Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dafuq is up with the NZXT H440 New Edition so-called PWM fan hub?! On closer look (at published vids), turns out this thing only supports 3-pin connectors! So, why, on God's green earth, call it a PWM hub then?! Ordered 6 new PWM fans for it, and now it doesn't even ^&*(*&^^&* support those!

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
subbed

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I would guess you are looking at some manufacturers attempt to control 3 pin fans with a mobo PWM signal. There is probably somewhere on the device to connect the PWM cable from mobo.

http://support.nzxt.com/hc/en-us/articles/202798630-What-is-this-device-on-the-rear-of-the-motherboard-tray-

From NZXT manual:The NZXT PWM fan hub supports pulse width modulation (PWM) control via the motherboard CPU_FAN header and
can power up to 8 fans with a combined maximum output of 30 watts by external 12V 4-pin Molex power.
For full PWM support, please connect the PWM cable from the hub to the "CPU_FAN" or "CPU_OPT" port on the
motherboard. If no PWM signal is provided, the connected fans will spin at full speed. The white pin header located
on the PWM fan hub is reserved for connecting the CPU cooler. If necessary, please use the included extension
cable to connect the CPU cooler to the hub. When connecting the fan hub to the CPU_OPT port on the
motherboard, please connect a single fan to the white header for PWM functions to work properly. To provide power
to the fan hub and the connected fans, connect the attached Molex connector to the power supply.
NOTE: Not all 4-pin fan ports on the motherboard support true PWM. Please consult the motherboard
manufacturer's documentation for PWM specication

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by essanbee View Post

I would guess you are looking at some manufacturers attempt to control 3 pin fans with a mobo PWM signal. There is probably somewhere on the device to connect the PWM cable from mobo.

http://support.nzxt.com/hc/en-us/articles/202798630-What-is-this-device-on-the-rear-of-the-motherboard-tray-

From NZXT manual:The NZXT PWM fan hub supports pulse width modulation (PWM) control via the motherboard CPU_FAN header and
can power up to 8 fans with a combined maximum output of 30 watts by external 12V 4-pin Molex power.
For full PWM support, please connect the PWM cable from the hub to the "CPU_FAN" or "CPU_OPT" port on the
motherboard. If no PWM signal is provided, the connected fans will spin at full speed. The white pin header located
on the PWM fan hub is reserved for connecting the CPU cooler. If necessary, please use the included extension
cable to connect the CPU cooler to the hub. When connecting the fan hub to the CPU_OPT port on the
motherboard, please connect a single fan to the white header for PWM functions to work properly. To provide power
to the fan hub and the connected fans, connect the attached Molex connector to the power supply.
NOTE: Not all 4-pin fan ports on the motherboard support true PWM. Please consult the motherboard
manufacturer's documentation for PWM specication
Thanks for your detailed reply!
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by essanbee View Post

Your welcome, I hope you figure it all out. You might want to take a look at our friends in this club:
They probably have a deeper knowledge of this case...
thumb.gif

http://www.overclock.net/t/1430677/the-nzxt-h-series-club-h630-h440-h230/0_50
Thanks. I didn't even know the H-series NZXT cases had their own thread.
smile.gif

Meanwhile, I got some other feedback:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/h440-new-edition-so-called-pwm-fan-hub-doesnt-suppport-pwm.222657/#post-3461914

Looks like I'll just be removing that awkward(ly positioned) hub altogether.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts