Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
3DFX User
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya I know the 4xx series Fermi just came out but I am wondering when they will release their next series. 2-3 years? Sorry just not ready to fork out a grand and some more for a new psu for dual 480 GTXs to out run my 295. Yes a couple 470s could out run my 295 aswell but 15-20 frames isnt worth 500 bucks to me I guess. Waiting for that next big leap.

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
Probably a 28nm version of their current cards.

·
3DFX User
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess maybe we will have to wait for the new PCI slots. Will the 28nm have any better performance? Or will we just see better OCs from higher clocks and less heat.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You currently have a GTX 295? And you are thinking of upgrading already??? *Shesh*

I guess I'm not a top of the line guy, more a price per value person. So far no of the Fermi's have it... Actually I take that back because I think the GTS 450 is out, price per performance value I believe its good enough.

·
3DFX User
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I am not yet lol maybe if fermi was a big step forward but it wasnt.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Fermi is better if u want DX11.... if not stick with the 2 range if u have one.... lol

unless u r going 2 sli lol.....

really the whole Fermi range u really want to run with aftermarket cooling to get the best out of it

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk777th View Post
No I am not yet lol maybe if fermi was a big step forward but it wasnt.
Fermi was a huge step forward. Architecturally it's extremely well suited to the future direction of the DirectX API. It's the R600 of Nvidia. Remember the 2800xt? That was a pretty bad card (I had one and had fun with it though
). By the time the 4870 came out R600 really showed what it was capable of.

New architectures are designed with more features in anticipation of smaller processes. If you have a really complex part crammed in too small of an area, it performs badly (Intel's atom would kill a cut down Nehalem, but a giant atom would fare horribly against a full sized Nehalem.) It's rumored that Fermi actually had to cut a lot of features just to fit on 40nm.

As process size shrinks, dedicated features usually take up less and less room in comparison. Most of the extra room gained from die shrinks simply goes to more shader clusters, increasing overall efficiency. Expect 28nm Fermi to be a much more efficient card performance per watt wise. Fermi should never have hit 40nm, but Nvidia overestimated TSMC's 40nm process, and the alternative was to scale up the G200 core (G200 was a pretty inefficient architecture as well compared to G92).

·
3DFX User
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats pretty sad if Nvidia is going to have to fight ATI with dual cards to their singles lol.

Fermi was a jump ahead just didnt end up being as fast as people had speculated. Most people thought the 480 was going to run or come close to a 5970 ya we saw how that went lol!

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
One 480 does better tessellation than a 5970 still, but yeah, overall they're not as powerful as we had hoped. I think it's because the initial tests were done on the 512sp 480 that they thought it was going to compete.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If I remember right, nvidia rumored around to be releasing next gen cards within the next 6 months to go head to head with ati 6xxx series. Which might be the reason why a dual gpu 495 never came out.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm not not convinced it's the direction I'm going to go. I love my Nvidia cards, for 1920x1080 my GTS 250's in SLi do quite well... PhysX and CUDA support are awesome things to have... No DX11...sucks. owell.

I would have to shell out a lot of $$$ to dramatically improve the performance with the next line up.

I think I'm going to wait a while, might be a few years and check out the next Gen, or....

Go ATi. If they are still doing as well as they are now... I'm very impressed with ATi's Performance/price value.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mechtech View Post
Fermi was a huge step forward. Architecturally it's extremely well suited to the future direction of the DirectX API. It's the R600 of Nvidia. Remember the 2800xt? That was a pretty bad card (I had one and had fun with it though
). By the time the 4870 came out R600 really showed what it was capable of.

New architectures are designed with more features in anticipation of smaller processes. If you have a really complex part crammed in too small of an area, it performs badly (Intel's atom would kill a cut down Nehalem, but a giant atom would fare horribly against a full sized Nehalem.) It's rumored that Fermi actually had to cut a lot of features just to fit on 40nm.

As process size shrinks, dedicated features usually take up less and less room in comparison. Most of the extra room gained from die shrinks simply goes to more shader clusters, increasing overall efficiency. Expect 28nm Fermi to be a much more efficient card performance per watt wise. Fermi should never have hit 40nm, but Nvidia overestimated TSMC's 40nm process, and the alternative was to scale up the G200 core (G200 was a pretty inefficient architecture as well compared to G92).
In complete agreement. NVIDIA took a big risk with Fermi. They lost in the short run.

All NVIDIA has to do with their high-end Fermi is to re-orangize the clusters and improve yields to hit original predicted clock speed (1GHz+) and use the entire die.

Quote:

Thats pretty sad if Nvidia is going to have to fight ATI with dual cards to their singles lol.
NVIDIA beat ATI single GPU vs single GPU.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Quote:

Fermi was a jump ahead just didnt end up being as fast as people had speculated. Most people thought the 480 was going to run or come close to a 5970 ya we saw how that went lol!
Uh, the 480 and 470 beat the 5870 and 5850 respectively. What are you talking about? Anyone who was hoping for the GTX 480 to beat the 5970 was fooling themselves.

·
Banned
5,028 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdrider6890 View Post
You currently have a GTX 295? And you are thinking of upgrading already??? *Shesh*

I guess I'm not a top of the line guy, more a price per value person. So far no of the Fermi's have it... Actually I take that back because I think the GTS 450 is out, price per performance value I believe its good enough.
LIES
5770>GTS450.
GTX460 is the best bang/buck card out there. a 460 can match 470 power by OCing it to 950mhz (possible with MSi Hawk 460
)

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Quote:

um the 5970 is a dual card so your statement is wrong. the best single card from ATI is the 5870 which the 470 and 480 beat

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdrider6890 View Post
The GTX 460 is the best value in their lineup. I've seen several sales offering the 768mb version for under $150. That's a pretty good deal especially if you can snag a game bundled with it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts