Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Grid+ V2 and i am looking for a fan that will work at 10% speed through 100% i heard some fans will only work at 50% and up because of the start voltage. Can anyone recommend a fan that works for a case fan. Also that is black or white?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
You didn't mention whether you want a 120 or 140 case fans.

A good possibility is the new 24V Noctuas. Check out the review by @ehume at overclockers here. He tested the 120 and 140 models running at 12V and they responded down to 14% - the 120mm went down to 123rpm! With no clicking or unruly motor noises.

For 120mm fans, I really like the Darkside PWM GT. It goes very low too, 15%(ish) at 537rpm.

Thermalbench review. While the GT is famous as a rad fan, they make great case fans since the flow-to-noise ratio is outstanding.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Uh-oh...is that GTs can't PWM or the desired case fans can't be PWM? I'm confused. Which doesn't take too much these days.
biggrin.gif

But, what you mean is that the GRID is only a voltage controller, not a PWM controller. Well....that's no fun.

Could still use the PWM fans as suggested - they still run great on voltage control, but they won't spin as slowly as in PWM mode. Altho the Noctua A14FLX will start at pretty low voltages...but you don't want chocolate and cream...so there's that.

They whole series of voltage GTs are available from Coolerguys - the 1450 & 1850rpm GTs would be good options. But, they're grey blades with a black frame.

There's also the Scythe KamaFlow series, in black. They start up at pretty low voltages, not quite the match for the SFLEX series, but still very good fans.

Also consider the Be!Quiet voltage models...they're black, very quiet, just not the best-in-class airflow. Also there's the Nexus 120s (rebranded Yate Loons in black 'n white) - they're very good too.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They can not be PWM per NZXT the connector will fit but since it will only work with voltage any PWM fan will need 50% or more to start anything below 50% will cause fans to go to 0% and 100% every 2 seconds.

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMatzelle60 View Post

They can not be PWM per NZXT the connector will fit but since it will only work with voltage any PWM fan will need 50% or more to start anything below 50% will cause fans to go to 0% and 100% every 2 seconds.
Maybe I'm being dense, but why is this "since it will only work with voltage any PWM fan will need 50% or more to start anything below 50% will cause fans to go to 0% and 100% every 2 seconds" all about?

A PWM fan on 3-pin circuitry is just a 3-pin fan on variable voltage control. Without a 4th pin PWM control and witht 2nd pin being variable voltage from header does not know it has anything but a 3-pin fan plugged into it .. just normal 3-pin variable voltage function. If your Nzxt hub is pulsing the power it should be doing it on whatever fan is plugged into that header .. unless it has something to do with the fan's load rating. Like fan is drawing a higher amp load then Grid can supply.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Maybe I'm being dense, but why is this "since it will only work with voltage any PWM fan will need 50% or more to start anything below 50% will cause fans to go to 0% and 100% every 2 seconds" all about?

A PWM fan on 3-pin circuitry is just a 3-pin fan on variable voltage control. Without a 4th pin PWM control and witht 2nd pin being variable voltage from header does not know it has anything but a 3-pin fan plugged into it .. just normal 3-pin variable voltage function. If your Nzxt hub is pulsing the power it should be doing it on whatever fan is plugged into that header .. unless it has something to do with the fan's load rating. Like fan is drawing a higher amp load then Grid can supply.
You aren't being dense.

I'm waiting for the part where we get to "the 1300rpm needs to run at 130rpm" on voltage control for it to be 10%.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts