Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
If you rely on Microsoft’s Internet Explorer’s privacy settings to control cookies on your computer, you may want to rethink that strategy.

Large numbers of Web sites, including giants like Facebook, appear to be using a loophole that circumvents I.E.’s ability to block cookies, according to researchers at CyLab at the Carnegie Mellon University School of Engineering.
Source

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enfluenza
View Post

lol
another reason why every1 uses opera/chrome/FF

IE=epic fail browser

except the others don't claim to block anything beyond your locally stored data upon exit.

At least the feature exists

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enfluenza
View Post

lol
another reason why every1 uses opera/chrome/FF

IE=epic fail browser

chrome has an even bigger loop whole on privacy settings. Even their secure settings gives cookie info to google, and likewise, opens you up.

(not that google is doing anything wrong, it just gives you another loop hole that can be easily worked around).

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domino
View Post

chrome has an even bigger loop whole on privacy settings. Even their secure settings gives cookie info to google, and likewise, opens you up.

(not that google is doing anything wrong, it just gives you another loop hole that can be easily worked around).

how is it a bigger loop hole if it is only google that can access it? this loophole in IE, seems like everyone and their brother can access it and use it to their advantageous.

if you are refering to google chrome's "usage stat" feature that you send info back to google for your browsing habits, you can disable that, or you can choose chromium which is the open source version of chrome.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by transhour
View Post

how is it a bigger loop hole if it is only google that can access it? this loophole in IE, seems like everyone and their brother can access it and use it to their advantageous.

if you are refering to google chrome's "usage stat" feature that you send info back to google for your browsing habits, you can disable that, or you can choose chromium which is the open source version of chrome.

SRWare ironkey is chrome without all the google usage stat crap. Chromeplus has adblock+ already installed. Chromes got many many forms of itself right now

OT: Biggest loophole ever would be to try to break it
You fix the hole, it still will record your cookies and then fix again, it still records.

·
Banned
5,028 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domino
View Post

well my main browser is opera, so im safe

right?

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thedark1337
View Post

SRWare ironkey is chrome without all the google usage stat crap. Chromeplus has adblock+ already installed. Chromes got many many forms of itself right now

You fix the hole, it still will record your cookies and then fix again, it still records.

as far as i know chromium is free of the "google" changes, like usage stats.

i'm not a 100% sure on the whole cookie thing, i will have to look into it.

it appears sware iron is for windows only atm...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thedark1337
View Post

Everytime someone mentions SRWare Iron, I post this:

IRON IS A SCAM

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimi
View Post

Everytime someone mentions SRWare Iron, I post this:

IRON IS A SCAM

lol so it only removes what is already user configurable LOL, that is rich.

i'll stick with chromium

·
Fantastic Mr Fox
5,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SyncMaster753
View Post

except the others don't claim to block anything beyond your locally stored data upon exit.

Have you ever used Firefox? You can block 3rd party or all cookies quite easily. I expect the other major browsers do the same thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SyncMaster753
View Post

At least the feature exists

Features that don't work might as well not exist.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
im just gonna stick to Chrome +, Ghostery, WOT, and Adblock. Btw Ghostery blocks every thing that trys to take statistics like what you visited or searched for advertisements. WOT is web of trust, a user database that helps warn people of dangerous sites

·
Registered
760 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PureLogic
View Post

another blow to IE's struggling reputation

What rep? Ms has been trying to play catch up for years.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,293 Posts
This doesn't surprise me in the slightest. XD Your standard web browser protection is pathetic at best.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts