Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Im new to water cooling, never did some before, now I wanna buya Corsaid Obsidian 800d for water cooling which I think its the best one for this type of cooling solution, The things I dont know is How should I build it for only my CPU. And What components should I buy, I want the best stuff on the market, even the best tubing and water coolant. So help me with my new build.

water Block : Heat Killer 3.0
reservoir: XSPC Clear Dual Bay Reservoir
Pump : MCP something
Tubing: best Red tubing
and maybe Im missing some parts.

Need help from professionnal water Cooler

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
If you want to go all out, I'd suggest for the pump getting a Swiftech MCP655 Vario and a custom top like one of the EK tops or possibly a Detroit PC top.

Tubing doesn't matter much. But I've noticed Feser tubing to be very rugged. It's a bit pricey, but the quality reflects that.

For coolant, go with distilled water with PT Nuke which can be purchased from Petrastechshop.

For the radiator, I'd check out the P140.3 if you can find one. Otherwise, look into the Black Ice series or the GTX360.

For standard fittings, Fat Boys are the best. Worm drive clamps will be the safest method, but don't look as good. You can avoid this by getting compression fittings instead which don't require clamps. Bitspower makes some good quality stuff as well.

·
Premium Member
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I use a triple Rad, do you think I'LL be able to cool my CPU AND GPU?

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Most likely. The 5850 doesn't run extremely hot either. Worst case scenario you can always add another radiator.

·
Premium Member
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna buy it tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx
View Post

Otherwise, look into the Black Ice series or the GTX360.

The GTX360 is part of the Black Ice branding.
GTX is the actual series.

·
Premium Member
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of tubing do I need, I mean what size for the heatkiller, my reservoir and my pump!?!

Also should I buy a fanshroud for my Rad?

EDIT: Ok so Im about to buy the Heat Killer 3.0, the MCP 655, a front bay EK Reservoir, the tiple rad P140.3 from thermochill, I dont know what size of barbs or fitting to buy and what tubing size, please help me..

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KaRLiToS
View Post

What kind of tubing do I need, I mean what size for the heatkiller, my reservoir and my pump!?!

Depends. If you want a color scheme, choose a colored tubing from Primochill or Masterkleer. If you don't mind clear tubing, Durelene and Masterkleer unless you're doing tight bends, then Tygon R3603. As for fittings, see this, posted earlier:

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx
View Post

For standard fittings, Fat Boys are the best. Worm drive clamps will be the safest method, but don't look as good. You can avoid this by getting compression fittings instead which don't require clamps. Bitspower makes some good quality stuff as well

When it comes to tubing and fitting sizes, you only need to match inner diameter for regular fittings, but you do have to match inner and outer diameter for compression fittings. As for the actual sizes, anything 3/8" ID or bigger works great.

·
Premium Member
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know but what size ?? 1/4" , 1/2" ??

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
It's usually personal preference. However, if you don't get a custom top for that MCP655, you'll need 1/2" tubing as that has built in fittings. If you really wanted to use another size, you can heat the tubing up and feed it over the fittings that way. However, 1/2" is pretty much the standard size.

I use 1/2" in mine because I have the D5 Vario (MCP655) and my CPU block also came with 1/2" Enzotech fittings.

• Rep+
Reactions: KaRLiToS

·
Premium Member
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool, so for my last question...Can I use compression fitting on the pump MCP 655?

Thank you for your help + rep

·
Premium Member
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian
View Post

Not with the stock top, but you could if you got an aftermarket top like This, or the Detroit Top.

Thank you I might get one, and what about the fans on my Triple 140 mm rad? should I get 6 with fan shrouds, remember that I only have the CPU to cool...but in the furute I might had another component like the GPU?

·
Premium Member
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided to buy a new Radiator

Its the PA140.10 in sli mode

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KaRLiToS
View Post

Thank you I might get one, and what about the fans on my Triple 140 mm rad? should I get 6 with fan shrouds, remember that I only have the CPU to cool...but in the furute I might had another component like the GPU?

You have a lot of freedom with fans, especially with this radiator, as you can use 120mm fans or 140mm fans with it. I would recommend 140's as you will get the best cooling with those. However, the selection is a bit more limited.

I've found FrozenCPU to have the best selection of 140mm fans and they even carry the noiseblockers. These fans are epic and extremely well made, but you definitely pay for it, as they range from $20 to $25 a piece. My second choice would be the Yate Loons as those are great radiator fans as well. You can get them at Jab-tech and Petras for cheaper than FrozenCPU. For a fan controller, I'd recommend either the Sunbeamtech Rheobus Extreme or the Lamptron FC-2.

• Rep+
Reactions: KaRLiToS

·
Premium Member
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What about the fan Shrouds, should I put one as intake, but no shroud exhauts (only fans)

And I will put a front bay reservoir, should I get a dual bay or single bay for my loop (only CPU to cool) but maybe i'll add the GPU into the loop

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
With the reservoir, it's only purpose is to look cool and make refilling the loop easy. So you can get whichever you like between the two. Shrouds are going to be more difficult as you'd have to buy some more 140mm fans and break those or make some in another way. They're not necessary, but they will help temperatures as they help build static pressure and account for the dead spot in the middle of the fans.

It really comes down to how much you want to spend. You don't need them on both sides, like you said.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts