Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to overclock my friend's computer a little further (it's a 3.0Ghz pga478 prescott and it had been working stable @ 3.65Ghz with no vcore increase) and so I raised the vcore to 1.500v and tried 3.8Ghz. The computer rebooted and the monitor didn't turn on (that desperate sign one gets that the oc failed). So, I thought, no worries, I'll just remove the jumper and no biggie... (btw, the mobo was a MSI 848p neo-v). I did that and the pc still wouldn't turn on. So I thought, I'll remove the battery, it's worked before. I removed it for 15seconds and then placed it back in again. It didn't work. I don't know what to do anymore. When I press the power button it turns on and not 1 sec it shuts itself down again. It looks like that something made of metal is touching the motherboard and not allowing it to start (they got this safety measure that doesn't allow them to start if something is risking a short-circuit).
Any suggestions?

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
Yuo'll probably find it has nothing todo with your OC, you probably moved something when changing the jumper.

Alos, after changing the jumper to reset the cmos, did you then power on, and after that did you put the jumper into it's original position.

If you did the above correctly, then check cab;es and stuff as you might off moved or touched sometihng when doing the jumpers

I hope i've helped. Get back too me/us after you check

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
I'd try unplugging all non-essential devices to see if that helps.

Also, i once experienced a similar problem and had to do the following to resolve it:
1. Unplug power cord
2. Press on button on front of machine to discharge any remaining power.
3. Remove the battery from the motherboard
4. Short the cmos jumper for a few seconds
5. Re-insert the battery
6. Reconnect power cord and turn on.

It might also be worth holding down 'Insert' during the startup, as on some motherboards this resets everything to factory defaults.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
i think you know how to clear a cmos, but just to check, you replaced the jumper, correct? just because you didn't mention it in your post.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATVkid*AFZ*

i think you know how to clear a cmos, but just to check, you replaced the jumper, correct? just because you didn't mention it in your post.

Yea, I did. I've already asked my friend to take the whole pc apart and re-build it. He'll do it when he has the time, probably tomorrow

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
965 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack

Yea, I did. I've already asked my friend to take the whole pc apart and re-build it. He'll do it when he has the time, probably tomorrow

Thanks for all your help

Just cause you wernt specific i'l ask this

Did you take the jumper off, put it on to short it, then take it off again, and return to its stock location?

Mine is 3 pins, 1 and 2 are normal use, to clear cmos, you short 2 and 3, then put it back on 1 and 2 and its cleared

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towlieee

Just cause you wernt specific i'l ask this

Did you take the jumper off, put it on to short it, then take it off again, and return to its stock location?

Mine is 3 pins, 1 and 2 are normal use, to clear cmos, you short 2 and 3, then put it back on 1 and 2 and its cleared

Yea, that's just the way I did it, I know how to clear CMOS

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
glad i/we could help. hope you can resolve it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
233 Posts
Make sure components like the memory ate in tight I made that mistake before. Cost me about 2 hours..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts