Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
I really wouldnt think you would be able to unless you took it apart and fiddles with it. Im sure they are made only for the RPM's they were manufactured for though.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
You could overvolt the motor to increase the spindle speed...whether or not that will actually help performance is anyone's guess. Overclocking the PCI bus could also be interpreted as overclocking your hard since it lives off the PCI bus, but again, that just causes harm more than anything else

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
you can'd overclock simply because a hdd is manufactured to read at a set speed, apparently the fastest IDE speed's 133? i think, and if you exceed that speed , you'll corrupt all your data because you've made the floppies spin faster than the heads can read it at.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Well bare in mind that even a raport can only output data at a sustained rate of around 90MB/s, and my 7,200rpm ATA100 drive does about 60MB/s. The extra bus speeds are for burst ratings, which can be whatever. And just to clear it up, they're not called floppies, they're called platters because they're not floppy at all, they're made of aluminum

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
heh you could overclock the motor on it if you want to wreck it or burn it up before BFHing like a friend of mine did (check the off topic
)

·
Registered
467 Posts
A friend told me that he run his ATA66 at ATA100, changing something in BIOS, I heard the motor making a louder noise, it improved, but died after a few days, LOL, he learned in the bad way LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts