Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I know that this isn't a cooler friendly case but I still wanted your opinion on the best configuration in terms of airflow.

I currently have my radiator mounted in the front of the case as push-pull, with 3 fans set up as exhaust on the top and 1 in the rear as exhaust. My GTX 980Ti exhausts from the rear, not the top, so the only hot air rising would be from the CPU/RAM. That being said, does it make sense to flip the 3 top fans as intake and only have 1 exhaust in the rear? Since the push-pull fans are blowing through the rad, the system is bringing in warmer air than if it was just front in take.

I understand that heat rises, but if the air is pushing in through the front and pushing down through the top, it's going to force all the air out through the rear? Or am I completely off here?

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
CLC on top for exhaust with two fans, three fans intake. This will allow for positive pressure and you won't be dumping heat into the chassis.

While hot air does rise when left to its own accord, with fans pushing air in a small space heat goes where it's pushed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by claes View Post

CLC on top for exhaust with two fans, three fans intake. This will allow for positive pressure and you won't be dumping heat into the chassis.

While hot air does rise when left to its own accord, with fans pushing air in a small space heat goes where it's pushed.
CLC?

Are you saying I should mount the radiator at the top? If I do that, I have to get rid of push/pull config. How much better temps should I expect this way?

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Yes, Closed Loop Cooler at the top so that the heat is exhausted.

Switching from push/pull to just push should net a 1-3* loss on your CPU, but switching from intaking hot air to intaking cool air should net a significant decrease for your GPU and other components (since you won't be blowing hot air at them).

See another user today
thumb.gif

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
FIrst of all, are you getting concerning temps?

Second, there is so much misinformation in that posted link it's not even funny. The two main users posting are legends in thier own air cooling minds and do hardly any deep research on their own suggestions or listen to anyone elses experience.

Imo, The H440 does not have the best air intake in the front, so yes as mentioned above move the rad to the top and set it as intake. Front fans should be intake and rear fan exhaust. This will give ambient air over the rad which should give you best rad performance. It will also give positive pressure to push all the warm air through any crack or crevice of the case. People get way to carried away with air over the mobo or VRM temps. Most people don't even know what thier VRM temps are and they get all worked up over it.

If your not experiencing stability issues with your hardware and your main components are getting decent temps then it's probably no reason to worry

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Your second argument is lacking logic my friend, never mind the 14* GPU drop
rolleyes.gif

That said, I might agree with intake from the roof but I would worry that the lonely exhaust fan would have a hard time maintaining an equilibrium as the chassis heats up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts