Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question regarding these psu's.

The 850 was recommended by jonnyguru cause it uses the Kingwin Lazer Gold platform at a resonable wattage of 850....vs i believe the 1000w kingwin. This makes it achieve its numbers at relative ease.

Now the nzxt hale 90 1000w....is this the same exact psu as the 850 but they just slapped a 1000w sticker on it...hence making the EXACT mistake the kingwin lazer gold 1000w made but overspecing on power?

Or is there changes in the 1000w...i struggle to find a review and wish he had done it on the 1000w instead of the 850.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by fssbzz View Post
very good base JG review's
lol i cant stop laughing when i see your avatar.
lol :p

hide your kids.

now i just have to find this the cheapest price.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump new question at OP

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Same base unit, both are superflower. Average performance, decent price.

Not really worth mentioning or buying when you can get better Silver cert psu's which are LESS THEN 3% LESS EFFICIENT. I can't stress that enough, efficiency especially this small of a difference makes no difference when the performance is lacking.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackHoleSon View Post
So what you are saying is the Hale90 850w and 1000w are the exact same supply?
The whole Hale90 & Kingwin Lazer Gold series are based on the Super Flower GoldenGreen platform.

That WHOLE platform scales from 400 to 1000w.

Kingwin & NZXT over-spec'd nothing as both of their 1000w units can output 1000w. And stay within ATX Specifications.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But the kingwin lazer 1000w didnt do as great as the nzxt 850...so my question is it the EXACT same power supply from 850 & 1000w?

bascially
IS the nzxt 1000w the kingwin lazer 1000w?

because the kingwin lazer 1000w is the nzxt 850w

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
I already answered that part.

They're not the EXACT same unit. But they are both based on the Gold Green platform. And performance between the 1000w's from both should be around the same.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kk then i'm going for the 850 because whats it rated at it performs very well.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryman546 View Post
kk then i'm going for the 850 because whats it rated at it performs very well.

thanks.
The 1000w's are rated at 1000w and perform well at 1000w as well.....

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WTHbot View Post
Same base unit, both are superflower. Average performance, decent price.
I don't know about the 1kW version, but I'd say the 850W version is much better than merely ''average''.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GameBoy View Post
I don't know about the 1kW version, but I'd say the 850W version is much better than merely ''average''.
The 1Kw is good performance.
The 850w is Great performance.
And the 550/650's should be excellent in terms of performance.

Though the main difference between all of them (going off reviews) is the ripple suppression. The higher the wattage the looser it gets; but it's still well below spec.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
The 1Kw is good performance.
The 850w is Great performance.
And the 550/650's should be excellent in terms of performance.

Though the main difference between all of them (going off reviews) is the ripple suppression. The higher the wattage the looser it gets; but it's still well below spec.
Is there a review on the 1kW yet? I would imagine it'd still be able to keep good number on the ripple supression, however I'm not so sure about the voltage regulation.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Quote:

Is there a review on the 1kW yet? I would imagine it'd still be able to keep good number on the ripple supression, however I'm not so sure about the voltage regulation.
We've already explained this, its the same PSU as the Kingwin Ultra Lazer Gold 1000w and we have a review on that so we know that it's okay on everything.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Quote:

We've already explained this, its the same PSU as the Ultra Lazer Gold 1000w and we have a review on that so we know that it's okay on everything.
Didn't read the thread properly, sorry.

·
The Fabricat0r
5,933 Posts
If you really want to know how the 850W and 1000W differ, you can compare the parts used. They are based on the same design and have identical layouts, but they do differ in a few ways. The primary switching transistors and the transistors used in the PFC stage have higher current capabilities in the 1000W model. Also, the MOSFETs used on the secondary for synchronous rectification of the 12V are the same part, but the 1000W uses ten of them and the 850W only has six. The NZXT version also has all Nippon Chemi-con caps while the Kingwin uses cheaper CapXon caps for some of the secondary filtering which may explain why the 1000W version is worse when it comes to ripple suppression.

Overall it's hard to fault the 1000W for doing slightly worse than the 850W just because the same design is asking to do more. Considering the results I would guess the 1000W model is at the limits of what that design can handle while the 850W is still pretty comfortable with the loads.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

The Gold Green platform is good with Voltage Regulation; that's actually a strong suit of it.

Quote:

We've already explained this, its the same PSU as the Ultra Lazer Gold 1000w and we have a review on that so we know that it's okay on everything.
Kingwin, not Ultra.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shinji2k View Post
If you really want to know how the 850W and 1000W differ, you can compare the parts used. They are based on the same design and have identical layouts, but they do differ in a few ways. The primary switching transistors and the transistors used in the PFC stage have higher current capabilities in the 1000W model. Also, the MOSFETs used on the secondary for synchronous rectification of the 12V are the same part, but the 1000W uses ten of them and the 850W only has six. The NZXT version also has all Nippon Chemi-con caps while the Kingwin uses cheaper CapXon caps for some of the secondary filtering which may explain why the 1000W version is worse when it comes to ripple suppression.

Overall it's hard to fault the 1000W for doing slightly worse than the 850W just because the same design is asking to do more. Considering the results I would guess the 1000W model is at the limits of what that design can handle while the 850W is still pretty comfortable with the loads.
Read what Shinji says. I think the NZXT most likely will be better just from the slightly better caps and such.

Worlds better? NO most likely not. Though I think more units pulled from the line will be better than Kingwins.

Either way; they're both good units.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuraNova View Post
Even after my thread asking about them, I did some more research and even looking at this thread, I'm thinking of getting a 650W model myself. So you can run and tell that, homeboy.
The 650w model is solid.

The only "Bad" thing about NZXT's whole line is the 550w model is NON-Modular. Unlike Kingwin & the stock Superflower design.

·
Goddess of Misfortune
3,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
The 650w model is solid.

The only "Bad" thing about NZXT's whole line is the 550w model is NON-Modular. Unlike Kingwin & the stock Superflower design.
It only just adds to the challenge of wire management.

Yeah, I did read up that the "lower powered" models were really good. Hence, my decision to go for one. I am waiting for a good price on them, though. They are a bit much.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts