Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
System Specs:

Intel Core i7 8700K @5.1GHz - 1.36V
32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600MHz (16-18-18-36)
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Gaming ICX - 11GB
ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero Z370
Corsair HX-850i ATX PLUS Platinum
Gigabyte AORUS RGB 512GB M.2 NVMe (OS + Games)
Corsair Force GS 128GB SSD (Games Installation)
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD (Games Installation)
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (Games Installation)
Western Digital Black Caviar 1TB @7200RPM 64MB
Thermaltake Core P5 ATX - Wall Mount Chassis
Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit

My system has been stable and fine for the last 2 years without issue, until I recently upgraded to an NVME SSD for my OS.

I have had the NVME SSD working solidly for about 1 week. Until I noticed that I got a BSOD "Critical Process Died" (100 times). I have also recieved a "Unexpected Store Exception" BSOD (3-4 times).

I thought hmm, must just be a one off, I have not gotten a BSOD in close to 2 years. Then again, and again and again. I spent 2 weeks troubleshooting everything on my PC except the NVME, including:

- Updated Z370 BIOS to latest.
- Reinstalled Latest GPU Drivers (Using DDU to uninstall old in safe mode).
- Re-seated the Ram.
- Tested Ram with 2 x 8GB Corsair 3200MHz Ram.
- Re-configured SATA cable configuration on motherboard to not conflict with NVME SSD.
- Replaced SATA cables.
- Default XMP on RAM.
- Default OC and BIOS default (no difference).
- Clear CMOS
- Updated Windows to Latest Version
- Re-seated NVME SSD.
- Re-installed Windows.
- Disabled Fast Boot.
- Disabled newly installed applications from launching.

Out of curiosity, I dis-connected all drives to my motherboard except the NVME. Installed a game on it, played it. And viola !!! Within 1 minute the system would freeze, flicker, become unresponsive and then a BSOD will show for less than 2 seconds. This was repeatable, but ONLY happened when gaming.

I disconnected the NVME and re-installed Windows again on my 4 year old Corsair SSD. I have had no problems since going back to my original SSD for OS install.

What is odd is that the NVME appears to be functioning perfectly fine, its super fast, reads and writes are 3500 and 2100 MB/s. Drive health good (Brand new).

Do I have a failing memory controller on the NVME ? Is it warranted for an RMA given the above ?

·
Overclocker in training
14,314 Posts
Hi,
Does your board have two m.2 slots ?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
Does your board have two m.2 slots ?
Correct. M.2_1 which is the top slot running 4X as PCIE and bottom M.2_2 which runs at 2X

I was running it on the top slot at 4X PCIE. Motherboard and BIOS successfully detected drive, installed Windows cleanly. Worked fine for 1 week or so. Then total failure. Re-installed Windows 4 times to verify if I had done something wrong.

Re-installed back to old SSD, working perfectly with no BSOD while gaming.

·
Overclocker in training
14,314 Posts
Hi,
So you tried it in both ports same thing happened regardless of slower speed ?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
So you tried it in both ports same thing happened regardless of slower speed ?
I have not tried it in the bottom port or running it at 2X. I figured there is no reason, because I have not paid for a product to run at lower speeds. My GPU is also blocking lower M.2 slot. Would be difficult to install the M.2 and could involve entire custom water-cooling loop disassembly.

·
Overclocker in training
14,314 Posts
Hi,
I was just asking to be clear probably one of the first questions goga is likely to ask on rma

Have you checked your bios options for this m.2 slot and see if using pch mode or pci-e mode makes any difference ?

·
Banned
1,137 Posts
Try upgrading ssd firmware and/or irst drivers. Btw, using an nvme does put more stress on your lanes. Lanes are powered by system agent if I recall correctly, You can try bumping up your system agent voltage. Also, how hot is the drive getting?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,
I was just asking to be clear probably one of the first questions goga is likely to ask on rma

Have you checked your bios options for this m.2 slot and see if using pch mode or pci-e mode makes any difference ?
No Firmware updates available for my NVMe M.2 SSD.

Just managed to squeeze my NVME on the bottom M.2 slot. Launched a game, went to the toilet, came back and BSOD happened. (Running at 4X bottom slot).

The only modes I have available are PCIE and SATA for the NVME.

·
Overclocker in training
14,314 Posts
Did you try it in both slots? That could determine if it's the drive or the mainboard.
Hi,
I assume you tried both modes and same results ?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Overclocker in training
14,314 Posts
Testing as we speak. Ill inform you shortly.
Sata would be pch mode
You might loose 1 or 2 sata ports using this mode ?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sata would be pch mode
You might loose 1 or 2 sata ports using this mode ?
Correct. I lose 2 out of the 6 SATA ports. However, it did not take long to get the same BSOD again.

It does not matter if I use M.2 slot #1 or #2. Neither does X2 OR X4 make a difference. And SATA nor PCIE helps resolve the issue.

Attachments

·
The last VRM burner
2,589 Posts
Have you tried disabling lightning on your disk?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Overclocker in training
14,314 Posts
Hi,
Weird bsod
Critical process died :/
You'd think if the m.2 failed you'd get no bsod at all and just flat out shut down like power shutoff :/

Think the only real test is with another m.2 ssd.

·
The last VRM burner
2,589 Posts
Lighting*, fking phone knew better... Disks RGB illumination.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi,
Weird bsod
Critical process died :/
You'd think if the m.2 failed you'd get no bsod at all and just flat out shut down like power shutoff :/

Think the only real test is with another m.2 ssd.
Yes its odd. I can definitely verify the system was working for a solid 1 week no problem when gaming. Functioning 100% fine. But this did not last long.

And yes, another M.2 NVMe SSD will be needed. But do I RMA this one ? I literally have it sitting on my table because I cannot use it at all.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lighting*, fking phone knew better... Disks RGB illumination.
Yeah it has RGB Lighting on it. Haven't downloaded GIGABYTE's utility software to disable it as I cant be bothered running bloat on my PC.

FYI, I have a 140mm fan blowing on my NVME. In the hot summer day here in Australia, drive idles mid 30's C and hits 45C when browsing/gaming etc. Temps are well and truly in check if that's what you were wondering.

·
Overclocker in training
14,314 Posts
Yes its odd. I can definitely verify the system was working for a solid 1 week no problem when gaming. Functioning 100% fine. But this did not last long.

And yes, another M.2 NVMe SSD will be needed. But do I RMA this one ? I literally have it sitting on my table because I cannot use it at all.
Hi,
I'd say if another m.2 works the other should be rma'ed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts