Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this is someone elses' thread but wanted a fresh start. Here's what I've done so far...

Intel P4 2.4a (s-478 Prescott), 533 fsb, 1mb cache... now running at...
LL
LL

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Not bad so far. What are temps like? If they're acceptable, give it some more vcore and keep pushing!
If you've maxed out the chip, then set CPU:RAM to 4:5.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, my bus speed @ 665 running the RAM @ 166 instead of 200 is fine? The 4:5 ratio looks abit better I think, but both settings seem fine... Havent run Passmark yet, havent had time (gonna do it now I guess).

*edit - said it looks better cause I think I'm paranoid I'm gonna fry somethin and void my warranty...

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
So, my bus speed @ 665 running the RAM @ 166 instead of 200 is fine? The 4:5 ratio looks abit better I think, but both settings seem fine... Havent run Passmark yet, havent had time (gonna do it now I guess).

*edit - said it looks better cause I think I'm paranoid I'm gonna fry somethin and void my warranty...
Both settings should be fine, cuz the RAM is rated to run up to 200 mhz (DDR400). It will probably do at least a little more above and beyond that, but it's at least rated for that much.

If the CPU is maxed, then go to 4:5. If it is not, then FSB is more beneficial than running the RAM faster than the CPU, and you'd be better off leaving it in 1:1 and pushing the CPU as far as it will go.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx, I'm on it...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is how it did on 3D-Mark03, marginally better... But the Norton Performance test score wasnt as high as b4...
LL
LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can see them down on the lower corner on the last 3 pics... My average temp according to MBM5 is about 35-36 deg C. Under load it hasnt hit 50 t my knowledge (yet)... Done a couple quick WindowsTaskManager while gaming and saw a high of 49... =) *right now it says 35...

Here's an update... @ 3.17ghz
LL
LL

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
O.k., I successfully O/C'ed to 3.17 without crashing. Ran Futuremark, Norton Performance test, games, ect... Worked fine, but didnt improve scores very much, if any... So I decided to return to my first O/C of 2.88ghz. I had a couple strange things happen...

1) When I returned to the bios to change the settings back (RAM multi from 2 back to 'auto', and CPU freq back to 160 from 175), the RAM dropped down to DDR 233 er' sumthin, not 400... It wouldnt retain the past settings initially. I rebooted a couple times, and eventually got it right.

2) CU-z still said my clock speed was 3.15 and all the accompanying values. Rebooted a couple more times, and eventuall CPU-z came around correctly.

* AT THIS POINT, MY COMPUTER IS "BACK TO NORMAL" @ 2.88GHZ, 4:5 CPU/RAM... EVERYTHING LOOKED $ PERFORMED LIKE IT DID WHEN I INITIALLY O/C'ED TO 2.88

then I got a brainwave... bad move I guess...

3) the ONLY thing I changed was tightening the ram to 3-8-3-3 from 3-8-4-4...now my pc is all fubar'd... It took longer than usual for windows to start to load (the first time), so I reset it- went back in the bios and doublechecked to make sure everything was ok, and let it go... It took about 30 seconds for it to get to the black-screen with the white bar-graph across the bottom... Another 30 to get through the Windows black boot screen w/logo...

It still takes about that long after many attempts to fix it. Any & every Norton tool, rebooting 15-20 times total...

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Possibly when resetting BIOS, something was enabled or disabled that hadn't been previously. Make sure RAM is set to what it was originally. If it has dropped to a lower divider, that could definitely hinder performace. There should be an option in the first or second menu for "quick boot". Make sure that's set so that quick boot is enabled. As for scores at 3.17, it sounds like the system automatically dropped your RAM divider (333 or 320...it's the same divider, but the actually RAM speed is 320 mhz, cuz 5:4 gives you 200:160, which is 800 mhz FSB CPU
DR320), and that would definitely prevent you from gaining any improvement in scores.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts