posts
OK got that all set up. Now about my HFM issue. It has not wanted to work for me in months.
Quote:
Do you have HFM running on the same rig that you're folding on?
Yes.

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,885 Posts
Hmm. tpf went from 4min to 6min on gpu once smp started.....

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Quote:

OK got that all set up. Now about my HFM issue. It has not wanted to work for me in months.
Yes.
Are you running the newest version of HFM?
Quote:

Hmm. tpf went from 4min to 6min on gpu once smp started.....
Did you reserve a cpu core for the GPU to use?

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey1514 View Post

Are you running the newest version of HFM?
Where do I get that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey1514 View Post

Did you reserve a cpu core for the GPU to use?
How do I do that?

Nevermind got it figured out.

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,885 Posts
Here is what I see when attempting to install HFM:

Quote:
D:\Folding\HFM\HFM Any CPU 0.9.1.595\HFM.exe

A device attached to the system is not functioning.
What the heck does that mean???

OK So I deleted the Any CPU version and got the x86 version. Here is what I got when attempting to install it:
Quote:
HFM.NET v0.9.1.595

Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

User preferences failed to initialize. The user.config file is likely corrupt. Start with the '/r' switch to reset the user preferences.

Exception Thrown:
System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Root element is missing. (C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Local\harlam357\HFM.exe_StrongName_4v0iy2eu3zb1cnuzi4z0q0lqj3vdta2b\0.9.1.595\user.config) ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
at System.Configuration.XmlUtil..ctor(Stream stream, String name, Boolean readToFirstElement, ConfigurationSchemaErrors schemaErrors)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.InitConfigFromFile()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Configuration.ConfigurationSchemaErrors.ThrowIfErrors(Boolean ignoreLocal)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfParseErrors(ConfigurationSchemaErrors schemaErrors)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfInitErrors()
at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.OnConfigRemoved(Object sender, InternalConfigEventArgs e)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.OnConfigRemoved(Object sender, InternalConfigEventArgs e)
at System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigRoot.OnConfigRemoved(InternalConfigEventArgs e)
at System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigRoot.RemoveConfigImpl(String configPath, BaseConfigurationRecord configRecord)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSectionRecursive(String configKey, Boolean getLkg, Boolean checkPermission, Boolean getRuntimeObject, Boolean requestIsHere, Object& result, Object& resultRuntimeObject)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSection(String configKey)
at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigSystem.GetSection(String sectionName)
at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)
at System.Configuration.ClientSettingsStore.ReadSettings(String sectionName, Boolean isUserScoped)
at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetPropertyValues(SettingsContext context, SettingsPropertyCollection properties)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFromProvider(SettingsProvider provider)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValueByName(String propertyName)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.GetPropertyValue(String propertyName)
at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
at HFM.Preferences.Properties.Settings.get_ApplicationVersion()
at HFM.Preferences.PreferenceSet.Upgrade()
at HFM.Preferences.PreferenceSet.Initialize()
at HFM.BootStrapper.Strap(String[] args)
OK I managed to get it all working now. I had to go to the bolded file location above and delete the harlam folder. Then I installed without an issue.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.