Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The House of Representatives approved a measure on Friday that would prohibit the Federal Communications Commission from regulating how Internet service providers manage their broadband networks, potentially overturning a central initiative of the F.C.C. chairman, Julius Genachowski.

More at... (SOURCE)

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
This was a triumph
I'm making a note here;
"Huge success!"
It's hard for me to overstate
My satisfaction

Now hopefully the FCC will start looking at how much bandwidth is actually being provided by these turd ISPs compared to what the customers are paying for.

I have a Time Warner "up to 15 MBPS" dealy. I speedtested it last night with a max download rate of 1.2mbps. This wasnt at a peak hour when everyone was on either, it was 1:00am. The best part is, they have a monopoly here so unless I want to do something illegal I'm stuck with these idiots.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Net neutrality is good, and the FCC is good, but ISPs and their lobbyists in congress is what did this. (maybe not)

But this is bad for us.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bgtrance
View Post

Great Success
If this went through it would've been the start of something much worse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shredicus
View Post

This was a triumph
I'm making a note here;
"Huge success!"
It's hard for me to overstate
My satisfaction

Now hopefully the FCC will start looking at how much bandwidth is actually being provided by these turd ISPs compared to what the customers are paying for.

I have a Time Warner "up to 15 MBPS" dealy. I speedtested it last night with a max download rate of 1.2mbps. This wasnt at a peak hour when everyone was on either, it was 1:00am. The best part is, they have a monopoly here so unless I want to do something illegal I'm stuck with these idiots.

this is bad.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kora04
View Post

Net neutrality is good, and the FCC is good, but ISPs and their lobbyists in congress is what did this. (maybe not)

But this is bad for us.

Yea, I don't see why the people above us are so excited. Seems like a bad thing it got passed to me.

·
Registered
912 Posts
yea i was confused at first too. this is bad.

·
Irregular
915 Posts
I guess ATT can keep blocking me out of their competitors websites then, and blocking my gaming
. I thought they had already passed something on net neutrality.

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,934 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
The way I see it is, if the governments and corporations can make more money of the internet than they already do, they will, if it means end users or the small guy with his own business on the net are worse off, they won't care, they are just going to go ahead and do it.

Tiered Internet in the UK?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,934 Posts
The article I posted proves that fighting for Net Neutrality is a mistake.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thank the gods... Net neutrality would open up a pandora's box of FCC internet regulation. This is a great victory for American personal liberty.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,934 Posts
Amen, r3v3r3nd!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

The article I posted proves that fighting for Net Neutrality is a mistake.

That article proves nothing.. it is an opinion piece (and a short sited one imo).

It argues that because regulation of isps is a response to a hypothetical situation it shouldn't be done. I would counter by saying that if isps don't try to move to tiered internet than the regulation won't affect them.... so what's the harm?

One of the main points in link you posted was that isps are already "severely regulated" by the consumer. I'm not sure how anyone can argue that considering what a monopoly/duopoly we have in the US.

It also argues that because ISPs have spent "billions" we should be grateful for the internet and that 45 a month is a good deal. I don't really buy being grateful to companies who have HUGE profit margins and hold back internet speeds. I am supposed to feel grateful that ISPs have made large investments? They have made even larger profits. There is a reason that the US is falling behind the rest of the world internet wise, and it's not too much regulation.

Anyway, my question still stands. If ISPs have no intention of creating a tiered internet, than why does this regulation bother anyone? It wouldn't affect them in that case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by r3v3r3nd
View Post

Thank the gods... Net neutrality would open up a pandora's box of FCC internet regulation. This is a great victory for American personal liberty.

Personal liberty? Since when are ISPs people? I fail to see how regulating ISPs amounts to oppression personal freedom. Especially given that the nature of the FCC regulation is to regulate what ISPs are allowed to regulate. (The FCC effectively wants to regulate regulation by ISPs). The internet is a stratigic national resource, vital to the nation's success in the 21 century. Why shouldn't it be protected by regulation again?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3v3r3nd
View Post

Last time I read anything about net neutrality it said that FCC was fighting the ISPs so ISPs won't regulate the internet like they want.

Quote:

WASHINGTON â€" A federal appeals court ruled on Tuesday that regulators had limited power over Web traffic under current law. The decision will allow Internet service companies to block or slow specific sites and charge video sites like YouTube to deliver their content faster to users.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/07/technology/07net.html

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.