Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have the A8N32 mobo. My CPU is the Athlon 64 FX-57. The Corsair xms3500ll pro memory im using is advertised at 433mhz with 2,3,2,6 timings. However it defaults to 400mhz. So I increased the memory frequency to 216mhz. Likewise, I increased the CPU FSB to 216 mhz. I lowered the CPU multiplier to 13 to bring the CPU back to its stock speed of 2.8ghz. The machine would not boot to windows...it says "overclock failed." When I go into BIOS I notice that the CPU clock is not equal to the fsb frequency x the multiplier, its about 200 mhz lower than it should be. I tried a lower multiplier and got the same result, lower weird clock numbers. I then tried a higher multiplier, 13.5. This worked, the system is stable and the fsb frequency x the multiplier arithmetic works out perfectly. The thing is that now my CPU is overclocked 116mhz. the system is stable but I want to know why I cannot use the correct multiplier (13) to bring the cpu to its stock speed. I am new to overclocking. Am I doing something wrong?

thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Hi and welcome the to forum.
Please add you sys specs in to your profile via the USER CP @ top of page

Knowing all you system will help us further help you

Set your RAM to DDR400 specs. By setting to 433 the speed is increased as the HTT of the CPU is increased and it may not be capable OCed to that level @ default vdimm (RAM voltage) and default timings.

HI and WELCOME to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I did not realize that the HTT frequency controlled the memory. I thought I had to change the memory frequency itself in addition to changing the cpu frequency.

I set the memory settings to default, changed the cpu multiplier to 13, and set the fsb frequency to 217. This effectively overclocked my memory to 433mhz yet left my cpu frequency at 2800mhz. exactly what I wanted to do.

thanks again.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hi!

Did You had any problem with your video card while overclocking the A8n32. I'm asking because I done all the same step you have done and my PCI-E card does'nt work...And it was working perfectly before I overclock...?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts