Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start my own thread because of unusual problems and the Devils Canyon thread can get hectic.

So here's the deal from the top: I had a complete stock 4790K setup running turbo 4.4 on stock cooler... started getting BSOD for overheating, so I looked into it and not only picked up a water cooler but noticed Auto 4.4 ran @1.38v (ya not a typo)

So I figured with the water cooler I can not only drop the temps but possibly the voltage with a higher clock.. I mean everyone else is.

So I started reading/researching.. and then OC'ing..however I was getting issues where my OC's were getting lower benchmarks scores than stock 4.4Ghz... Problem was power issues, where my CPU Package and CPU Core weren't getting sufficient wattage.. with the help of a member I got that sorted out! finally something positive.

After that I started seeing good results, good numbers that increased with higher clocks

I managed to get [email protected] stable for an hour of Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.. Temps reached high of 76*c everything seemed fine.

So I started up my game and here is my problem.. After ~10 minutes of good gaming, I get stuttering issues, FPS drop and bounce all over the place.. !

I was told potentially unstable OC, even though it seemed pretty solid ( I know its only an hr of testing.. but some people don't do more than that). Anyway So I dropped my clock to 4.6 and started testing using the game.

[email protected] - Stutter
@1.31v - Stutter
@1.35v - Stutter
@1.38v - Stutter
@1.40v - Stutter

At this point, do I look at other causes?

GPU, I installed an older driver version.. stutter, I checked power saving in Windows, set to performance.. stutter

Monitored GPU with hwinfo, clocks stay solid no indication of anything failing..
also monitored everything else hwinfo shows me.. nothing out of the ordinary!!

I'm really stuck on this one.. looking for more suggestions? Where do I look? what possible changes do I make?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,746 Posts
I'm start thinking maybe the games itself that doesn't stable. Try to play a single player mode instead of multi. See what happen. Also, did you experience the stutter on all of your games? or only specific game?

Disable all power saving features (such as speedstep, and C-states)

or one of your hardware have a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried disabling power features.. all of them.. it also cut out my Package and Cores for power.. wasnt getting enough wattage so I keep them Auto

.. I just set everything back to Stock form.. Im stuffering more than when I OC

.. gotta jump into the case.. maybe hardware? honestly it started when i installed Water Cooler but it works really well soo hard to believe its that

Gonna try another game also.. yes Only tried the one.. the only one I play regularly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,746 Posts
There are a lot of possibility that causes you experienced the stutter.

The game itself (it can be confirmed once you try another game)
The CPU Itself
Try to remount the cooler (you maybe uses too much energy to mount the cooler, so the cpu got an incredible pressure)
The GPU (try another one, or another brand)
The PSU (the PSU itself or the cables that come with it)

also, what about your RAM? are they overclocked?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked in case pulled wires and plugged things back in.. nothing lose..

The cooler is very easy and has tightening stops.. cant over tighten.

Don't have another GPU to try... But tried CS:GO and it works fine no stutter

I'm re installing Americas Army see if that does anything

I did not OCing RAM

I put the GPU through Full Mark test.. seems ok

potential crap PSU? who knows maybe.. hard to test that one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,241 Posts
It sounds like you never had everything working fine from stock settings right? That seems to be a problem... Worst case you can install fresh wnidows on another drive, see if stuttering occurs there. If not then it's your windows install...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,595 Posts
are your clocks fluctuating on your cpu?

I had a problem similar because of APM would throttle my CPU and turn half of my cores down to idle clocks while gaming, it would make my fps plummet.

and are you getting this stuttering out of videogames? like when web browsing, or is it only when the CPU is put under load?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadmoto View Post

are your clocks fluctuating on your cpu?

I had a problem similar because of APM would throttle my CPU and turn half of my cores down to idle clocks while gaming, it would make my fps plummet.

and are you getting this stuttering out of videogames? like when web browsing, or is it only when the CPU is put under load?
Ive been monitoring everything!! there is no throttling going on and no clocks drop when this occurs, nether do the clocks on my GPU.. things stay solid

yes only video games.. well only 1 game.. since Quake and CS seem to work OK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFir View Post

It sounds like you never had everything working fine from stock settings right? That seems to be a problem... Worst case you can install fresh wnidows on another drive, see if stuttering occurs there. If not then it's your windows install...
Yes when Stock form has 4.4Ghz @ 1.38v .. I think its not right lol

think a bad OS install could do something like this? because a few people have suggested to start fresh.. its a lot of work ..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doba View Post

Ive been monitoring everything!! there is no throttling going on and no clocks drop when this occurs, nether do the clocks on my GPU.. things stay solid

yes only video games.. well only 1 game.. since Quake and CS seem to work OK
Okie, I have to ask because APM has been a culprit for other members here.

Which game are you trying to play? some games are picky with OCing, I know BF4 hates any GPU OC on my 7870XT, almost every other game I can go up to 1100 from 975 but bf4 will crash randomly if I have it off of stock.
frown.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadmoto View Post

Okie, I have to ask because APM has been a culprit for other members here.

Which game are you trying to play? some games are picky with OCing, I know BF4 hates any GPU OC on my 7870XT, almost every other game I can go up to 1100 from 975 but bf4 will crash randomly if I have it off of stock.
frown.gif
I play Americas Army Proving Grounds.. now I know its a poor game.. but It ran fine for almost 2 yrs now.. It stutters even when at stock now .. soo OC has nothing to do with it anymore
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doba View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFir View Post

It sounds like you never had everything working fine from stock settings right? That seems to be a problem... Worst case you can install fresh wnidows on another drive, see if stuttering occurs there. If not then it's your windows install...
Yes when Stock form has 4.4Ghz @ 1.38v .. I think its not right lol

think a bad OS install could do something like this? because a few people have suggested to start fresh.. its a lot of work ..
I'm suggesting getting a dummy drive and reinstalling on that. So you can revert back. The idea is to isolate software hardware. If you have another spare drive then great, disconnect your current drive and give it a whirl.

If you do not have another spare drive then partition it? I don't know how the windows systemreserved partition will work but I think you could do that in worst case scenario. Diskmgmt.msc, shrink your drive, then install windows on that new one.
You will have to edit your MBR or something or I could be wrong (someone please help me I'm drowning here haha) if you want to revert back (?). This is sticky and I think others will recommend you not partition your drive if it comes down to this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFir View Post

I'm suggesting getting a dummy drive and reinstalling on that. So you can revert back. The idea is to isolate software hardware. If you have another spare drive then great, disconnect your current drive and give it a whirl.

If you do not have another spare drive then partition it? I don't know how the windows systemreserved partition will work but I think you could do that in worst case scenario. Diskmgmt.msc, shrink your drive, then install windows on that new one.
You will have to edit your MBR or something or I could be wrong (someone please help me I'm drowning here haha) if you want to revert back (?). This is sticky and I think others will recommend you not partition your drive if it comes down to this.
I dont have too much crap on my PC to begin with, my best bet would be to get SSD drive (ya I know) and start fresh.. might just do that .. software elimination.. youre right maybe something is causing the problem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SO as someone suggested before, it is the game that is the problem not my PC not my OC just the stupid game.. Disabling the entire HUD gets rid of the problem.. as to why that is.. no idea.. poor optimized game.

Thanks for the patience
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top