Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum,

I'm relatively new on this forum, though I have used it to gain knowledge about overclocking, terms and building an understanding for OC'ing.

After reading an OC test on a similar setup. I have managed following:

Case: Lian Li PC-P50R Armorsuit
Power: Corsair TX-650W
Fans: Lian Li supplied ones (dual 140mm in the top, 120mm in front and rear)
Cpu cooler: Zalman CNPS9900NT
Memory: OCZ3P1600V2G
Windows version: W7 Home Premium 64bit

BIOS settings:

CPU Ratio: 19
BCLK Freq. : 200 MHz
PCI-E Freq. : 101 MHz
DRAM Freq. : 1603 MHz
CPU Voltage: 1.20v
QPI/DRAM Voltage: 1.25v
DRAM Bus voltage: auto
Load-line: Enabled
CPU Diff A.: 1000mV

I have tested it through Real Temp 3.40 and the results are:

Avg Distance to TJMax on:
100% Load = 33 35 34 37
52% Load = 47 49 47 50
27% Load = 52 54 52 54
1% Load = 60 62 59 62

Asus PC probe reports 31c on CPU and Motherboard, when just fooling around in windows, browsing etc. This would be around 40-41c in Real Temp.

What my question is. Do I go for the 4ghz or even 4,2ghz with aircooling in mind or is my current setup to much considering aircooled setup. I have to say, that I'm amazed about the Lian Li with the cooling it has, compared to my old case.

If you say it's fine with 4.0 ghz and even 4.2. What BIOS changes do you then recommend. Would it be a good time to increase the Vcore, but that would generate much more heat.

thx in advanced...GREAT forum

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Do it, you have tons of head room, atleast 10*c in temps and 0.1v to play with on the Vcore. 4.2Ghz should be possible.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Welcome to OCN!!!
Lots of people here have 4ghz+ on aircooling including me
. If you want to get 4ghz+ I would first change the cpu ratio to 20x and turn on turbo boost. Test for stability with prime95 or another stress tester for around 8+ hours (the mroe the better
). If it's stable increase the bclk by 10 and stress test again. Repeat the process. If it's not stable and you get a bsod (blue screen of death
), look at what the error code is (example: 0x00000001) and google the code. If you can't find it, come back and post the code here on ocn and we will try to figure ti out. If you get a code thats like 0x00001 thats vcore that you need to raise.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Im also running p6x58d-e, ive managed to get stock temps with a Corsair A70 push/pull cpu cooler at 4005mhz on a i7 950. Yeah I indeed had to raise the Vcore a bit, (1.29v) but with the A70 on a push/pull i have it flowing air towards the top of the Case (Storm scout) where this a nice 140mm to exhaust seeing as heat rises anyways. Dont have much experience with Zalmans, but if you raise the Vcore to achieve 4ghz, i wouldnt stress too much but i wouldnt raise it much either. You should be peachy on air cooled at 4ghz, i have not ventured past that on air though....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx kckyle. That helped a lot. I was trying all kinda stuff, but I couldn't get 4ghz stable, even during heat up test in Real Temp. Now It has gone through the sensor test in Real temp without errors @ 4009mhz, so now it's time for a long heat test.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I would aim for the middle, 4.0 GHz. As I've discovered, the difference between 4.2 GHz and 4.0 GHz is not large enough to justify the extra volts and heat. Suggested BIOS changes:

* CPU Ratio = 20
* PCI-E Freq. = Auto (no need to manually set it)
* QPI/DRAM Voltage set to 1.35V (I found this helps with stability)

Bump your CPU Voltage up a notch from what you have now, then try a Problem Size = 10000 run of LinX, if that works, try running LinX again using all of your RAM (change the "Memory:" droplist to maximum), and run LinX once more. If you really want to test for stability, try 24 hours of Prime95 using the "Blend" setting.

If any test fails, simply bump up your CPU Voltage a notch and re-run the tests until they succeed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
multiplier 21x yields the best stability, for 4.2Ghz 200x21, 4.0 191x21. Also, I'd set your DRAM Bus/DIMM voltage to 1.65v manually as Auto hardly goes that high and could cause instability as the RAM speeds up along w/ the bclk. Also, force the RAM timings in BIOS settings to those rated for your RAM to ensure no instability occur w/ RAMs. I'd set command rate from 1N to 2N as it helps with a lot of RAM issues while not decreasing performance except by pico seconds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts