Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I have just built a gaming rig and wanted to hear from the experts wether or not to further OC a 6800 Ultra. from 425 MHz to ++ 447
or leave well enough alone. I can bench the 05 to 5122 and the 03 to 12500.
Is the performance gain worth loosing the warranty. Thanks from a newbee

PS P4 3.2 2G DDR Ram

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by =VYSION=

Guys I have just built a gaming rig and wanted to hear from the experts wether or not to further OC a 6800 Ultra. from 425 MHz to ++ 447

PS P4 3.2 2G DDR Ram

what brand is it?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

PS P4 3.2 2G DDR Ram

You will never notice the difference of a couple extra MHz in anything other than benchmarks so base you decsion on that.

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Quote:

OUCH thats what I mean newbee! BFG 6800 Ultra OC to 425

bfg has lifetime warranty. (excellent choice btw) and also comes with overclocking software if im not mistaken.
if thats the case ^^^ the OC away

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

lol nice save spooked, I didn't even notice
Thread moved to the nVidia section

Dont make me come take your job from you....

Shame on you yiffster

=VYSION= try increasing your agp arperature size to 256 if it isnt already set at that..

Also try to eliminate any background programs while benchmarking...

Umm what speed P4???

you got 2 gigs of ram???
ive actually seen a case where a computer scored higher with 1 gig of ram after they took 1 gig out of there system that had 2gigs... 150 points in 3dmark03...

ALSO... get some of the latest drivers from nvidia like 71.20 are pretty good for benching .. i dont bench too much but i kinow some people use omega drivers and other modified drivers... you might want to try some of them for your card

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
But it clearly states in their warranty that if the card is overclocked beyond factory default settings the warranty is void. More than likely a manufacture will never know whether or not the card was overclocked or not and with modern fail-safes every where these days, you'd have to try to fry your card. If you feel a need for it (to boost benchmarks or whatever, but you won't see a differnece in game), then go for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This forum rocks thanks for the help. I wouldn't bench at all because it doesn't really matter but I will look for the drivers and check my aperature. I don't have any problems running HL2 or MOHPA. Just a little friendly comp.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

But it clearly states in their warranty that if the card is overclocked beyond factory default settings the warranty is void. More than likely a manufacture will never know whether or not the card was overclocked or not and with modern fail-safes every where these days, you'd have to try to fry your card. If you feel a need for it (to boost benchmarks or whatever, but you won't see a differnece in game), then go for it.

AS long as he doesnt try to flash the bios with too much Voltage he should be ok
and that way noone would know he ocd his GPU

·
Registered
712 Posts
well... IF he managed to OC it too far and break it he can always give the flash chip on the card a massive ESD to kill it... most manufacturers assume that when they sell cards with instructions to be installed by the user they will get some back fried because of improper handling (or possibly from shipping problems) just place the card on a metal surface like the top of your PC case... run your hands over your television screen or monitor if it's a crt to build up a huge charge and then don;t touch anything else but the graphics card's BIOS chip. you'll get your usual "ow that hurt" shock and it wil be fairly safe to say the manufacturer won;t even be able to pull the chip off to see what you did.

also... leaving well enough alone could alleviate all of this trouble as your scores are rather impressive anyways and going any further will likely just leave you video card-less after some use.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittani

well... IF he managed to OC it too far and break it he can always give the flash chip on the card a massive ESD to kill it... most manufacturers assume that when they sell cards with instructions to be installed by the user they will get some back fried because of improper handling (or possibly from shipping problems) just place the card on a metal surface like the top of your PC case... run your hands over your television screen or monitor if it's a crt to build up a huge charge and then don;t touch anything else but the graphics card's BIOS chip. you'll get your usual "ow that hurt" shock and it wil be fairly safe to say the manufacturer won;t even be able to pull the chip off to see what you did.

also... leaving well enough alone could alleviate all of this trouble as your scores are rather impressive anyways and going any further will likely just leave you video card-less after some use.

or you could take a bic click lighter and take the little electrode out of it and click it a couple of times right on the bips chip

1 - 14 of 14 Posts