Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't bought one yet, but I'm looking to get an NZXT phantom 410. However I really would need to remove it's stock fan controller and replace it with an auto/manual button and put some individual fan sliders in the front bay. With the remaining space I'd like to add a lights on off button, and any other buttons I can think of and fit in the space when I come to making it. (I like buttons)

How would I go about making buttons that match the stock ones? and how would I go about switching between a manual fan controller and an automatic one?.

I do not have access to (decent) CNC machines.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Shouldn't be too hard to fill in the openings in the little black panel where the slide switches are after disassembling it and taking out the controller board. I don't have a photo showing it opened up, but the black piece screws down on the metal top of the case and sticks up through a hole in the top plastic of the case. You could either plastic weld/solvent bond pieces into the slots, or back it with something and fill with Bondo. Then sand back down level and repaint black. Drill as needed for new switch/button.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Gonna require a lot of hacking at that plastic part to fit some new buttons in there, and build a couple pieces to use as the button faces. What kind of tools do you have access to? Any experience working with plastic and/or Bondo?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bondo_(putty)

This is your fan controller?

Looks like:
1. remove fan controller electronics/slide switch
2. cut out entire recessed area where the switch was at
3. Cut a piece of black 1/8" acrylic to fit into the opening
4. cut a slightly larger piece of 1/16" acrylic to form a lip on the back side of the button to keep it from going through the opening
5. determine a way to mount a CherryMX or some other keyboard key or button under the new switch face

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK looks like I can handle that, so initiate stage two: acquire funds.

Oh btw I'm probably going to be looking to install 2 or 3 buttons in that space: Fans auto/manual; lights on/off; and one other (maybe desk lights on/off. That'd require running a separate external power supply to the back of the machine, routing it to a lighting controller, and probably some more tinkering on top of that.)

So the question remains how'd I switch my fans between an automatic fan controller (I think they're called t-balancers) and a front panel slider based one (I'm quite happy to rewire either device).

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Pull the wires off the existing controller and plug them into the new one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no that's not what I mean. I want to hook up a t-balancer (something like the alpha cool heatmaster II) and a manual fan controller to the same set of fans, and have a button to switch witch controller has control.

Obviously you can't just wire the controllers in parallel as whichever controller is driving a higher voltage is the one that the fan will operate with at that time.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
You'll need to use some diodes to control current flow direction, and switch the ground between the controller and balancer that goes to the fans.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ultimately both devices have have the same grounding point. Won't that mean that with both live lines always open, current would still flow through both contollers? Is it feasible to switch the live feeds off between the controllers, and the PSU?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
That would be the reason to use the diodes...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts