Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Not New to Overclock.net
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I remember a couple years ago there was a whirlwind of rumors that Nvidia was working on their own VR headset. With all of the hype around the Gamescom presentation, it got me thinking that maybe Nvidia will announce their own VR headset.

1) A couple of years ago at Siggraph they did a presentation on virtual reality - http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/siggraph/2017/video/sig1718-morgan-mcguire-virtual-frontier-computer-graphics.html

2) They recently registered some VR related trademarks. - https://uploadvr.com/nvidia-trademarks-reference-vr2-vr-and-more/

3) They have been working on optics research for years.

4) They are the first manufacturer to put out a consumer card with virtual link connector.

By pushing the limits of headset technology they could also drive demand for their new RTX graphics cards.

I just found a YouTube video from 2015 where Nvidia had a VR headset patent leak.

And it looks like Nvidia has a finished prototype using eMagin’s OLED display. 5) They showcased a VR headset yesterday at this year’s SID Display Week conference. The symposium was virtual and I didn’t get a chance to record their presentation, but I did take some stills. (See the attachments)

This is pretty exciting. No one is better positioned to take VR to the next level than Nvidia. And just by the looks of the quality components: there won’t be compromises. Emagin makes the absolute best micro displays. They are years ahead of their peers (Kopin) in brightness /nits, resolution (4K x 4K) plus the inherent qualities of OLED, and moreover, they use direct emission for maximum efficiency as well. Here’s a very interesting article on eMagin’s direct emission micro display IP if you’re interested in learning more:

https://www.oled-info.com/look-emagins-arvr-dpd-technology

This year’s SID conference required a $100 membership in order to see the presentation. I’m an investor so I tend to watch new developments intently. VR/AR and micro display near eye tech is taking over.

😎👍

Attachments

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,781 Posts
This is exciting. As a flight/driving sim enthusiast, I'm all in on VR!

·
Not New to Overclock.net
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is exciting. As a flight/driving sim enthusiast, I'm all in on VR!
Right? VR is the future. The immersiveness factor is unparalleled. I couldn’t attach all the stills. It only lets you attach one per message so I’m attaching the other one here. I’ll upload them on Imgur later:

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
I still find 3D superior and less cumbersome

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,781 Posts
I still find 3D superior and less cumbersome
I've had several of my friends and associates say the same until I strap them into an F14 Tomcat and launch them off a supercarrier in DCS. It's quite revolutionary and I've been a PC gamer since the beginning and have seen all all the trends come and go.

Please understand, you're not wrong; it IS a bit cumbersome, but the experience is very much worth it. Don't judge VR on Beat Saber alone, as it were.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,197 Posts
I'm sure they will make something great, but I am really satisfied with my "sub-par" Quest when it's connected to my pc for racing sims. It's hard enough to choose a VR headset based on the ecosystem it works in, I really don't want the headset to dictate my GPU options. However, I could be tempted if they do something like the quest that can be standalone or connected to a pc. Especially if they can utilize some sort of short range high speed wi-fi and the Nvidia gamestream like my shield.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts