Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been at this for a few hours, trying to figure out if there's any possible way to fit my whole watercooling system INSIDE the case..

I've read a bunch about having the res before the pump, and having the res ABOVE the pump..

But I would like to ask you guys what are the downsides of mounting it with the pump higher than the res:

Would the system somehow pump the water to climb the res and go into the pump?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
you want your res to gravity feed your pump

EDIT:

..... i think

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
you COULD mount your res up top horizontally and move the pump to where the res is now ( somewhere in the middle ) and still have it be gravity fed and inside your case.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Once the loop is filled it wont be a problem.

what you can do is not mount the pump until the loop is full.
then put the pump above the res

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Once the loop is filled it can still be a problem!

Pumps like these (centrifugal pumps) are a lot better at pushing fluid than they are at pulling fluid. They depend on a slight head of pressure at inlet to function at their best, without it you will get sub-optimal performance. Also, as Charliehorse said, they can run dry, at which point they will stop moving water all together, bad news for your temperatures. It will also damage the pump, perhaps irreparably. All it takes is one bubble. If the pump is gravity fed it will usually get over a bubble, as there is fluid available to displace the air, but if you depend on the pump to suck more fluid in, it will not happen.

This very issue has recently caused the failure of a large condenser extraction pump at a power station I worked at; a bubble found its way into the pump and within 30 seconds the pump over-sped and the bearings seized, as a result the unit had to go off-load (VERY costly). If it can happen to a (admittedly badly) engineered, hundreds of thousands of dollars installation, it can easily happen in a WC set-up!

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
vapor lock, little bubbles travel to the top and your pump won't be moving anything but air...

pump failure, your coolant is both lubricant and coolant to your pump, run it dry and it will fail...

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Idon't know if you can make it fit, but could you shift the res up a bit and mount the pump underneath, with the inlet facing up? Cant really tell if that would work from the pics, it looks a bit tight though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts