Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wouldnt it be cool if we could set up a game server just for the members of oc.net to have deathmatches and stuff against eachother on.

It would require a server and a fast internet connection (obviously), but these things can be rented really cheap (or maybe i could even host it on one of my servers). If we were renting, we would need a small contribution from everyone who wanted to participate (to cover the costs).

We could have games like Quake, Unreal, Doom, Halflife and other stuff all running on there.

What do you all think?

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

host a game with one computer??? can you host more than one game on one computer??? or would we alternate a schedule for the server???

Nope, we could host loads of games on one server. Most of them run on different ports so there wouldnt be any conflicts

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

more than one game running off of one CPU???
sorry im not up on servers....

Yeah, when you host a game on a server, all it does it provides a 'kind of' router for you all to play against eachother. The server does not need a massive amount of power and can normally host around 4 games with a reasonable spec.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes to the machine.
No to the connection.

The connection needs to be really rapid, otherwise people will get lag - and thats very bad when trying to frag people.

You need a proper connection, something like 2mbyte up/down minimum.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Yes to the machine.
No to the connection.

The connection needs to be really rapid, otherwise people will get lag - and thats very bad when trying to frag people.

You need a proper connection, something like 2mbyte up/down minimum.

Yeah, most home connections arent good enough for gaming servers.

·
Registered
698 Posts
T1!

They actually arent that bad to rent, the install fees will murder you though.

mmm OC48 and 2.46 Gbits of bandwidth.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

i guess its a no then...

Correctamundo. You can run a small game server out of your home, but usually not any more than about 6 people, or you will lag.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denmor

T1!

They actually arent that bad to rent, the install fees will murder you though.

mmm OC48 and 2.46 Gbits of bandwidth.

Arent that bad? The cheapest I found in my area is $550 a month for T1. Compared to my $40 a month, 4Mb down and 500K up, no thank you.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

Arent that bad? The cheapest I found in my area is $550 a month for T1. Compared to my $40 a month, 4Mb down and 500K up, no thank you.

or stuff getting it piped into your house, and rent out a server+connection for like £50 a month. Split among 10-20 people that is peanuts.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It would be fun if we could arrange something. We could have 2 teams - the AMD team and the Intel team

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

It would be fun if we could arrange something. We could have 2 teams - the AMD team and the Intel team

Now, that I like

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

Now, that I like

Well, maybe i should set up a poll for it, and find out how many people would be interested in the idea, and if they would be willing to pay a small subscription fee (e.g £50 divided by however many players).

Also, it would be a good idea to ask admin if this would be OK with him, as we would need to use the overclock.net name for the team, and also do some sort of advertising on the site for it to be popular.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

Correctamundo. You can run a small game server out of your home, but usually not any more than about 6 people, or you will lag.

ummmm i'm running a Game server and I can host at least 12 people before i get any lag or they do. My internet line speed is 4.8mb/s

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Wouldnt it be cool if we could set up a game server just for the members of oc.net to have deathmatches and stuff against eachother on.

It would require a server and a fast internet connection (obviously), but these things can be rented really cheap (or maybe i could even host it on one of my servers). If we were renting, we would need a small contribution from everyone who wanted to participate (to cover the costs).

We could have games like Quake, Unreal, Doom, Halflife and other stuff all running on there.

What do you all think?

I could host yas a small Battlefield server,I got the server and the connection??

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Well, maybe i should set up a poll for it, and find out how many people would be interested in the idea, and if they would be willing to pay a small subscription fee (e.g £50 divided by however many players).

Also, it would be a good idea to ask admin if this would be OK with him, as we would need to use the overclock.net name for the team, and also do some sort of advertising on the site for it to be popular.

I'm definitely interested, but if the server is in the UK, US players wont get good pings and vise versa... So that would be a bit of a problem.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts