Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i am using windbond hardware doctor which came bundled with my m/b and getting readings at idle of system 35 cpu 41 pwm 33. first of all reading the forums this seems high is the system reading my actual case temp?.
is this windbond a reliable source or do u know of any other system that i can use besides the bios one? i did an o/c of just 205 fsb yesterday, played halo for 20 mins and my cpu temp was 53.5 which i thought was very high for such a small o/c. now i only have 1x120mm fan at the rear of my case which is extracting but have the side of my case off and seriously it does not feel hot in there at any place. the air coming out of my rear fan is actualy cold compared to the warm air coming out of my power supply.
i just looked at my bios temps and they are reading sys 34 cpu 45/46 pwm 35. wow thats hot for idle temp of cpu is it not? i just have intel stock hsf. is the bios reading accurate?

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alycat

hi guys i am using windbond hardware doctor which came bundled with my m/b and getting readings at idle of system 35 cpu 41 pwm 33. first of all reading the forums this seems high is the system reading my actual case temp?.
is this windbond a reliable source or do u know of any other system that i can use besides the bios one? i did an o/c of just 205 fsb yesterday, played halo for 20 mins and my cpu temp was 53.5 which i thought was very high for such a small o/c. now i only have 1x120mm fan at the rear of my case which is extracting but have the side of my case off and seriously it does not feel hot in there at any place. the air coming out of my rear fan is actualy cold compared to the warm air coming out of my power supply.
i just looked at my bios temps and they are reading sys 34 cpu 45/46 pwm 35. wow thats hot for idle temp of cpu is it not? i just have intel stock hsf. is the bios reading accurate?

With a mild OC and stock HSF, those temps seem perfectly normal. Seriously consider upgrading...you won't get anywhere with stock heatsink. Winbond usually is pretty accurate. You said you've only got one fan...even though its a 120, consider installing something resembling an intake. You dont want to run your computer with the side off forever do you?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421

With a mild OC and stock HSF, those temps seem perfectly normal. Seriously consider upgrading...you won't get anywhere with stock heatsink. Winbond usually is pretty accurate. You said you've only got one fan...even though its a 120, consider installing something resembling an intake. You dont want to run your computer with the side off forever do you?

thxs for input i have an antec case which has a mounting for upto a 120mm on the front of case, which i think i should installl. do u think a after market hsf would make a good diff in temps? and is my bos temp correct at 45/46 on idle? whats a good hsf to get?

·
Registered
996 Posts
an aftermarket heatsink definately will decrease temps. how much are you willing to spend? the best heatsink out is probably the xp-120.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Quote:

thxs for input i have an antec case which has a mounting for upto a 120mm on the front of case, which i think i should installl. do u think a after market hsf would make a good diff in temps? and is my bos temp correct at 45/46 on idle? whats a good hsf to get?

It would seem that your bios is pretty accurate..keep in mind BIOS can be plus or minus 2-3 degrees, sometimes 10!! LOL

but the 45/46 seems right on.

Like they said, the Thermalright XP120 is a great heatsink...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421

It would seem that your bios is pretty accurate..keep in mind BIOS can be plus or minus 2-3 degrees, sometimes 10!! LOL

but the 45/46 seems right on.

Like they said, the Thermalright XP120 is a great heatsink...

reading a few links and reviews isn`t it a large h/s and do u think it would fit onto my abit is7 m/b if not it has a smaller version doe it not?the xp90 i think, i c they come without a fan. most fans fit them? and could someone please tell me if the system temp is the actual temp of your case????

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Quote:

reading a few links and reviews isn`t it a large h/s and do u think it would fit onto my abit is7 m/b if not it has a smaller version doe it not?the xp90 i think, i c they come without a fan. most fans fit them? and could someone please tell me if the system temp is the actual temp of your case????

The XP120 is large, but not huge. And yes, according to thermalrights compatability list, it will fit your IS7.

They do not come with fans, but paired with the right fan, and it is the best aircooling you can buy (for the most part)

The XP90 is also an excellent performer, but same boat, it will fit your board, but needs a fan.

The system temp is typically an on-motherboard sensor, not necessarily case temp, you'll need a temp probe to monitor case temps.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
If you dont mind the noise use a vantec tornado 92mm. I have the xp-90 and i love it. Very nice if you dont want to watercool yet. My loads temps on my northwood are around 34-36 and thats oced from 2.4 to 3.0. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Get yourself an XP-120 and a nice Panflo or Delta 120mm fan. Add a little Arctic Silver5 for heat transfer and you will be rockin'. Definitely add a 120mm case fan in the front if the slot is availible. Cut an opening if you have to, but pulling air in the front and blowing it out the back will drop your temps substancially. Be sure to lap your XP-120 when you get it with some 400 and 600 grit sandpaper. That helps a lot too. Your Temps are fine with stock cooling, but will get much better with the addition of the above mentioned items.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by shermstix

Get yourself an XP-120 and a nice Panflo or Delta 120mm fan. Add a little Arctic Silver5 for heat transfer and you will be rockin'. Definitely add a 120mm case fan in the front if the slot is availible. Cut an opening if you have to, but pulling air in the front and blowing it out the back will drop your temps substancially. Be sure to lap your XP-120 when you get it with some 400 and 600 grit sandpaper. That helps a lot too. Your Temps are fine with stock cooling, but will get much better with the addition of the above mentioned items.

thxs a bundle for all your help and suggestions guys i will definatley try them out

1 - 13 of 13 Posts