Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I was perfectly happy with an ADATA SX8200 PRO 1TB so I decided to purchase another one, 512GB this time.

The drive was supposed to have Micron TLC Nand and Nanya DRAM. Which, my 1TB SX8200 PRO did indeed. However, the 512GB one has UNIC2 NAND and Samsung DRAM. It's a clear bait and switch to me with reviews showing the 512GB Model hitting the advertised 3500/2300 read/write speeds while the one I received hit just 3200/2200 at most with worse 4KiB Q8T8 but better 4KiB Q32T1 performance.

I've come across another post stating that their P34A80 came with UNIC2 chips as well. Not here to call out just Adata or Silicon Power for this bait and switch but try to find out what these Unic2 chips are and just how much of a performance/longevity impact these have in the long run.

Also, buyer beware for anyone who's looking at these SSDs.

SSD in question and Crystal Disk Mark run:

Attachments

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,778 Posts
what speeds does your not-different from advertised hit? hmm, bad comparison. 1TB gonna be faster, even if identical.

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
what speeds does your not-different from advertised hit? hmm, bad comparison. 1TB gonna be faster, even if identical.
The 512GB version is advertised to hit 3500/2300 on CrystalDiskMark but this UNIC2/Samsung revision is doing just 3200/2200. Here's a link to someone who reviewed the Micron TLC/Nanya DRAM version and they got close to what's advertised.

https://www.modders-inc.com/adata-x...e-ssd-best-performance-at-affordable-price/3/

Ps. I wasn't comparing the 512GB UNIC2/Samsung revision at all with the 1TB Micron/Nanya board in my original post. :)

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's always "up-to" speeds btw

Right. But as stated in my Original Post, I'm wondering more about the longevity and reliability of this revision from Micron/Nanya to UNIC2/Samsung.

Who even is UNIC2?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Who even is UNIC2?
They're a Chinese NAND manufacturer. More than that (of any use) I cannot find currently.

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're a Chinese NAND manufacturer. More than that (of any use) I cannot find currently.
Right. I have a half mind to return this and get a 1TB model with the correct chips.

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
Hi,
You got closer than i ever did testing three 8200 adata m.2's 2-512gb and 1-1tb none came iven remotely close to read/ write spec's testing on two systems.
All were returned to amazon.

Lots of testing on this thread this is towards the end but yeah just switched to samsung 970 evo and evo plus which both exceeded read/ writes automatically
https://www.overclock.net/forum/355...19-1tb-phison-e12-toshiba-7.html#post28052434

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's my sx8200 1TB with Micron/Nanya. You can probably see why I was satisfied with it.

Attachments

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
Hi,
For one it's empty
Put an os on it and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I only ever tested empty. Will try again later now that it's 50% loaded with gamedata.

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
Hi,
I only tested them as os drives.
1tb would of been a data disk but still tested with os to be fair.\

Fill in system spec's
What is your os on ??

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
Hi,
970 evo plus right out the gate so nothing wrong with system.

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll test when I get home in 7 hours. Anyways, hoping for others to post about receiving ssds with UNIC2 nand. See if we can get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
209 Posts
That's interesting but doesn't really settle me!
It should. If it was unic's own nand the 4k random reads would be on the thirties not sixties. Their nand is slow. Even samsung's and toshiba's nand are usually on the fifties. Intel's/micron's 64layer is the fastest

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
It should. If it was unic's own nand the 4k random reads would be on the thirties not sixties. Their nand is slow. Even samsung's and toshiba's nand are usually on the fifties. Intel's/micron's 64layer is the fastest
Nice tidbit there. So these are relabels of actual good nand? Now I'm curious about the p34a80, how that's affected by the unic2 revision.

Btw. Anything else in particular you want me to do with this SX8200 Pro with "UNIC2" chips? Wish I had one that had the original Micron or ADATA print to test against.

·
Registered
1 Posts
512GB

Background: I was perfectly happy with an ADATA SX8200 PRO 1TB so I decided to purchase another one, 512GB this time.

The drive was supposed to have Micron TLC Nand and Nanya DRAM. Which, my 1TB SX8200 PRO did indeed. However, the 512GB one has UNIC2 NAND and Samsung DRAM. It's a clear bait and switch to me with reviews showing the 512GB Model hitting the advertised 3500/2300 read/write speeds while the one I received hit just 3200/2200 at most with worse 4KiB Q8T8 but better 4KiB Q32T1 performance.

I've come across another post stating that their P34A80 came with UNIC2 chips as well. Not here to call out just Adata or Silicon Power for this bait and switch but try to find out what these Unic2 chips are and just how much of a performance/longevity impact these have in the long run.

Also, buyer beware for anyone who's looking at these SSDs.

SSD in question and Crystal Disk Mark run:
Hi, just wondering where you bought that 512GB SSD with UNIC2 NAND memory.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts